A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 audi a8 quattro fuel pump issues....i think? please help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 audi a8 quattro fuel pump issues....i think? please help

having fuel pump issues,,,i think.
recently bought 2000 audi a8 Quattro was not running when i purchased, owner thought fuel pump was bad.
my mechanic found was only a power wire issue hooked it back up and car started and has ran fine since. i've owned it for a few months.
i started it up few days ago drove normal on the way to my destination which was apprx 5 miles away on the way home turned onto the ramp (slight incline)to get on freeway and car would not accelerate even though i had the pedal floored. it slowly 15 miles per hour made it to next exit and died when i stopped at light. pushed it to safety and while my passenger went to get gas i tried to start it a few times. car started but idled roughly sputtered and died within 30-40 seconds. now will not start at all. cranks but no start. Car has a full tank had just filled tank but thought when this happened someone may have siphoned during the night.
mechanic has checked all fuses and relays and says it must be the pump he says it sounds like pump comes on but sounds weak but also said it would be hard to hear it with full tank of gas.
fuel pumps are spendy and i don't exactly want to replace it only to find this is not the issue.
any suggestions on what this might be
thank you your feedback is much appreciated
Old 02-12-2014, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by huami1me
recently bought 2000 audi a8 Quattro was not running when i purchased, owner thought fuel pump was bad.
my mechanic found was only a power wire issue hooked it back up and car started and has ran fine since. i've owned it for a few months.
i started it up few days ago drove normal on the way to my destination which was apprx 5 miles away on the way home turned onto the ramp (slight incline)to get on freeway and car would not accelerate even though i had the pedal floored. it slowly 15 miles per hour made it to next exit and died when i stopped at light. pushed it to safety and while my passenger went to get gas i tried to start it a few times. car started but idled roughly sputtered and died within 30-40 seconds. now will not start at all. cranks but no start. Car has a full tank had just filled tank but thought when this happened someone may have siphoned during the night.
mechanic has checked all fuses and relays and says it must be the pump he says it sounds like pump comes on but sounds weak but also said it would be hard to hear it with full tank of gas.
fuel pumps are spendy and i don't exactly want to replace it only to find this is not the issue.
You should be posting this in the A8 forum.

I would also look for a good Audi mechanic in your locals Audi forum here if you don't trust what your present mechanic is telling you. BTW good mechanics can test the fuel system to see if the pump is good or not
Old 02-14-2014, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

fuel filter clogged?
Old 02-14-2014, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
You should be posting this in the A8 forum.
?????

Have I been reading the header wrong all these years?
Old 02-15-2014, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by huami1me
I hope I can help you get started narrowing down the possibilities, rather than some clueless "moderator" (no test required to gain that title apparently) telling you to look elsewhere for advice...although Quattroworld ( http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/ )forum might be a much better place...MUCH more 1st hand knowledge and experience there.

Anyway, let's start with your "mechanic" (also a relative term with no test required for the title): If he did not hook up a VagCom diagnostic to look for codes, he is NOT a mechanic.

A simple test (for a real mechanic or home DIYer) would be to hook 12V directly to the fuel pump, with a fuel line under the hood disconnected to check volume and continuous flow of fuel...an good home DIYer will have a Bentley manual with detailed instructions for this.

A bad fuel pump does not trip a VagCom code of it's own, but will often trip secondary codes caused by fuel starvation. Also, a bad engine speed sensor or "crank position sensor"(code will show if bad) will shut off the fuel pump. The fuel pump will only run with engine turning if the sensor is good...except for the 1st 2 seconds of the ignition on position and that only works on the first attempt.

The above is just a place to start. If you are not a DIYer, you can still VERY CHEAPLY get basic VagCom diagnostics to plug into your OBD2 port under the dash to read and erase diagnostic codes.

You just need a computer, free VCDS-Lite download >>> http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/download/index.html

and a cheap eBay OBD to usb cable >>>
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/download/index.html

If there are no codes for engine speed sensor or other failures that would shut off the engine, it is probably a bad fuel pump...unfortunately it's a common failure on higher mileage (100-120K miles or higher) A8's. Unlike what untalented mechanics and Audi dealers (same thing) will tell you, the entire $1000+ fuel module does NOT need to be replaced...just the pump itself. The pumps alone are available online for around $200...and don't fall for ultra cheap ones (should be VDO/Seimens brand) because they rarely work correctly. There are many DIY's online (youtube and otherwise) about replacing just the pump itself.

So, to start, get VagCom (VSDS-Lite) and post the codes here...or better yet also on QuattroWorld and we'll help you translate their significance and try to advise you further.

Cheers

Last edited by silverd2; 02-15-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi A8L 4.2

(New to the Audi world so I don’t profess any knowledge)
@huami1me
I purchased a 2001 Audi A8L (used) right off the Audi lot. Drove home and almost the identical thing happened to me. Here’s what I’ve done: I first replaced the plugs praying that would fix it. I decided to tow it back to the dealer after having two ‘shade tree’ mechanics take a look at it and make guesses on what the problem could be. I figured they are smarter so, they would know. Anyway, the first problem they said was exactly what (silverd2) stated, a bad engine speed sensor or "crank position sensor" ($350). I asked them would that ‘fix’ the problem and they said ‘we stand by their work’. Then, they came back a week later and said that I needed a (MAF) Mass Air-Flow sensor ($950). Reluctantly, I gave them the go-ahead to fix it committing to the expenses. Last week, they called me back stating that I needed…you guessed it…’A FUEL PUMP’ at the cool price of ($1900). I purchased the car 4.2 weeks ago and have never driven the car. I love Audi but another mechanic gave me some advice and told me that if you can’t afford one of these cars new, then you can’t afford it used and advised against the purchase. I love Audi! After much griping and complaining about how I was being treated, we’ve settled on a ‘discounted’ price with hopefully this being the last expense for a while. I’d told them I thought it was a fuel pump because it didn’t ‘feel’ like the car was getting any gas. They said they would ‘check everything out’ which I took to mean check those things that an Audi dealer should know to check based on certain symptoms that a car is having since they have the knowledge of these cars. They still have my car and I have yet to enjoy the experience of driving an Audi. I thought that they nickel and dimed me as they should have checked the ‘big ticket’ items one would think. Thanks to the forums I’m a part of now, I know that things like a MAF can be cleaned and that a “bad fuel pump does not trip a VagCom code of it's own, but will often trip secondary codes caused by fuel starvation” (per Silverd2). I cite this story for your knowledge based on my experience with hopes that it may help you along the way.

@silverd2
You knowledge is highly appreciated. Had I read your response, I’d have been armed with the proper knowledge and would have felt more intelligent when discussing the issues that my car is having. I certainly value the info you have posted here in this thread.

Thanks again
The following users liked this post:
mikesvwservice (02-03-2023)
Old 02-17-2014, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by smwingo

@silverd2
You knowledge is highly appreciated. Had I read your response, I’d have been armed with the proper knowledge and would have felt more intelligent when discussing the issues that my car is having. I certainly value the info you have posted here in this thread.

Thanks again
Agreed. I plan on following silverd2's intake flap fix when I get a few free hours. He and all the other knowledgeable guys on these types of forums really save you so much! Dealers certainly wouldn't, most couldn't care less about how much they bilk you for.