Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

MMI Entertainment Options Summarized

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Some formats, while listed as compatible in the MMI spec, seem to be hinky at times. I use unprotected mp4 files exclusively (no larger than 720 x 526) and have no problems playing any of them from an SD card or imported to the Jukebox.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Some formats, while listed as compatible in the MMI spec, seem to be hinky at times. I use unprotected mp4 files exclusively (no larger than 720 x 526) and have no problems playing any of them from an SD card or imported to the Jukebox.
+1 but I play everything from the SD card.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I tried various versions of mp4... It's hit or miss. Some, even though exactly same specs, don't play and some do.
It's driving me crazy.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by vizwiz
How would you go about making a play list for an SD card? Is it just another directory/folder on the SD card containing a list of symbolic links to other music files on the SD card?

I know how to do that using Terminal on the Mac, but that seems like a big pain. Is there a way to copy the playlists out of iTunes and use those?
Seems like you've already figured it out, but .m3u playlist is the format that you want, and it is just a plain text file listing the song files.

The thing is, if your application writes full paths in the playlist (I believe iTunes does), then it won't work on the SD card because the path is no longer correct. For example, a full path on a Windows computer would be like:

C:\Users\username\My Music\iTunes\Artist\Album\01 Title.mp3

But on the SD card, you should only use the relative path, because the rest does not apply:

Artist\Album\01 Title.mp3

Also, the playlist file should reside in the same folder that the "Artist" folder is in.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This post is FFFing awsome! Thanks

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...16&postcount=1
Old 04-14-2014, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Original post updated to include AMI>Lightning cables and model numbers available in Europe and now starting to appear in North America. Due to the built-in DAC chip, one cable will pass audio to the MMI and the other will pass audio/video, eliminating the need for 30 pin to Lightning adapters.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Judging from this picture, this cable will not work for iPhones or iPads that have any type of case which covers or partially covers the bottom of the device around the port.

Fortunately, I don't use a case on my iPhone.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the more i find out about the MMI, the less I like it. there's a 3000 limit to the number of songs - why?! my 10 year old ipod can handle any number up to the storage capacity. This is a POS system for a $40K+ car. And you can't do global shuffle from the SD card, ridiculous. I am very displeased.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kenmataya
the more i find out about the MMI, the less I like it. there's a 3000 limit to the number of songs - why?! my 10 year old ipod can handle any number up to the storage capacity. This is a POS system for a $40K+ car. And you can't do global shuffle from the SD card, ridiculous. I am very displeased.
Welcome to the AW Forums.
Perhaps you should reread the original post in this thread. Only the Jukebox is limited to 3000 files up to about 20GB capacity, about half of the total 40GB MMI internal hard drive. For the other sources, the limits are 5000 files per directory or folder which, unless you have all of your songs in a single folder, a USB device, i.e. iPod, iPhone, USB drive, USB hard drive and SD cards have no practical limits other than their own capacities. (Some folks have hooked up a large USB portable hard drive with access to thousands and thousands of songs). Couple two 64GB SDHC cards with the 20GB of the Jukebox and even w/o an iPod you can have access to many more songs than 3000.

It's true that SD cards will only randomize an album folder but the Jukebox and an AMI connected device can globally shuffle all songs as can any USB device connected via the AMI.

The media system is not perfect (no car's system is) but overall, Audi's MMI entertainment system is leaps and bounds ahead of almost every other brand and most here would probably agree it's a far cry from a "POS".
Old 04-22-2014, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah… last year before my A6 I had a $60,000 BMW with their next gen NBT system. I've been through 3 luxury cars averaging 1 per year (both of and not of my choice), and I would say the Audi one is amongst the better ones I've used.

If you know of a better car infotainment system, please let me know. They all have been varying degrees of mediocrity compared to a dedicated special-purpose unit (e.g. iPod, Garmin nav system, etc etc), and the Audi one is a far cry from being a POS.

Quick Reply: MMI Entertainment Options Summarized