Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

MMI Entertainment Options Summarized

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 3G Nav+ MMI Entertainment Options Summarized

I thought it might be helpful (especially to our new North American C7 forum members) to provide a comprehensive info summary on the entertainment options available in the 2012+ A6, S6, A7, S7 and other later models with 3G MMI Nav Plus all in one place. I've gleaned the info from various sources and borrowed extensively on other's findings (as well as my own experience).
If you see something that's incorrect or missing, please let me know and I'll update the post.

(Note: this summary addresses those Audis with the MMI 3G Nav Plus system. The new MIB2 system and other later year models that have foregone AMI cables in lieu of USB ports will have different specs than shown below. However, some of the info may still apply)

Audi MMI 3G NAV+ Entertainment Options (for C7 2012+; much of the info below also pertains to other late model Audis with MMI 3G Nav Plus)

Audi Music Interface (AMI) Cables

Album Art and Video Supported:
AMI Cable (part number 4F0 051 510 R with RED grommet)
Requires MMI software version 0467 or later to support video and album art

Apple Models Supported:
• iPod touch (2G to 4G)
• iPod Nano (6G)
• iPhone (1 to 4s)
• iPad (1G to 3G)
(Note: IOS devices listed below that are not included in the above list, will not work at all with the RED Grommet cable)

No Video or Album Art Supported:
AMI Cable (Model 4F0 051 510 K with BLUE grommet)

No Video is supported with either cable for iPhone/iPad/iPad Mini/iPod Touch models with the Lightning connector, i.e. iPhone 5, iPad Mini, iPad 4G or later. (See below for new AMI>Lightning cable)

Apple Models Supported:
• iPod (3G w/USB support or later; earlier models utilized Firewire vs. USB and will not work)
• iPod Nano (1G to 6G)
• iPod Video (5G)
• iPod Touch (iPod Touch 5G or later will not pass any video with either cable)
• iPod Classic
• iPhone (iPhone 5 or later will not pass any video with either cable)
• iPad (iPad 4 or later will not pass video with either cable)
• iPad Mini (will not pass any video with either cable)

Blue or Red Grommet Cable Requiring Lightning adapter (album art only with red cable; no video supported with either cable)

Apple models supported:
•iPhone 5 or later
•iPod Touch (5G)
•iPad (4G, iPad Air or later)
•iPad Mini

Update:
* New AMI>Lightning Cables
Available in 2014; contains DAC
4F0 051 510 AC - Audio only
4F0 051 510 AD - Audio and video

Update: Audi has replaced the above cables with this one:
4F0 051 510-AL

Apple models supported:
•iPhone 5, 5c, 5s or later
•iPad 5 or iPad Mini w/Lightning connector

Notes:
- As of this writing, Audis with Nav+ are being delivered equipped with the Blue Grommet AMI cable
- Bluetooth Audio should be turned off if using AMI cable on the same device to avoid issues (Bluetooth Telephone is no problem)
- If using a Red Grommet cable with a supported video device, videos will not play when the car is moving. However, VIM (Video In Motion) can be activated with a Vag-Com cable and VCDS software (how to do this is beyond the scope of this summary)
- After installing the Red Grommet cable for the first time, to see video and cover art, it will usually require a hard reboot of the phone and a soft restart of the MMI (press Menu+MMI ****+Upper right function button at the same time). Do this with the car on and the iDevice connected to the AMI cable
- Audis with 2G Nav used a black grommet AMI cable which will not work properly with 3G Nav+ Audis (C7 MY2012+)
- New AMI>Lightning cables may not work with iPhone is a case due to the large connector
- NOTE: Facelift 2016 C7s no longer use dedicated AMI cables. They are equipped with USB ports in the center console.

