3.0 Head Failure...NEED ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.0 Head Failure...NEED ADVICE

I have been working on Audis and VWs most of my life, done many an engine rebuild, am very comfortable working on these cars....but I have a STUMPER for all of you.....here's the story (sorry if it's long).

Bought a 2002 A4 Avant 3.0L (104k miles) that had a blown timing belt. Tore the motor down, found driver's side head had a bent valve (intake). Replaced that one bent valve, rebuilt top end of motor with all new gaskets, full timing set, etc. etc. Car ran like a top when everything was put back together, no codes, smooth, powerful.
While test driving it at first, I was getting an oil light and engine code for cam timing being off (so I knew it was starving for oil). Pulled the oil pan and found all sorts of GUNK in the pan and the oil pump pickup plugged with TONS of junk. Cleaned everything out very well, reassembled and it ran great. No oil light even under heavy load.
Gave the car to my father who lives a couple hundred miles away....he drove it hard all around town and headed home later that day....made it about 175 miles when the engine "stopped". I towed it back to my home shop and tore the engine down last night....here is what I found....
-Timing belt shredded.
-Driver's side head cams appear to be seized solid.
-Long bolt that holds cam gear onto intake cam driver's side BROKEN and just hanging in the end of the gear.
-Center intake valve #4 cylinder bent and hung open.
-Pass side head cams appear to be free and will rock by hand (haven't pulled that head yet).

So, all of that being said, any ideas on what caused this? I haven't pulled the pan yet to see if maybe some more crud came loose and plugged the oil pickup again....
How would you proceed?
Change out just the head, change entire motor?? Not sure what the best course of action is.
I would appreciate any and all input from members.
Thanks,
Rob
Old 10-11-2013, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone??
Just a note...yesterday when I called a yard to order up a new head, he said that the driver's side heads were a common problem with these engines. Mine was the second one he sold in 2 days....hmmmmm, first I've heard of this one.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like lack of oil pressure to the cylinder heads, check rod bearings, see if they look worn, and suspect oil pump or something blocked. I would sort of consider a different engine if you can find one at the right price.