Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Major complaint

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 12:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wish Audi had what Subaru has. They have an area on the lower windsheild the look like defroster lines that the wipers rest on. Very cool!!!!
Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Diesels will run cooler in extreme cold..
Old 01-22-2014, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stash64
I've not had any issues with my 2014 2.0T in Wisconsin, but I have found it odd that I have yet to notice any air coming from the two center vents in the dash this winter. I use "Auto" mode all the time with a 72F temperature setting. The two side dash vents put out plenty of air and so do the windshield vents. I've assumed that there is some logic built in that re-directs air away from the center dash vents and to the windshield vents when the temps are cold.
The central vents in my relatively new Q5 TDI refuse to blow warm air as well. I'm glad to see it's normal and not a heating system on the fritz. But either way I've still been underwhelmed by the speed with which the Q5 heats up in the winter.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bpp
2 major snow events I been through, windshield won't stay clear and ice forms, impeding the wipers swiping. Can't get the defrost hot enough. Is this a symptom of the diesel?
Ah no it's not. -17 below here in Chicagoland the past month and no problems with my TDI.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
Diesels will run cooler in extreme cold..
I thought the TDI's had a supplemental electric heater to prevent this.

Last edited by JBDinTX; 01-22-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

On their website they claim only "heated windshield washer nozzles." And, as in most cars, defrost air can be aimed at the windshield.

As has been noted elsewhere in the forum, there may be an electric heater in the HVAC system that is designed to provide heat for passengers before the engine warms up (diesels being slower to warm). If that is so, the TDI should have warm defroster air available pretty quickly but for a car that claims to have it all for winter, Audi USA falls more than a little short.

Why not heated steering wheels in all, or at least the upper tier models like Q5 and A6? Where's the headlamp washers that Canada gets? Why don't they have the windshield heater wires that Subarus have? I am sure that we can think of other winter friendly features/options that would make Audi a better winter car in the USA. It's almost as if the company doesn't believe US winters are worth worrying about.

If I didn't garage my car I might not have bought an A6 TDI in spite of how much I like everything else about it.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

The heated windshield wiper zone is something I'd "designed" long ago, and suddenly saw it on a Chrysler van I think, and now Subaru.. It's brilliant, and I'm amazed more mfgs don't offer it on the "cold weather package"...

As for TDIs running cold, pay attention to all of the trucks you see on the road. Many, if not all, will have a snap on cover for the front grille, to reduce the airflow over the radiators.. Diesels just run cold in the winter. I had a Q7 TDI press loaner last fall, and even in late VT fall freezing temps, it seemed to struggle to warm up.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default After 3 Audi's.....

and leaving in northeastern PA. All 3(2-A4s, 1-Q5) have had the worst front window defrosting/deicing of all the cars i ever owned. I also own a Subaru Outback and that heating system/AC has it all over the Audi's.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default winter wipers

make sure you have winter wipers like the Trico ice. The OEM wipers are terrible in freezing weather. I also find this vehicle (2014 SQ5) warms up ore slowly than other vehicles I've had, but so far with temps down to 0F the defrost has worked OK. Heated wheel would be nice for these old arthritic hands.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sevarino
make sure you have winter wipers like the Trico ice. The OEM wipers are terrible in freezing weather. I also find this vehicle (2014 SQ5) warms up ore slowly than other vehicles I've had, but so far with temps down to 0F the defrost has worked OK. Heated wheel would be nice for these old arthritic hands.
I too have been disappointed with the Q5 wiper action, especially considering my A3 had far and away the best wiper performance of any car I have owned. The A3 wipers were incredibly quick, quiet, and effective. Not so much with the Q.

Quick Reply: Major complaint