Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Ash Tray Compartment Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest my first choice would be a hidden button to release the door and a compartment for either my handgun or extra magazines. The larger compartemnt for sunglass's would be nice, i do not have overhead storage for some reason

The power cable changes stations when i use the front lighter for my cell phone charger. Keeps hitting that keypad and driving me crazy...
Old 02-18-2014, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is my ashtray mod, thus far.
Excuse the yellow tape protecting the carbon fiber panel.

Audison BitOne Digital Remote Control (DRC)
Bel STiR Plus radar detector control panel
Blinder HP-905 laser jammmer control ****

Old 02-18-2014, 08:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I like what you are doing with the ash tray. I was considering a similar set up with just the Blinder jammer and STiR detector. I am interested in hearing about the total installation. Some questions I hope you will answer or even show pictures of the other components:

Where did you put the visual warning component for the STiR system? I have seen these put in the mirror by aftermarket mirror companies, that look great. (Hoping you went that route)

Where did you get the plate for the ash tray made to fit your set up?

Would you mind sharing the cost of this project?

I look forward to seeing and hearing more about the project as your progress.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Moodys2014a6
I like what you are doing with the ash tray. I was considering a similar set up with just the Blinder jammer and STiR detector. I am interested in hearing about the total installation. Some questions I hope you will answer or even show pictures of the other components:

Where did you put the visual warning component for the STiR system? I have seen these put in the mirror by aftermarket mirror companies, that look great. (Hoping you went that route)
Yup. We sent my mirror to radar-mirror.com. You can see photos there.

Where did you get the plate for the ash tray made to fit your set up?
It was simply a piece of ABS plastic that they cut, sanded and painted. Purely custom work. Do you see the small round button next to the Blinder ****? That is actually for the power button that is on top of the Bel STiR controller. When we flushed the Bel controller into the plastic, the top power button could not be accessed, so my installer took the liberty to remove the button and locate it down below so I could still use it.

He built the ashtray mod in a couple of hours while I was tuning the car on Monday. The longest part of that task was just waiting for the glue to dry.

The shop where I'm having this work done is huge, with a lot of installers on staff. They took over an old car dealership, so they have a service area that can hold dozens of cars at once. They do a ton of exotic car installs for pro athletes, etc.

Would you mind sharing the cost of this project?
I'm embarrassed to say that I honestly have no idea yet. I did not give them a budget. I told them to do it right, as if this were a competition install. They have done my previous car which had some of this equipment, and they know me pretty well at this point. Since I am using equipment that was already purchased before this install began, I will only be paying for hourly labor and shop materials (i.e wires, sound dampening, wood for the trunk baffle, carpet)

I can report back after I see the bill.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very much like a James Bond car.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

SubterFUSE, how did the overall project work out? Any updates or even pictures to show off the new mods? I would love to see the finished result.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Moodys2014a6
SubterFUSE, how did the overall project work out? Any updates or even pictures to show off the new mods? I would love to see the finished result.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That looks great!! I especially like the mirror integration of the Stir display. Very nice!!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Badass on the mirror STiR ... how did you do that? new mirror?
Old 04-12-2014, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Superfly_A6
Badass on the mirror STiR ... how did you do that? new mirror?
Removed mirror and sent it to www.radar-mirror.com

Quick Reply: Ash Tray Compartment Mod