99 a6 need help please!!!limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 a6 need help please!!!limp mode

I have a 1999 A6 that is automatic/triptronic* and has 151,000 miles on it. I just purchased it about a month ago. I noticed that it was shifting kind of rough and I read somewhere that it might be a MAF, so I bought some maf cleaner and cleaned it. Shortly after I put it back together, the car goes into limp mode. My check engine light is not on, but all my gears on the display screen are lite up bright red. when i shift from park into any gear it jerks real hard and makes a thump sound, it also does this going into park. When i first drive it it goes into high rpms before finally shifting into 2nd gear. it seems to do ok after i start cycleing through the gears but somedays it is better then other days, also my triptronic shifting is completely not working. I checked the tcu and it barely had any moisture on the outside and when i opened it up it was clean as a whistle. Im not sure what else to check but i need out of limp mode and need to figure out why it is shifting so hard, is it tranny fluid?any and all help would be appreciated
Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gkw1993
I have a 1999 A6 that is automatic/triptronic* and has 151,000 miles on it. I just purchased it about a month ago. I noticed that it was shifting kind of rough and I read somewhere that it might be a MAF, so I bought some maf cleaner and cleaned it. Shortly after I put it back together, the car goes into limp mode. My check engine light is not on, but all my gears on the display screen are lite up bright red. when i shift from park into any gear it jerks real hard and makes a thump sound, it also does this going into park. When i first drive it it goes into high rpms before finally shifting into 2nd gear. it seems to do ok after i start cycleing through the gears but somedays it is better then other days, also my triptronic shifting is completely not working. I checked the tcu and it barely had any moisture on the outside and when i opened it up it was clean as a whistle. Im not sure what else to check but i need out of limp mode and need to figure out why it is shifting so hard, is it tranny fluid?any and all help would be appreciated
also, i checked all my fuses and i cant find anyone with a vag to help me run some codes