Other AMI Cables

- USB (supports portable hard drives, thumb drives, etc.); see below for file support; similar display and control to SD cards as described below
- Mini Audio Jack (any device with a mini headphone out; no MMI control or display - control by device only); analog
- RCA audio - same as Mini cable above; analog
- RCA audio/video - same as above w/video connector - 3 composite connectors, 2 audio, 1 video; useful for devices with RCA A/V out. Can also work with devices like Roku that have HDMI with adding an HDMI>RCA composite converter; analog

Bluetooth Audio

- Any source device that supports Bluetooth audio
Pandora, Spotify, etc. - note with Apple IOS 6.x, track info is no longer supported; controlling tracks on MMI screen still works (IOS 6 switched to supporting only Bluetooth profile v1.4 and Audi uses v1.3). Reports are IOS 7 release version is the same.
- Update 09-15-13: MMI software version 0609 or higher appears to have corrected this issue and will show the song info. 0715, which is available to owners of earlier versions, will also correct the issue. If you're not getting it to work with the later MMI versions, go to tel settings>bluetooth>devices, select your phone and disconnect than reconnect the device.

SD Cards and Jukebox -
(album art and video supported); digital

There are two independently selected SD card slots.
According to the manual for the MMI Nav+ system found in MY2013 there is no 4000 file limit on memory cards or USB devices as found the 2010-2012 models. 32GB SDHC cards are supported; SDXC cards can be used but must be formatted to FAT32.

There are 2 restrictions listed in the manual.
1) Max of 5000 files per folder (no mention of max number of folders per card); (Jukebox - 3000 files)
2) Max of 1000 files per playlist
Jukebox - 40GB hard drive; about 20GB available for media

Note that older protected AAC files purchased prior to April 2009 on iTunes and copied to the card will not play from the card. (iTunes Match can replace these files with non-protected 256kbs versions or you can convert to unprotected MP3 files using a utility).

If copying iTunes files to the card, go to the iTunes Music folder and copy over the artist folders from there (Folder structure on the card should be Artist/Album/Song). Do not drag songs directly from the iTunes app itself - this won't work well.

Per the manual, MMI supports album art up to 800x800px embedded in the file of type JPEG, GIF, & PNG.

The updated 2013 Nav+ system can play media files (MP3, AAC, WMA (V7-9), MPEG-1 and 2, DiVX, Xvid, H.264/MP4, AVI and WMV9) up to 720x576px, up to 25FPS, with bit rates up to 2000kbit/sec.

Importing to Jukebox

Importing is possible from an SD Card. Select "Import" from the MMI (In the Media module) and you can then select "All" or Individual" for all songs on the card or select individual albums and songs. Once the process begins, you can select Import in Background. All other music media functions will be available while the MMI copies the files (except the Jukebox Album Browser). There is a small disk symbol and gauge visible in the lower left of the MMI screen while importing is active. If the car is turned off, importing is suspended and resumes when the car is next turned on.

Added benefit of Jukebox vs. SDHC cards: Global random/shuffle setting for all loaded songs, "album cover flow-like" Album Browser and Voice Command song selection.

Note the available capacity and file limit of the Jukebox as stated above.

DVD/CD Player

Max of 5000 files, 1000 files per playlist
Same supported files as SD cards and Jukebox

File Formats - Supported

Audio:
mp3 - MPEG 1/2 Layer 3
wma - asf - Windows Media Audio 8 and 9
m4a, m4b, aac - MPEG 2-4
Spec - up to max 320 kbit/s and 48khz sampling
NOTE: Facelift MY2016 C7s now support the FLAC uncompressed file format

Video:
mpg, mpeg - MPEG 1/2
avi - ISO-MPEG 4, DivX 3,4,5, Xvid
mp4, m4v, mov - ISO MPEG 4 H.264 (MPEG4 AVC)
wmv, asf - Windows Media Video 9
Spec - up to max 2000 kbit/s, 720x576 pixels at max 25fps

Playlists:
M3U, PLS, WPL

File System:
SD/SDHC/MMC cards
USB Storage Device: FAT or FAT32, max 4 partitions

