A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering

First off hello to everyone.
I have a 2000 a6 S6 4.2. My first German car. A friend had it setting outside in the weather for a couple years and never drove it. I had a boat he wanted and I just loved the looks and style of the car. Basically want to restore it. Spent 3 months working and replacing and detailing it.. Love this car. Has 150k on it. However I don't know **** about German cars, but I'm learning. All I ever worked on was Hondas, since that's who my employer is. But I will take this Audi any day over any Acura or Honda.

Question. He replaced a power steering line and I'm sure he put off the shelf fluid in it. Thing is noisy as hell. And is also spitting fluid out the vent in the reservoir cap. Need some advice. Remember it's my first German car, so yes I'm a dummy. Also there is a pan under the front of the car where there is coolant leaking from. Any info on this would be appreciated. Love this car and will never get rid of it. Also need to change tranny fluid, been reading up on this. So I should be ok with that unless someone has any tips.

Appreciate everyone who has advice .
Old 04-22-2014, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapytlarz
First off hello to everyone.
I have a 2000 a6 S6 4.2. My first German car. A friend had it setting outside in the weather for a couple years and never drove it. I had a boat he wanted and I just loved the looks and style of the car. Basically want to restore it. Spent 3 months working and replacing and detailing it.. Love this car. Has 150k on it. However I don't know **** about German cars, but I'm learning. All I ever worked on was Hondas, since that's who my employer is. But I will take this Audi any day over any Acura or Honda.

Question. He replaced a power steering line and I'm sure he put off the shelf fluid in it. Thing is noisy as hell. And is also spitting fluid out the vent in the reservoir cap. Need some advice. Remember it's my first German car, so yes I'm a dummy. Also there is a pan under the front of the car where there is coolant leaking from. Any info on this would be appreciated. Love this car and will never get rid of it. Also need to change tranny fluid, been reading up on this. So I should be ok with that unless someone has any tips.

Appreciate everyone who has advice .
It's possible the p/s pump is sucking air…you might try tightening the connections to the p/s pump or replacing the metal seals at the banjo bolts to the p/s pump hose connections. That being said, I had a similar problem on my 2K4.2A6 and while that solved the spitting problem (air leaks fixed) the p/s pump started making a lot of noise a year later..coincidence probably.

As for the transmission…they're German ZF units (automatic?) and the fill is tricky. What wheeler-dealers does with a Porsche boxster is similar to the audi: level the transmission/car, drain the fluid, drop the pan and clean it and replace the filter, replace the pan with a new gasket, making sure to put the magnets in the pan back in the same place, fill the pan through the filler hole in the bottom of the pan with a j-pipe (through the big hole in the bottom of the pan..it's a standpipe affair) until the standpipe overflows, close the big hole, start and run the engine momentarily (shut it off), then top off the trans again through the standpipe hole, close it off, start the engine and run it through all the gears, prndl or prnd4321 or whatever, then, without shutting off the engine, fill the transmission to the standpipe level/overflow, close the big hole, and you're done.
The only thing wheeler-dealer missed (for an audi or zf transmission) was to do this quickly, before the transmission fluid gets too hot. You'll need a touch less thermometer, infrared or similar, or a vag-com computer app/connection to monitor transmission temperature.

If you drain the transmission while the fluid is hot and drop the pan and replace the filter, etc., when you put in the new fluid (probably around 7liters?) you'll have to work really quickly because the trans will likely still be warm. It helps to have a car hoist but it can be done with the car on four jackstands.

Good luck.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you very much for all the information. Like I said I'm new to German cars, and so far I love my Audi. Want to do it right. It has 151k on it and I want to get a lot more. And it definately is more fun than my Honda. I'll be asking a lot of questions on here, so I hope everyone has patience. I am gonna order a factory service mānual for it. With a 4.2 , I can see things are not going to be an easy fix. Lol
Old 06-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Replaced the power steering fluid with Pentosin. Not sure what was in it when I got the car. But did seem to help a great deal. Not nearly as noisy.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:33 PM
vk1
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Power steering problem

Hi all, I'm new here so I'm trusting I'm in the right spot for this post.

I have Audi 80 1995 V6. I need to drain all the oil from the power steering system including the reservoir, due to me inadvertently adding Brake Fluid to the reservoir when topping up (picked up the wrong bottle from the shed and not reading the label) not a very bright thing to do.
My question is : to drain the oil where do I drain from. Help would be appreciated, many thanks in advance, vk1