01 A6 2.8 Quattro oil and temp problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 A6 2.8 Quattro oil and temp problems

So I am new to this forum but it seems that most of the information I have read through everyone for the most part seems to know a thing or two about these cars. This is my first Audi and don't get me wrong I do like the car. I am having an issue though that I have tried and tried to fix. The car was leaking oil when I got it so I tore the motor apart. I ended up putting new upper intake gaskets in as well as new cam shaft plugs, valve cover gaskets, new spark plug gaskets so more or less about every gasket on the top end has been replaced and I still have a stupid oil leak. I am about to the point of no end now as again yesterday I tore back into the motor thinking I found the leak on the passenger side with the EGR valve not having a gasket on it. I fixed that and still it leaks. Any other help would be so much appreciated..........also to throw another issue in with the oil issue.....I am having a problem with the car warming up to normal temp where it should be but as soon as I drive it down the highway or around town the temp gauge drops to the cold mark. The car still blows heat but not as it should. I am in the process of changing out the thermostat. I read somewhere someone said it was maybe the temp sensor....well I pulled that out cleaned it up and it is working just fine. Any help on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated........Thank you so much for all the info
Old 03-04-2014, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Here is where I am at with this car.....I told you guys all the previous work that I had done to this car with all the gaskets being replaced on the top end.....well I was looking at the car and found that the EGR valve is what is leaking......is this a common problem with these cars? I can see a fairly constant drip........drip.........drip............drip from the EGR valve area.....will be looking into it further and going from there......
Old 03-04-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need a new thermostat for your temprature issue.

As far as the oil leak. You did do the chain tensioner gasket and half moons right? If you didnt thats a big oil leak area.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

no I did not do those gaskets or those half moon plugs...I tore into the motor again today and replaced the non existent gasket that was on the EGR where it bolts to the motor....I was looking at the motor while in the process of replacing the gasket and it looks to me like a guy needs to take out the cams in order to replace the gasket and the half moon plug....am I correct on this or is there a way to replace them without having to remove the cams? As far as the thermostat is there a way to replace or get at it without having to take the front clip off the car? I have watched numerous videos on how to do so but don't know how I feel about tearing the entire front end off the car.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ngieser
no I did not do those gaskets or those half moon plugs...I tore into the motor again today and replaced the non existent gasket that was on the EGR where it bolts to the motor....I was looking at the motor while in the process of replacing the gasket and it looks to me like a guy needs to take out the cams in order to replace the gasket and the half moon plug....am I correct on this or is there a way to replace them without having to remove the cams? As far as the thermostat is there a way to replace or get at it without having to take the front clip off the car? I have watched numerous videos on how to do so but don't know how I feel about tearing the entire front end off the car.
Yes you can do it without removing the cams. You compress the tensioner with the special tool, there cheap online. And then you unbolt it, and pry it upwards to gain room, remove the gasket, remove the half moon. Use compressed air and brake cleaner to try and clean it all out underneath and dry. Put the half moon in and make sure its set in evenly. Put a small dab of silicone on each corner of the half moon, put the gasket in, and bolt it all back up.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is it possible to replace the thermostat without having to pull the cams out on the passenger side?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is it possible to replace the thermostat without having to pull the cams out on the passenger side?
my mistake I meant is it possible to do without having to tear apart the front end of the car or can a guy get at it leaving everything together.....I am trying to do this in between my wife needing the car for work so I have to make quick work of what I am doing most days.....
Old 03-05-2014, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

my mistake I meant is it possible to do without having to tear apart the front end of the car or can a guy get at it leaving everything together.....I am trying to do this in between my wife needing the car for work so I have to make quick work of what I am doing most days.....
No entire front end needs pulled forward and the timing belt removed to remove the thermostat
Old 03-05-2014, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

sounds good.....I guess I will see what I am looking at and give it a shot.....just to throw it out there.....I tore apart the valve cover on the passenger side today and without having the "special tool" had plenty of room to get the old gasket and half moon out and fixed up nicely enough to not leak oil on that side of the motor anymore.....one step at a time.....tomorrow will consist of doing the drivers side and getting that taken care of.....I hope it goes good and everything works out for me......
Old 03-06-2014, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Got the oil issue solved.....no more drips.....no more leaks........a sigh of relief.....thanks for the help on this issue and directing me in the direction of the half moon plugs needing replacement....I would have gone crazy trying to figure it out myself....now the thermostat issue......anyone done this without pulling the front of the car off???????

Quick Reply: 01 A6 2.8 Quattro oil and temp problems