A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Newbie question on A4 CVT

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question on A4 CVT

Getting ready to purchase an A4, on the fence between a quattro, manual, with sport package, versus the CVT front wheel drive.

Like the lighter weight of the CVT, but was disappointed that the CVT wouldn't let me take the engine to redline (shifts around 6k). Even after putting it in sport modes, still displayed this behavior.

Salesmen, didn't have any answers on this, thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a 1999 A4 w/ front drive it was OK. But... It's an Audi get the Quattro.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tiptronic transmission is set to change gears when it thinks it is 'optimum' for maintaining the most power. since we dont have much highend horsepower and torque has already dropped off significantly by the time we reach redline, the transmission will change gears to get back into meat of the powerband. It will redline, it just depends on the situation.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had an A4 Cabriolet 3.0 with CVT for nearly eight years. I thought it was very good, though I had to have the CVT transmission replaced within the first month I owned the car. When I drove a loaner A4 2.0 last summer with Quattro, Tiptronic, and sport suspension, it was an absolute revelation. The dynamics of the loaner were in a different universe from the Cabriolet, as good as that car had been. When I returned the loaner back to the dealer's service department, I immediately ordered a new 2011 A4 set to the loaner's specs, plus a few other options. I never would order another Audi without Quattro and sport suspension, and I would never order one with a CVT.

Last edited by Brian Cecil; 03-25-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Go for the quattro, 6MT or 8AT. You won't regret it, the CVT displays an annoying pause when you first hit the accelerator when stopped.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys. I should have mentioned I'm keeping my 330 convertible (6 speed manual) as my weekend "sporty toy," so this car would be more of a sporty/luxury cruiser for me. Also hard to justify having two stick shift cars, especially when I occasionally have to deal with traffic.

Also, no snow where I live, so I'm thinking the quattro is a little bit lost for me?

My wife drives a Passat Wagon with the DSG - nice car, but the DSG lag does drive me nuts1

I didn't notice much of a lag in the CVT when I drove it, any other CVT owners care to chime in on what its like living with the CVT?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by djh1201
Thanks guys. I should have mentioned I'm keeping my 330 convertible (6 speed manual) as my weekend "sporty toy," so this car would be more of a sporty/luxury cruiser for me. Also hard to justify having two stick shift cars, especially when I occasionally have to deal with traffic.

Also, no snow where I live, so I'm thinking the quattro is a little bit lost for me?

My wife drives a Passat Wagon with the DSG - nice car, but the DSG lag does drive me nuts1

I didn't notice much of a lag in the CVT when I drove it, any other CVT owners care to chime in on what its like living with the CVT?

With what you are describing your main use of this new A4 for, you would do yourself a disservice paying more for features you will not use.

If you think you may encounter slippery conditions on a regular basis and believe you will need to accelerate more quickly in these conditions, buy the quattro.

If you are a boy racer wanting to smoke the Honda lined up against you from stop light to stop light 1000' down the block, again buy the quattro.

If you are one of the 99% of average drivers out there that drives their vehicle mostly in line with traffic laws, seriously think about what you are spending several thousand extra for.

Granted, if you want Prestige trim you will be forced into AWD.

I certainly notice a 'lag' when initially accelerating from a stop in D mode. S mode shortens that lag noticeably.

You know how many times this 'lag' has impacted me in real life? Zero.

I have never come close to losing grip when accelerating heavily on the highway or even from a slow roll. I honestly feel i am giving up ZERO on a quattro in these conditions and would wager the car should be a hair quicker since its a little lighter. Do I 'lose' half a second from a standstill? Maybe. Does it matter? Probably on the dragstrip...

Don't fall prey to the internet boy racer bravado. If you seriously need to go fast, buy an S4 or a 335, not an A4.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Even if you don't encounter snow, I would recommend quattro over FWD; the 40:60 F/R default torque split of the quattro system gives the car a more neutral feel than FWD cars and it eliminates torque steer. My previous car was FWD and I hope I never have to tolerate FWD's inherently compromised dynamics.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by djh1201
Getting ready to purchase an A4, on the fence between a quattro, manual, with sport package, versus the CVT front wheel drive.

Like the lighter weight of the CVT, but was disappointed that the CVT wouldn't let me take the engine to redline (shifts around 6k). Even after putting it in sport modes, still displayed this behavior.

Salesmen, didn't have any answers on this, thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
I just bought a 2011 A4 with CVT transmission and hate it!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the CVT is total garbage.

read about the failure rates, and the class action lawsuit.
you want an Audi? it is Quattro or nothing.

Quick Reply: Newbie question on A4 CVT