A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Is Sport Package on 2014 A4 pretty firm for long highway driving?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is Sport Package on 2014 A4 pretty firm for long highway driving?

I am looking to order a car soon and don't usually like lowered cars do to my driving on dirt roads and lots of snow. However, The seats alone seem worth the Sport Package. My question is how much more firm is the suspension? Is it more tiresome on long highway drives or cut up roads? Is the steering wheel smaller in size as the normal A4 without the package has boring seats and the wheel seems a bit basic? How much lower is the car? I measured around 1/2 to 3/4 inch.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sport suspension is excellent on long trips. I just got back from a 500 mile round trip to Houston and the ride was very comfortable. On slower cut up roads it is a little harsher but on any decent or smooth roads its superior with much better handling.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

If highway comfort is a concern, I wouldn't shy away from the sports package, but I wouldn't suggest the 19" wheels. Stick with the 18" wheels that come with the regular sports package.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had a 2011 A4, so I don't know if it still applies, but I'm pretty sure it does.

The Sport Suspension by itself is totally fine -- the difference is really subtle in terms of ride quality -- you just notice less body lean when aggressively cornering.

However, the 19 inch wheels do firm up the ride considerably. I had the S-line pkg with the 19 inch rims and I was told by numerous back seat passengers that the ride was pretty jolting.

I felt pretty silly, because I test drove the car with the regular and sports suspension on 18" rims and both felt perfectly fine. But upon delivery of the S-line, I definitely noticed it too harsh for Michigan, and almost too harsh even for California!

Perhaps if I got the adaptive suspension, I would've had a different story to tell. Then again, note that I have a 2014 A6 now with stock suspension, so maybe I just like cushioned rides
Old 04-04-2014, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just picked the car up and have driven for over 1K on it. The sports suspension really makes the car handle well. I at first thought it was contributing to my back pain, as well as hips. The seats take some time to adjust to your spine. I think my body has adjusted as in my last 8 hour drive felt snug. On short trips the seats are heaven or spirited driving. On long highway drives the verdict is mixed. I think it is good but need more time on the wheel. I wish I had the adaptive modes where I can change the firmness.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2012 A4 S-line with 19" wheels. I had a 2009 P+ With 18" sports package. While I agree the 19" are quite firm, if you use the pressures suggested in the manual rather than the door sticker the ride is fine. I even go a few lb. higher. The lower pressure in the rear tires for a light load makes a huge difference. My problem with the 19" wheels is they cost so much if you blow a tire.

In the winter I run a Tire Rack wheel package with Sports Edition black wheels and 17" Dunlop 3D tires. Rides and handles great and looks sharp. I don't put on the 19" wheel until all the potholes are filled. Maybe next week.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try 33 front. 29. Rear.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Agree with Barrels regarding the tire pressure. Many people, including the dealer, set the tire pressure to the full load pressure listed on the door jam, which is something like 36/36 for 19" wheels. Unnecessarily using the max. recommended pressure leads to an overly stiff ride.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

On my long term driving I am honestly more in favor of the stock Suspension. I am in Colorado where the roads have some variability on the highway. I feel more tired, and think the stock suspension on the A4 is perfectly poised. Unless you are doing track events or primarily spirited curve , Euro style spirited driving (I have driven in 35 Countries and almost everywhere in EU) I would say it is too stiff for me. Then again, I am 53 and have some hip and back issues.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just picked up a 2014 with the sport package, drive select and 19s...ride doesn't bother me at all. I use the comfort setting most of the time but even in dynamic mode it isn't bad.

Quick Reply: Is Sport Package on 2014 A4 pretty firm for long highway driving?