Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Hitch - Anyone installed one himself?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default SQ5 Hitch - Anyone installed one himself?

I installed factory hitch myself on my '12 Q5 and I was wondering if installation is the same on SQ5.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I'm the only one on here who has done it so far. I would guess it is the same as the regular Q5 except for diffuser cover options. I cut my stock diffuser panel with a dremel to fit the hitch but you can also buy a separate cover that has a hole for the hitch and electrical connection. I didn't install the electrical parts because I only use it for a bike rack, so I didn't need the larger opening diffuser panel.

It was not a super simple install given that taking the bumper off is always a challenge, but once it was all done I'm glad I did it myself instead of paying $300-$900 for a shop or dealer to do it. All in all it cost me $650 for the parts and about 3 hours of my time (I'm slow). It looks way better than aftermarket parts.

Here's a few pics. https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...2#post24523022
I haven't taken the time to do the whole write up yet but I'll post that in this thread when I can.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://audipartsforless.com/
Part number: 8R0 092 115 (included electrical module which I didn't use)
Cost $620 plus $35 shipping from AZ

Bumper removal instructions:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2793144

Hitch install instructions (which are a little vague):
http://parts.audiusa.com/media/image...2003_25_11.pdf

Using the above instructions, I managed to get this done. Here are some photos of how the actual hitch is bolted on:

Here is what you see when you unscrew the cargo net rings and lift up the felted panel. Note the large silver bolt heads:

This is the opposite side but with the silver bolts removed and the cargo ring mounting point removed (bottom left of photo is rear of car):

My poor bumper laying on a rug. Note the square openings where the aluminum bumper beam used to sit:

Hitch inserted into bumper beam mounting rails:

Bolts for installing the hitch (in black). Note that they are a few threads longer than the original silver bolts. I have no idea if that matters, but I used the black hitch bolts:

Cargo ring bracket installed with hitch bolts (black) screwed into hitch rail/arm/whatever (top of photo is rear of car). Compare with photo #2 where the bracket is removed and the holes exposed:

And that is how the hitch bolts in. I didn't do the electrical part because I don't need it. The bumper removal and re-install is the hard part and cutting the diffuser panel to fit the hitch is a bit tricky. The alternative to cutting it is to buy the replacement panel that accommodates the hitch and electrical connector (I don't know this part number).

For fun, here is the exhaust valve actuator. My car had like 600 miles on it and already the exhaust and actuator looked like it had 50k miles on it. Nasty:
Old 01-21-2014, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the hitch on a '14 TDI, and yes, it looks identical to the install on the SQ5. I installed the electronics package as well.

You will need the electronics mounting frame as well if you decide to install them, and will need to code to take it into account...

On mine, without coding I was getting ABS and TPMS errors, so you'll want to either wait to plug in the module, or plan to code before you drive.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I am glad to hear you were able to find a hitch that works with the SQ5. My dealer said "Audi does not offer a hitch for the SQ5, Q5 only". Total B.S. in my opinion. But, unlike you, I would like the electronics as well as just the hitch.