A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 04:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Rattle/squeak from trunk in B8 Avant???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're supposed to knock out the hostage before putting them in your trunk.

Could it be your rear door liner/gasket?
Old 04-13-2014, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 A4 Avant that had a rattle in the back since the car was new. From the driver's seat the noise seemed like it was coming from inside the car at the right rear corner. I removed all of the interior panels behind the back seat and along the left and right sides along with tool storage, spare tire, jack, etc., and still had the noise. After several trips over rough roads while riding in the back of the car I discovered the noise was coming from a location between the headliner and the roof just about 6 inches forward of the headliner seam just ahead of the rear hatch. There are a couple of metal brackets connected to the headliner, about 12" either side of center, that were bumping against the roof. I removed the rear most section of headliner to get to the brackets and padded the area with some 1" diameter stick on felt pads. Noise is gone.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

From your description that sounds like a very similar issue that I have! I have a 2011 MY as well, but the noise only started this winter. I noticed that the noise is louder when I drive over bumps with my rear right wheel, so it could be the same defect.

I am very curious about how you went about removing and fixing the noise. Did you find instructions online on how to remove the headliner? Did you bring this issue up with the dealer and have them try to fix it as well? I have a service appointment tomorrow and am wondering whether or not to bring it up.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I didn't check with the dealer, just started carefully removing panels. The strip of headliner just ahead of the hatch door is removed by gently pushing it out the back of the car. With the hatch open work fingers into the seam between the main headliner that runs to the front of the car the narrow section that ends at the rear of the car. Push the narrow section straight back. It should come unclipped. Once it is out you can look up inside the roof area and see the rattley clips. On mine I could bang on the headliner just to the front of the headliner seam and reproduce the rattle.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks utahinfidel for getting back to me! I removed the panel and followed your advice, but unfortunately the noise persists...

I do not know what more to do. The dealer was not able to replicate the noise and I have gone through the trunk and tightened everything that I could

Any other suggestions?