Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Temperature gauge going up and down...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jr'sAudiA6
I thought I would add to this thread a recent experience. While driving back from Pahrump Nevada this past Sunday my wife and I noticed that the AC was not putting out cool air. After adjusting the temp and getting no change I look at my instrument cluster and the temp gauge is about 3 bars above the normal range and a few miles later it moves into the red and I get a warning to stop the car and let the engine run to cool it down. I do find a safe place to pull off and let the engine run for a few minutes but eventually turn it off. May be 10 minutes go by the temp is back to the normal point. Continue on going up a slight grade and it overheats again. Pull of at a safe point and wait again for it to cool down. Only need to go about 15 miles to service station. Once it is cooled down we take off again but this time the drive is primarily down hill to the service station so I can get some gas. Make it with out the temp gauge moving above the normal range. Put some gas in the car and take off again, ever so slightly up hill. Make it about 1/2 mile before it overheats again so I turn around and return to the service station only this time because I did not stop as soon as before I loose some cooling fluid from the expansion tank. I wont bore you with the story of having to get it towed home which was 216 miles, the failure occurred in an area where there is no cell coverage so really happy I was able to get to the service station. Anyway took it to the dealer today and they are replacing both the water pump and thermostat.

I have 41470 miles on the car and it has been rock solid for the 2.5 years I've owned it. Hopefully this is one time event for this car.
JR I noticed you have a GIAC tune. Have you been flagged TD1? Has your dealer ever given you an issue getting warranty work such as this done?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

At 15K my temperature gauge went all the way up to the red zone, DIS indicated i should park the car due to an overheat, fans were on HIGH MODE. It got towed to the dealership, and they told me they changed the thermostat and that it is a common problem on the 3.0T.. i find it a bit weird to have a failed thermostat after a year and 15k of driving...
Old 04-16-2014, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NightCrawler
JR I noticed you have a GIAC tune. Have you been flagged TD1? Has your dealer ever given you an issue getting warranty work such as this done?
The dealer is aware of the tune. As far as I know I have not been flagged but this may change after this service. No issue getting these problems addressed under warranty. This is the first issue since the tune requiring warranty work.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kdagher
At 15K my temperature gauge went all the way up to the red zone, DIS indicated i should park the car due to an overheat, fans were on HIGH MODE. It got towed to the dealership, and they told me they changed the thermostat and that it is a common problem on the 3.0T.. i find it a bit weird to have a failed thermostat after a year and 15k of driving...
Ditto here. Same thing happened with my 3.0T (2011) at 35,000 miles with same bouncing needle, DIS warning to shut down, towing, replacement of thermostat. Tech told me this was known problem and that the engine does in fact overheat because the sensors fails and won't open the valve to allow coolant to circulate properly.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, is the common failure isolated to the thermostat on the 3.0T's or the water pump as well. Some folks seems to have had to replace both. I'm considering a preowned C7A6, and want to make sure the thermostat gets replaced while still under warranty, so wondering if water pumps are failing at the same time..
Old 04-17-2014, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dealer is aware of the tune. As far as I know I have not been flagged but this may change after this service. No issue getting these problems addressed under warranty. This is the first issue since the tune requiring warranty work.
Thanks for the response JR.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2008A6
So, is the common failure isolated to the thermostat on the 3.0T's or the water pump as well. Some folks seems to have had to replace both. I'm considering a preowned C7A6, and want to make sure the thermostat gets replaced while still under warranty, so wondering if water pumps are failing at the same time..
I'm hoping to have a conversation with the tech that worked on my car to find out why the water pump was replaced along with the thermostat. A failed thermostat made sense. The computer was indicating a fault with the coolant pump but not sure what that really means and how the fault is generated. In my experience a water pump usually starts leaking but I have never had one stop pumping.

Edit: Picked up car today and had a lengthy discussion with the shop foreman. The coolant pump was replaced more as a precaution than anything else. The real culprit was the thermostat. In addition to the overheating problem I experienced a thumbing noise coming from the rear area of the car under acceleration. This turned out to be a problem with the center bearing support structure for the 2 piece driveshaft. The entire driveshaft assembly was replaced. Everything was covered under warranty. Trying to dig further into driveshaft failure to get some kind of understanding on how this happened. Right know I'm blaming it on a manufacturing defect but who knows.

Last edited by jr'sAudiA6; 04-18-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The computer was indicating a fault with the coolant pump but not sure what that really means and how the fault is generated. In my experience a water pump usually starts leaking but I have never had one stop pumping.
The A6 water pump is a bit more complex than the "pulley spinning the impeller" type of olden days. I suspect that they are regulating the speed for a constant flow through the RPM range. It might slow down the flow when the thermostat is closed.

Name:  waterpump_zps98dfb08d.jpg
Views: 6959
Size:  58.8 KB
Old 04-18-2014, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
The A6 water pump is a bit more complex than the "pulley spinning the impeller" type of olden days. I suspect that they are regulating the speed for a constant flow through the RPM range. It might slow down the flow when the thermostat is closed.

You may read my previous post which I have edited with more info but essentially the water pump was replaced as a precaution since parts of it are made of plastic.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

tenspeed, Do you have pictures of the thermostat?

Quick Reply: Temperature gauge going up and down...