Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

ZF 8 spd vs DSG S-Tronic

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ZF 8 spd vs DSG S-Tronic

This came up in a different thread and since I don't want to hijack that conversation I thought I'd ask ya'll:

Which is better and what are the pros and cons of the ZF 8 spd vs the DSG?

Dealer let me take an S7 on nice long test drive and I didn't notice any really eye popping differences in the feel of the DSG. I did notice that it was quick with the rev matching and all, but I thought that the biggest difference was the obvious hp and torque differences which are due to the 4.0T. The tranny not so much.

For some context, I'm considering whether I want an A6 prestige or S6 for my next lease.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent Drone
This came up in a different thread and since I don't want to hijack that conversation I thought I'd ask ya'll:

Which is better and what are the pros and cons of the ZF 8 spd vs the DSG?

Dealer let me take an S7 on nice long test drive and I didn't notice any really eye popping differences in the feel of the DSG. I did notice that it was quick with the rev matching and all, but I thought that the biggest difference was the obvious hp and torque differences which are due to the 4.0T. The tranny not so much.

For some context, I'm considering whether I want an A6 prestige or S6 for my next lease.
Exactly, what more did you expect from a transmission?
Old 04-12-2014, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Exactly, what more did you expect from a transmission?
I guess I was expecting some kind of a revelation of overwhelming total awesomeness. LOL.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can never directly compare a Dual Clutch vs a traditional automatic. Some would argue a DSG is just a computer shifted manual tranny. Some say it's an automatic. However, it does not have a torque converter. I used to own a Jetta TDI with the DSG and while the shifts were indeed quick, it did have some rockiness to it if you didn't know how to drive it. Now, they put that in there for what I like to think fuel economy, but Audi put the 7 speed in for performance. The DSG fluid in the Jetta was quite pricey and having the dealer change it was always $350+ alone.

Personally, I don't see what can go wrong with either. If you like the sportiness of the DSG, go for it! COupled with the S6 perks you'll have one mean machine. The ZF is very quick too, but that is just an A6

That being said, the S6 and A6 are two different animals too. One is a bobcat, the other is a mountain lion. Yeah, both are cats.

I hang around this site and get to hear from German drivers and their issues/praises and searched for this. Here you go: http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/gibt-...-t3117625.html
Old 04-14-2014, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not wure if all dsg trqns are the same but the tans fluid needs to be changed more often. I did it for a jetta and specialty tools and vagcom required. Just something to consider if cost is a factor at all.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just like how you can't lump all automatics together vs all DSGs, I think if the comparison is the Audi implementation of the ZF 8HP vs the Audi S line's 7spd DSG, then the main difference is that the DSG executes faster shifts with rev matching, while the ZF 8HP gets you much smoother low speed operation (e.g. at parking lot speeds), and is better suited for the less torquey 3.0T by allowing the torque converter at low speeds to instantly get engine speed up.

While you're at speed, honestly, both transmissions are fairly interchangeable. The main difference is that at low speeds, DSGs drive like manuals, which tend to be a negative and not a positive (more stumbling, more shuffling / weird noises / clunking sensations, rolling back on small bumps). Also, because there's no torque converter, the only way to get revs up and get closer to the power band is to speed up. So from 0 to maybe 5 to 10mph, the engine will feel weaker because you actually have to drag yourself through from 600RPM to 1200RPM where you start making decent power, while a torque converter will just directly get you there.

I'm a big fan of the ZF 8HP for day to day (noncompetitive) driving -- it's an awesome combination of smoothness and efficiency. IMO if you're choosing between the S6 and A6, you should focus more on the power plant difference than the transmission difference -- the A6 will never have that throaty S6 roar, and the 4.0T is one of the most marvelous engines on the market. Then again, the 3.0T is pretty awesome and more than adequately powered for day to day driving.

P.S. It's also important to note that not all 8HP's are created equal. BMW offers a Sport 8HP variant, which offers rev matched downshifts and faster shifts through software tuning that nearly match a DSG's shift speeds.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

At low speeds, especially when slowing down (coasting) for a stop sign or traffic light, and stop and go driving, the automatic is better. The DSG is slightly better in all other situations.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the informative posts. I'm waiting for the 2015 order guide to come out to see what's changing, if anything, and then I'll pull the trigger. Great forum! Thanks everyone!
Old 01-31-2021, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Not really....

Originally Posted by DasA6
You can never directly compare a Dual Clutch vs a traditional automatic. Some would argue a DSG is just a computer shifted manual tranny. Some say it's an automatic. However, it does not have a torque converter. I used to own a Jetta TDI with the DSG and while the shifts were indeed quick, it did have some rockiness to it if you didn't know how to drive it. Now, they put that in there for what I like to think fuel economy, but Audi put the 7 speed in for performance. The DSG fluid in the Jetta was quite pricey and having the dealer change it was always $350+ alone.

Personally, I don't see what can go wrong with either. If you like the sportiness of the DSG, go for it! COupled with the S6 perks you'll have one mean machine. The ZF is very quick too, but that is just an A6

That being said, the S6 and A6 are two different animals too. One is a bobcat, the other is a mountain lion. Yeah, both are cats.

I hang around this site and get to hear from German drivers and their issues/praises and searched for this. Here you go: http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/gibt-...-t3117625.html

I disagree that an a6 and s6 is like a bobcat and a mountain lion. I own an A6 with stage 2 pushing 550hp and smoke an s6 with stage 1... so I guess I own the mountain lion. Get the ZF8 for sure because they can handle the torque alot better then a DSG and they go out trust me and very expensive. Why do you think they did that to the RS7?? Because the rs7 is very torquey.... you will feel better owning a ZF8 because they go in hellcats and all rolls!! They are like .1 seconds slower then the DSG... but in my car ill whoop a DSG all day! Proven facts 💯