Number of files:
DVD - max 5000 per directory, 1000 per playlist
Jukebox - max 3000
USB storage device and SD memory cards - max 5000 per directory, 1000 playlist

Metadata:
Album, track, artist, year, genre and commentary for MP3-/WMA-/M4A files
Embedded cover art up to 800 x 800 pixels (GIF, JPEG, PNG)

Supported Media:
Memory Cards - up to 32GB (reports indicate 64GB will work)
DVD Drive - Audio CD up to 80 minuyes, CD ROM up to 700MB, DVD+/- R/RW, Dtandard DVD Video and DVD Video Compatible DVD Audio
AMI - Apple portable players w/30 pin connector (or Lightning cable adapter), USB Storage devices; (note that a new Lightning AMI cable allowing video should be available in 2014)

Notes:
Jukebox does not support playlists
No Lossless audio support (any audio file on an Apple device using AMI will play including Apple lossless)
Audi recommends Class 4 or higher SD cards
MMI time remaining display may not be accurate with Variable Bit Rate (VBR) files
Sources other than AMI w/Apple device may not recognize DRM protected files
Some blank media from a manf. may not be compatible
Multisession CDs/DVDs may not play; Audi recommends finalizing the media after recording

Video in Motion (VIM)

By default, videos are unable to be played on the MMI screen while the car is moving (audio only can pass through). With a VCDS (Vag-Com) cable and software, VIM can be enabled. (Be advised that in many states and provinces it is illegal to have any screen capable of displaying video other than devices who's primary function is GPS or car info display or video playing within the driver's view).

How to enable VIM with Vag-Com:
AudiEnthusiasts Master

Sirius Radio (and Traffic)

After the 3 month free trial, Sirius radio can be renewed for 6 or 12 months subscriptions.
Don't pay the full price - when calling in ask for a promo rate - it's been reported that a 6 month extended trail subscription is available for around for under $30 and standard 12 months sub for about $90.
Traffic overlay for the Nav maps is available as a separate subscription for under $4 per month; MY2013 models with 3G MMI Nav+ come with free traffic for 48 months.
Note that Google does NOT supply traffic overlays, only Sirius Traffic is available.

HD Radio

Nav+ models include free HD Radio.
When you select an HD station, after a moment, the alternate stations will appear in the MMI radio station list. There will be an "HD" logo next to the station in the list.
Unlike analog radio stations, ground-based digital radio either works or it doesn't; if the HD Radio the station is receiving strong enough, it will be cleanly heard or if not, it will cut out and the station will disappear from the list.

AM/FM Radio

Nothing high tech here but worth noting a couple of things:

The car will rescan for local stations after some period of time.
You can force a rescan by going into the settings.
There are six presets available on the number console pad (AM/FM, Sirius and HD Radio stations can be mixed). Many more can be pre-programmed in the MMI Memory list.
A touchpad preset can be reordered by sliding the number with your finger to a new position

Music Sources

Just like a home audio system, choosing the best source will make a big difference in the resulting performance, i.e. frequency response, dynamic range, clarity, etc.

My subjective music source performance list from best to worst:

1. SDHC Card/Jukebox/USB Drive/CD (the CD might be better but I can't detect a difference)
2. Bluetooth Audi Streaming (Pandora, MOG, etc.; depending on the song) or iPod/iPhone/iPad via AMI cable
3. HD Radio
4. Sirius Radio
5. FM Radio
6. AM Radio
7. Driver or passenger using a Kazoo

Audi Connect Services

Includes Google Earth map overlay, Google online POI search, News, Gas prices, Weather, events, parking, etc. Also supports "Send Destinations" from online Google Map "Send to car" feature.

Currently, after the 6 month free trial, T-Mobile is offering an additional 30 months of unlimited data service for $450 prepaid which equates to $15 per month.

