A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Battery drain from radio/telefone

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drain from radio/telefone

This might be a hard one to explain but I'm going to give it a shot. My battery has been dead 2 times after the car has been sitting for a couple of days. I tested the battery, alternator, and all that good stuff and it's perfect. Then I noticed the little speaker on the pillar next to the drivers seat makes a faint but constant "static" or "fuzz" noise, kind of like when you have no reception on a TV or radio. I pulled the radio/telefone fuse and it stops completely but I don't want to not have a radio. My friend put a meter on, the battery, I assume because I wasn't there. He said when the raio fuse is in it's drawing 120 miliamps when it should only be drawing 10 miliamps when the radio is off. Anyone ever hear of something like this? Or how I can fix it.

Thanks, Jason
Old 05-25-2007, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sounds like the mute pin might be engaging when the car is off...

If you are not using the phone kit, unplug the telephone connector on the back of the radio (it is the 10-pin connector...and the only one oriented vertically vs. the others that are horizontal on the back of the Symphony headunit).

That should solve it...it may not...but it certainly does not hurt to try.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

probably not. That wouldn't have anything to do with a dead battery....
Old 05-25-2007, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like there is something wrong with your Audi radio...

...I'm not sure what model/year audi you have. (guessing a pre-2002 A6)...but it could be a # of things. Have you had anything aftermarket installed in your car?

Also, that little speaker in the B-pillar is linked to the OEM Nav drive in the trunk (if you have that option)? It could be something linked to that.

Lastly, the Audi radios are designed to work when the ignition is off. You could also use a VAGCOM device to see if your Audi radio is throwing any codes.

This should give you some other avenues to explore.

Good luck!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Battery drain from radio/telefone

Sorry forgot the car model, it's a 2001 A6 4.2 w/ factory Navigation and the factory phone hook up which of course I'm not using. I'm going to try the suggestions and see what happens. Thanks a lot for the help.
Jason
Old 05-29-2007, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have experienced the same problem. If for some reason i leave the radio on and power off the car it wont turn over the next time. The solution, turn off radio, lock up car and windows and wait for 2min. After that the car starts perfectly!

Something i found weird though is that the voltmeter says its all good??
Old 01-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: probably not. That wouldn't have anything to do with a dead battery....

Did you work out the answer to this problem I am about to start looking for the answer to this same problem
Old 01-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

?
Old 12-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Battery's Almost Dead after sitting a few hours

Just got my 1999 A6 2.8 FWD back from the shop where it got a replacement valve cover gasket, and new tie rods. The shop owner says he had to jumpstart the car everytime to start it, although I gave him the car with a good battery. Now everytime I let the car sit for a few hours, the battery gets very weak.

As I put the car on the battery charger today, a few minutes after I noticed the radio went on, even though I had the keys in my pocket. I shut the radio off, and a few minutes later with abit of a charge, the car started right up.

Should I just rip out the original Panasonic garbage?