A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

I'm changing motor and tranny mounts this weekend, any DIY procedure will be helpful.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm changing motor and tranny mounts this weekend, any DIY procedure will be helpful.

I just received my tranny, and motor mounts in the mail this am, and this weekend they get replaced. I have not been able to find any articles, or threads on any step by step procedure, so I am under the assumption that the simplicity of the procedure does not warrant any DIY articles. If anyone has run into any complications with this replacement, please feel free to let me know.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by blink
I just received my tranny, and motor mounts in the mail this am, and this weekend they get replaced. I have not been able to find any articles, or threads on any step by step procedure, so I am under the assumption that the simplicity of the procedure does not warrant any DIY articles. If anyone has run into any complications with this replacement, please feel free to let me know.
On the v8 a6 it's easy...you may have to support the engine with a 2x4 to remove the lower engine mount bracket and then disconnect the upper nut on the mount. There may also be an electrical connector on the mount.

For the trans, support/lift it enough to r/r the mount. Piece of cake.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

That was it. Very easy. I was unable to remove the right side motor mount though. The other three mounts took about 20 minutes. The right side access to the top nut on the motor mount is inaccessible. There is so much structure around it, I would rather wait until I find a proper write up, so that I'm not pulling everything out unnecessarily.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That was it. Very easy. I was unable to remove the right side motor mount though. The other three mounts took about 20 minutes. The right side access to the top nut on the motor mount is inaccessible. There is so much structure around it, I would rather wait until I find a proper write up, so that I'm not pulling everything out unnecessarily.
Umm..come to think of it, you have to remove the alternator. Disconnect battery ground at battery, Remove the front bumper, move the radiator support to service position, detension the serp belt, remove the alternator. You should be able to get to the top nut on the lower motor mount...this was on my 2000 4.2A6. Plan on about six hours if you haven't done it before. While the alt is out, replace the voltage regulator with its brushes if the alt has more than 140kmiles on it...the brush service limit is 5mm IIRC.

And BTW, that's what you have do to get to the oil cooler coolant leak due to a broken coolant transfer pipe when it happens.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 04-22-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
While the alt is out, replace the voltage regulator with its brushes if the alt has more than 140kmiles on it...the brush service limit is 5mm IIRC.
Same alternator, mileage, service limit on the alternator on a 2.7T? Front of my car is apart while I sort out some busted parts, I could do this while I'm at it.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Now that's what I was looking for. Very good information, thank you. The coolant tube your speaking of, is that the metal line that crosses the entire front of the car, and ties into the oil filter housing?
Old 04-23-2014, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven
Same alternator, mileage, service limit on the alternator on a 2.7T? Front of my car is apart while I sort out some busted parts, I could do this while I'm at it.
IMHO, yes. Alternator is an alternator, Bosch was about 140k. On my Audi v8 I even looked at the brushes and they were shorter than 5mm. since you have the alt out...it's real EZ to take out the voltage regulator and look.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Now that's what I was looking for. Very good information, thank you. The coolant tube your speaking of, is that the metal line that crosses the entire front of the car, and ties into the oil filter housing?
No. It's a 3" x 3/4" approx plastic bit inside the oil cooler assembly. Takes awhile to get out, don't do it until it leaks. You can see the new billet aluminum pipe with two O-rings on the oil cooler cover..it's a Bufkin Engineering aftermarket part.
Attached Images   

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 04-24-2014 at 05:24 AM.