Alternative pay for use plans are available from PTel, Truphone and others although if you regularly use Google Earth or in car WiFi, these will likely be more expensive than the T-Mobile offer.

Audi 3G MMI Nav Plus Data Sources

Nav Maps - NavTeq provided - loaded internally on hard drive - static
POI database - NavTeq loaded internally on hard drive - static
Traffic - Sirus satellite - dynamic

Audi Connect Media Service Providers

Google Earth overlay - internet provided - dynamic
Google online POI database search - internet provided - dynamic
Google Send to Map POIs - internet provided - dynamic
Google Street View - internet provided - static
Other Audi Media services - i.e. Weather, News, Parking, Gas prices, Events, etc. - internet provided by various sources, i.e. Inrix and others - dynamic

Shown below:
AMI cable - Apple 30 pin blue grommet - audio
AMI cable - generic USB - audio/video
AMI cable - Apple 30 pin red grommet - audio/video
AMI cable - RCA composite audio
AMI cable - mini jack composite audio
AMI cable - Apple Lightning - audio/video
Apple Lightning adapters for blue or red grommet AMI cables- audio
Attached Images      

Last edited by snagitseven; 05-27-2016 at 07:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PofC (05-03-2022)
Old 01-18-2013, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

snagitseven: nice summary
Old 01-18-2013, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well how nice you tidy time on your hands guy.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just want to add that the iPod Nano 6G with the red grommet cable also does album art, I've never tried video with it though. Very interesting to note that my old iPod Nano 4G would -not- work with the red grommet at all (MMI said unsupported device), but it would work with blue grommet cable, albeit with no album art.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nyuni
Just want to add that the iPod Nano 6G with the red grommet cable also does album art, I've never tried video with it though. Very interesting to note that my old iPod Nano 4G would -not- work with the red grommet at all (MMI said unsupported device), but it would work with blue grommet cable, albeit with no album art.
I thought the iPod Nano 6G had a Lightning connector but it has the 30 pin so will work on the Red cable. I revised the post.
Prior Nanos and older iPods will only work with the blue cable; I believe something to do with the copy protection in the newer IOS devices that require a different security chip in the red AMI cable.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
SD Cards and Jukebox

1) Max of 5000 files per folder (no mention of max number of folders per card); (Jukebox - 3000 files)
I've loaded a 32GB SD card with about 21 GB of music, totalling almost 3,000 files. The corresponding playlist I created is working successfully.

Well, almost glitch-free - this afternoon I restarted the car and the SD card wouldn't load. I had to change sources and then go back. Hopefully not to become a common occurrence.

Two questions:
  1. The random playback feature was no longer active upon restart. Is this a one-time glitch or an annoying bug?
  2. Is it true that the Jukebox transcodes all music that's loaded? If so, why would they make a lossy file from a lossy file? Certainly not ideal.

Last edited by DeerHunter; 01-18-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Two questions:
  1. The random playback feature was no longer active upon restart. Is this a one-time glitch or an annoying bug?
The random playback setting on all sources seems to be hit or miss. It may have something to do with how long the car sits between starts, i.e. if it goes into full sleep it may lose the setting. Or it might happen sometimes if you switch between sources.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you very much for this summary; you've done a service for all newbies and "those who wait".

You are the reason this website exists - those of us who love cars and attempt to maximize our knowledge base by learning how to use everything that a manufacturer builds into their vehicles.

Since 1999, we've owned an A4, chipped A6 BiTurbo, A5 and now a A7 ( also several others like a Saab 'Vert, and a smokin' hot AWD TL w/tech pkge and 19''s), I can't tell you how much I've learned about all of these cars courtesy of folks like you.

I appreciate and look forward to your posts.
A665 (10-16-2019)
Old 01-18-2013, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I thought it might be helpful (especially to our new C7 forum members) to provide a comprehensive info summary on the entertainment options available in the 2012+ A6, S6, A7 and S7 all in one place. I've gleaned the info from various sources and borrowed extensively on other's findings (as well as my own experience).
If you see something that's incorrect or missing, please let me know and I'll update the post.

