A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One touch rear window roll up, 1 touch up rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One touch rear window roll up, 1 touch up rear

I'm not certain of this merits its own thread in this A8 D2 forum, but since it made me happy when it worked, I think I'll risk it, and leave it to the moderators to erase or merge as they may be inclined.

Rear window one-touch roll up...
I found this basic procedure to work in my A8 D2/4D
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Up-Rear-Window

It is basically just looking to see if you have an unused pin in the window motor connector, mine was in pin 7, which I wire-wrapped to connect it to pin 5. After resetting the windows, i.e. pushing once and holding for down, and then double tapping and holding a couple times for up, and now both fronts and rear windows work, both down and up, with one touch ease.

It's the simple things in life.

Note: I have a late 1996 manufactured, model year 1997, Euro spec, 3.7 L Quattro, with double-glazed windows - if it matters.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

hmmm - my '97 (late '97 build) already has express/one touch up and down on all 4 windows. bought mine used but nothing else on the car seems to have been modified.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nyrobbie77
hmmm - my '97 (late '97 build) already has express/one touch up and down on all 4 windows. bought mine used but nothing else on the car seems to have been modified.
Very unusual...North American models are not supposed to have one touch up on rear windows.
They didn't even come with a wire connected to that terminal on the rear door window regulators.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
Very unusual...North American models are not supposed to have one touch up on rear windows.
They didn't even come with a wire connected to that terminal on the rear door window regulators.
So does that mean this would work on my '01 A8L or not? Sounds like the kind of thing I could tackle for a quick mod over the weekend.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by A8Fixer
So does that mean this would work on my '01 A8L or not? Sounds like the kind of thing I could tackle for a quick mod over the weekend.
Yes it would. The only difference between front and rear window controls (same switch...same regulator) is no power wire to terminal #5 on the rear regulator. Connecting terminal #5 to #7 will do the same thing as the wiring set-up on the front regulators...like in the link:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...Up-Rear-Window

The biggest pain is getting the door trim off to access the regulator...no other way, since no wire goes to that terminal, so no outside way to get power there.

I haven't done it yet, but will for sure...and am confident (from Bentley wiring diagrams) that will do the trick.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

With two young daughters, I can understand why they did not include one touch rear up windows. There used to be GM cars of the era that had push to go up switches that children would occasionally climb on or otherwise play with, while poking their little heads out the windows, with fatal results.

Best part was GM used to settle these cases and have the records sealed as part of the settlement. Cheaper to pay for a couple of dead babies than to recall every car built and retro-fit "pull to go up" switches. Shameful that a judge would ever permit it. But they did.

Sorry for the off topic rant.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

mine, as far as i know, only express up and down from the driver main control. haven't tried it from the rear seats.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BrianC72gt
With two young daughters, I can understand why they did not include one touch rear up windows. There used to be GM cars of the era that had push to go up switches that children would occasionally climb on or otherwise play with, while poking their little heads out the windows, with fatal results.

Best part was GM used to settle these cases and have the records sealed as part of the settlement. Cheaper to pay for a couple of dead babies than to recall every car built and retro-fit "pull to go up" switches. Shameful that a judge would ever permit it. But they did.

Sorry for the off topic rant.

I could see the precaution, but Audi's (and most cars?) have had pinch control for years...I've tested it...the least resistance and window stops AND backs off a bit.

On my wife's Allroad, one of the windows was binding (as it turned out, due to lack of lube on guides)...the window would roll up to a point, then stop and back off an inch or so.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That is reassuring. Thanks for sharing. It just blew my mind that domestic mfrs. would buy their way out and then bury it rather than replace the switch.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default I'm back!

I'm very happily back in this forum! I have returned from living in Spain, where I sold my old A8 prior to leaving, and I am now back in my own country: California, USA.

I have also acquired a new (to me) A8. (Which is even the same color blue as the last one.)

This newer one is a 2001 4.2L 40V North America, vs the previous one being 1996 3.7L Rest Of the World.

I have just completed my first successful modification, and the rear windows on the new one now roll up with one touch, just as the fronts do. It was odd that the connector harness on the new one appeared to be rotated 180º, with the relation to the window motor, or perhaps I do not remember correctly.

In any case, on both the old and new the desired results were only attained by wire-wrapping the connector posts at positions labelled 5 and 7, which correlates to a blank socket and a thicker, red wire.
And, as before, it required running each window back through its full range of motion, and to hold and click a couple of times, until it re-learned one-touch for both rolling-down, as well as rolling down the windows.

The feature that backs them off, if they sense they are causing a 'pinch' still works, and simply requires a quick reset, by running the window all the way back down, and then back up, in order to return to normal functioning.

Now, on to figuring out how to fix the damage done (or left undone) by previous owner to radio and secondary air.

Quick Reply: One touch rear window roll up, 1 touch up rear