A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinted Windows and Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tinted Windows and Climate Control

Anyone with tinted windows (and who lives in a warmer climate) have any issues with the climate control system operation? I thought I read somewhere that the D2 has all these fancy sensors that detect the position of the sun, etc. and was curious to see if tinting the windows would mess them up. BTW I've never had a car like this before, I'm spoiled now!!

BTW, God bless you northern folk, stay warm...

Eric
Old 03-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sarasota Florida here. Only thing that happened was the rear window defrost didn't work because it was covered by the tint paper. Have the dark tint and drove the car 7 years before I ever got a ticket for too dark a tint. Guess they changed the tint law in 2005, got the car in 2004 with the limo tint already on. Just wanted to give you a heads up. Tint does keep the car a lot cooler when you are parked outside in the summertime. Solar fan will only do so much!
Old 03-06-2014, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Razman
Anyone with tinted windows (and who lives in a warmer climate) have any issues with the climate control system operation? I thought I read somewhere that the D2 has all these fancy sensors that detect the position of the sun, etc. and was curious to see if tinting the windows would mess them up. BTW I've never had a car like this before, I'm spoiled now!!

BTW, God bless you northern folk, stay warm...

Eric
The sensor is on top of the dash, protruding at the center of the middle defrost vent....it reads sunlight through the windshield (intensity and general direction) and makes adjustments to venting up/down and right/left.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
The sensor is on top of the dash, protruding at the center of the middle defrost vent....it reads sunlight through the windshield (intensity and general direction) and makes adjustments to venting up/down and right/left.
Thanks Silver. I noticed it doing something when I took a turn in the sun and when the AC was all on auto.

No solar sunroof - but tint is now on the list of things to do. Thinkin about doing it dark as it's not your typical box chevy that would attract attention (no I'm not putting 26"'ers on it either!)

Raz
Old 03-07-2014, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine has pretty dark (though legal) tint in Melbourne Australia.
Just coming out of summer now.
Climate seems to work just fine with the tint in place.
My rear demister works perfectly too...

Tint definitely aids in keeping car cooler on hot days (however, if its 40 degrees outside, what can you do!).
It also aids in keeping headrests and other areas from getting sunbleached.
And I also find that in combination with a reflective windscreen parking cover, nothing inside is hot to touch after sitting in the sun for hours on the afore mentioned 40 degree day - can't say the same for my A4 which I've never had tinted!