Audi MMI 3G NAV+ Entertainment Options

Audi Music Interface (AMI) Cables

Album Art and Video Supported:
AMI Cable (part number 4E0 051 510 R with RED grommet)
Requires MMI software version 0467 or later to support video and album art

Apple Models Supported:
• iPod touch (2G to 4G)
• iPod Nano (6G)
• iPhone (1 to 4s)
• iPad (1G to 3G)
(Note: IOS devices listed below that are not included in the above list, will not work at all with the RED Grommet cable)

No Video or Album Art Supported:
AMI Cable (Model 4F0 051 510 K with BLUE grommet)

Apple Models Supported:
• iPod (3G w/USB support or later)
• iPod Nano (1G to 6G)
• iPod Video (5G)
• iPod Touch
• iPod Classic
• iPhone
• iPad

Blue or Red Grommet Cable Requiring Lightning adapter (no video or album art supported with either cable)

Apple models supported
•iPhone 5
•iPod Touch (5G)
•iPad (4G)

Notes:
- As of this date, Audis with Nav+ are being delivered equipped with the Blue Grommet AMI cable
- Bluetooth Audio should be turned off if using AMI cable to avoid issues (Bluetooth Telephone is no problem)
- If using a Red Grommet cable with a supported video device, videos will not play when the car is moving. However, VIM (Video In Motion) can be activated with a Vag-Com cable and VCDS software.

Other AMI Cables:
USB (supports portable hard drives, thumb drives, etc.); see below for file support
Mini Audio Jack (no MMI control or display; device controls)

Bluetooth Audio
Any source device that supports Bluetooth audio
Pandora, Spotify, etc. - note with Apple IOS 6, track info is no longer supported; controlling tracks still works (IOS 6 switched to supporting only Bluetooth profile v1.4 and Audi uses v1.3)

SD Cards and Jukebox -
(album art and video supported)
There are two independently selected SD card slots.
According to the manual for the MMI Nav+ system found in MY2013 there is no 4000 file limit on memory cards or USB devices as found the 2010-2012 models. 32GB SDHC cards are supported; SDXC cards can be used but must be formatted to FAT32.

Jukebox - 40GB hard drive; about 20GB available for media

Note that older protected AAC files purchased prior to April 2009 on iTunes and copied to the card will not play from the card. (iTunes Match can replace these files with non-protected 256kbs versions or you can convert to unprotected MP3 files using a utility).

Per the manual, MMI supports album art up to 800x800px embedded in the file of type JPEG, GIF, & PNG.

The updated 2013 Nav+ system can play media files (MP3, AAC, WMA (V7-9), MPEG-1 and 2, DiVX, Xvid, H.264/MP4, and WMV9) up to 720x576px, up to 25FPS, with bit rates up to 2000kbit/sec.

DVD/CD Player

Max of 5000 files, 1000 files per playlist
Same supported files as SD cards and Jukebox
Red grommet and iPod touch 3rd or 4th gen doesn't work at all. I bought one just for album art and it wouldn't read it at all. I'm using ano old iPhone 4 for video and album art
PofC (05-03-2022)
Old 01-19-2013, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by joseaudi
Red grommet and iPod touch 3rd or 4th gen doesn't work at all. I bought one just for album art and it wouldn't read it at all. I'm using ano old iPhone 4 for video and album art
Jose, according to Audi, all iPod Touch models should work with the red cable - they use the same guts as iPhones which we know will work. What MMI system version did you have at the time you tried it? You would have needed 0467 or later. Also, sometimes you have to reboot the IOS device when you switch to a different cable.

Is anyone successfully using an iPod Touch with the red grommet cable?

Quick Reply: MMI Entertainment Options Summarized