Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Drove in snow last night and really miss the headlight washers

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I had headlight washers on my 01 A6 and my 02 allroad. Both of them broke after three or four years. Never bothered to fix them, and I never missed them or the mess that they made on the hood. And yes, plenty of snow in CO and New England where they live(ed).
Guess I was lucky with my 97 a4... With 15 years and almost 140k under the belt the headlight washers still work. I liked them, but they did have the consequence of emptying the reservoir quickly. I can't say that I miss them much on the a6, but if I had my choice I would still want them.... But I'm not losing any sleep over it.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default A6 headlight washers

You are right about that!

It has become a ritual to clean off all the camera and radar sensors before getting into the car. Often If I stop somewhere, I clean them again. Audi needs to install some self-cleaners.

I need headlight washers too. I have to clean them off quite often. Anybody know where I can get some aftermarket washers? Can't believe that they are no longer standard. (sorry don't mean to hijack the thread)

Bruce

2014 A6 Prestige TDI
-Innovation
-Driver Assistance
-Ice Silver Metallic
-Velvet Biege
Old 12-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Banned

They are standard, just not for us. Everything is installed except the nozzles. Pump is there, most of the lines are there. The US just doesn't get them installed because the yuppies complained about the washers spraying the fenders and hood, so Audi just stopped putting them in.

I haven't been able to find them at US dealers either, so we may have to order them from Europe and have them imported.

We always get shafted. We don't get the DCT, wide angle mirrors or air ride either.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's good to know. We need to work on an after-market installation kit. I assume the wiring is in there but where does the washer switch usually sit? And does it normally take some sort of system programming to add this sort of thing? Maybe we can get the needed parts from Europe and install them. It should be only the nozzles and a switch.

I cleaned off by rear bumper underneath and below the license plate. Now I can't get the trunk to open. I should have left the dirt there.

Bruce

2014 A6 Prestige TDI
-Innovation Package
-Driver Assistance Package
-Ice Silver Metallic
-Velvet Biege
Old 12-23-2013, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_L
They are standard, just not for us. Everything is installed except the nozzles. Pump is there, most of the lines are there. The US just doesn't get them installed because the yuppies complained about the washers spraying the fenders and hood, so Audi just stopped putting them in.
I don't miss them at all; they never worked all that well, splashed the alcohol mix all over the paint and eventually stopped working in two of my Audis. And I'm not even remotely close to being a "yuppie".
Old 12-23-2013, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudioBear
Anybody know where I can get some aftermarket washers? [/I]
Hoping I am not hijacking the thread either, but I am in Canada and my 2013 A6 did come with the headlight washers. Good thing too; this time of year there is so much dirt thrown up from the road, it can be hard to tell what colour my car is! Without the washers the headlights are quite dim.

There is also a washer attached to the infrared night vision camera to keep it clear, but none on the backup camera. (Which would be nice!)

Since you are in Idaho, you might check with a Canadian dealer close to you if you can order parts to retrofit and add the washers. There is no separate button in the car to activate the washers. The headlight and infra red camera washers activate if the windshield washers are used and the headlights are on.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by younger64

There is no separate button in the car to activate the washers. The headlight and infra red camera washers activate if the windshield washers are used and the headlights are on.
If his car is like mine, the pump even runs every few times he pulls the windshield washer. No idea where the fluid is going, but you can hear the second pump going.

Wheres the nightvision washer located? Maybe thats whats running if US cars get that.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Wheres the nightvision washer located? Maybe thats whats running if US cars get that.
The night vision washer is located inside of the right most audi ring on the grille (the same one that houses the camera). It is to the left of the camera. Here is a photo of it I found on the web (The red arrow points to the washer nozzle)
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2013, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Younger64. I am about 60 miles from the border so yes I will be heading North to check out an Audi dealer in Canada--maybe Kolowna, BC or Calgary. None are that close but we have the same conditions you do most likely. Mud colored cars with dim headlights are the rule.

Where can I find a good description of how the motion sensor system works and is integrated into the Audi? I haven't found much about it but I may be searching wrong.

Bruce

2014 A6 Prestige TDI
-Innovation Package
-Driver Assistance Package
-Ice Silver Metallic
-Velvet Biege
Old 12-23-2013, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudioBear
You are right about that!

I need headlight washers too. I have to clean them off quite often. Anybody know where I can get some aftermarket washers? Can't believe that they are no longer standard. (sorry don't mean to hijack the thread)
[/I]
My dealer ordered the parts and installed the headlight washers for me. Will list the part numbers when I found the invoice.

Parts + labor ~ $500

Quick Reply: Drove in snow last night and really miss the headlight washers