A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 04:12 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Rattle/squeak from trunk in B8 Avant???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle/squeak from trunk in B8 Avant???

I cannot for the life of me figure out where this rattle/squeak is coming from in the trunk. I have removed everything from the trunk (tray, spare tire, jack, tools from tool tray, etc.), but the noise still persists! I believe the battery is screwed down tightly and I checked the side compartments but I cannot find anything loose.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? I would really appreciate any help before it drives me insane!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Have you looked into the rear suspension, sway bay links and upper shock mounts, or exhaust heatshields. I would grab the exhaust just give a firm shake see if the noise presents itself, same with the shocks and what not. try to isolate which area of the car its coming from you will find eventually.

good luck!
Old 03-16-2014, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say "everything is removed from the trunk" I assume you included the retractable cargo cover and cargo net. Is the liftgate loose or shifting (aren't there rubber bump stops that can be adjusted)? Sure it's not your panoramic sunroof?
Old 03-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

@Ballistix234 I have not looked into the rear suspension, sway bay links and upper shock mounts, or exhaust heatshields. I am not quite sure how to go about doing this, but I will give the exhaust system a shake to see if that is the culprit.

@BMWBig6 I did remove the cargo cover and net as well thanks! I was reading online and other threads mention the the actual locking mechanism or struts could be the source of the noise, but I will definitely try to adjust the rubber bumps that you mentioned to see if that sorts the issue out. I pushed up on the sunroof and tried it open and closed, which has enabled me to rule it out.

I greatly appreciate the input thus far! I will try these things out then take it out for another drive! In the meantime, any other suggestions would be appreciated as well thanks!
Old 03-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

With the car flat get a firm hold on the sway bar, close to the sway bar link ball joint and shake up and down. the sway bar cannot be twisted (one wheel up and one wheel down) this will create load on the link joints. Try to shake the link in the natural movement of the joint. if there is play or movement
it will cause a dull loud rattle or a repeating thud. check all four corners. for the shocks a little more involved may be best to check all other possibilities and bring it to a trusted mechanic.

When does the rattle occur revving up when the car it moving? or at stop? is it a tin like noise?

It is extremely cold where i live right now. I am think my rattle is a seized shock right rear (frozen) and an exhaust heatshield. I have a heated garage, parked it in there and it seems to be ok when it warms up, minus the heatshield rattle, which is driving me completely nuts!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Ballistix234 for getting back to me again. The rattle only occurs when I hit bumps or potholes in the road. I tried hitting bumps with the left and right rear wheels and noticed that the noise is louder when the right rear hits. The noise is a combination of a squeak and a rattle. It sounds a bit metallic, but am not quite certain. I park in a heated garage as well and the noise occurs regardless if I leave the car outside or in. I tried what you suggested with the sway bar, but I do not think it is the source

Does anyone have experience with reporting such things to Audi? My warranty ends in August and I want to be sure to address any problems before it does.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I bet it's the liftgate. Having had a hatchback in the past, this is not an atypical issue for such cars. I had the bump stops extended as much as possible and had the hook the liftgate lock mated with wrapped up with some tape to make for a tight fit. I had to also take the plastic lining of the liftgate apart to eliminate any wiggle room of the cables. If your liftgate can't be closed tightly, you can check that by slamming the driver's door while looking at the liftgate. If it moves under the air pressure, then it's loose.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also have a rattle from the cargo area. It SOUNDS like the tools rattling in the case, but they don't seem loose. I've been intending on laying the seats down and riding back there while someone else drives my car, but haven't done it yet. The only thing more annoying is the sunroof creak.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was poking around today as well and based on gunsmoker's advice, I looked at the plastic covering on the liftgate itself. It appears to be a tad loose, but I have no idea how I would go about removing it or tightening it for that matter. Does anyone have any ideas? When the electron liftgate slams shut, it seems to pull in and tightens by itself so I do not think this is the problem

@dscline I removed all the tools just to be sure that this was not the problem. I like how the tool tray and the jack have clips to secure every piece in place. I even drove around with my seats folded flat to ensure the anchoring points were not the issue. I am one step short of having someone drive me around as well, but not sure if I will get around to it. That is too bad about your sunroof! Have you tried to get Audi to look at it?
Old 03-18-2014, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Ocranius
That is too bad about your sunroof! Have you tried to get Audi to look at it?
Yes, despite my explaining to them that it only happens when closed or popped up, but NOT when fully opened, they "solved" it by smearing a bunch of grease around the gasket (most of which isn't in contact when popped up). Did nothing other than make a mess all over my roof the next time I washed it. I feel like it's somewhere in the mechanism that supports/moves the sunroof on the passenger side, but I don't know how to get to it.

Quick Reply: Rattle/squeak from trunk in B8 Avant???