TT (Mk2) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk2 Audi TT, TT-S and TT-RS Coupe & Roadster produced from 2007-2014

Detailed MkII TT info & pics (major bandwidth warning)...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: So it's official: the new TT still has front-drive biased quattro....

becuase it's still quattro. It still offers the same benefits of improved traction that the other sytsem offers, it's just a dynamic system that only kicks in when you need it. If you don't need the quattro, get FWD. Lots of FWD Mk1'ers are more than happy with their choice.

Personally I would get quattro. But that's more becuase having had it in my 01 TT, I know the value of it being there when needed.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree about the appearance of the gear shifter; however,

the technology, and the performance, of the S-tronic may be enough to persuade me to make this choice over the manual. I'll need to have additional seat time with a DSG equipped A3 to finalize the decision.

-J
Old 06-07-2006, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Haldex vs Torsen

Haldex:

Haldex electronically senses when there is wheel slip. The computer requires a 1/7th wheel turn to sense slip and shift torque, via an oil-bathed clutch, to the corresponding axel. It's front drive by default. So when there is slip from a rear wheel, there is a momentary delay and then torque is sent to the rear axle temporarily to engage traction.

The advantage of Haldex is that it can send a full 100 percent of torque bias to any axel, but only temporarily, and after wheel slip. There is no significant weight advantage over Torsen.

While the original TT's Haldex was 100 percent front biased by default, the MK2's AWD at least throws 15 percent of the default torque to the back. This should really help reduce initial wheel slip.

Unfortunately, because Haldex is front biased, it doesn't easily lend itself to the traditionally 'fun' characteristics of rear-wheel drive cars, such as good control of the tail by modulating the throttle while power-sliding around track corners.

The article itself said that the new TT exhibits neutral to mild under steer.

Torsen:

Torsen is a fully mechanical system. If there is any slip, power is instantaneously sent to the wheels needing it the most, without delay. Torque is split evenly between the front and rear axels. This allows for clean, squeal-free cornering and acceleration. 0-60 times improve over front drive systems because of the lack of wheel spin.

The latest generation of Torsen quattro is rear-biased (60 percent), so performance handling is improved even further. It blends the safety/grip benefits of AWD with the fun factor of rear-wheel drive.

The weight of a Torsen system is comparable to a Haldex system.

So overall, the Torsen system is superior in terms of driving dynamics.

But despite the Haldex, the new TT still looks like a great sports car. Thre are so many other great technologies incorporated into the car that hopefully compensate for the Haldex limitation. I'm still seriously considering getting one. I'm just concerned that when I test drive it against its rear-drive competitors, it may still not measure up.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Front biased quattro is still far better that FrontTrak.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:44 PM

So you don't care what she looks like so long as she can cook???
Old 06-09-2006, 07:57 AM

Default The S-tronic resembles the shift mechanism of an automatic; however,

consider that the old DSG shfter is found in the Bentley Continental GT. Overall, I would not consider a deal breaker.

By the way, I am very superficial and do care very about the appearance of women I date. Cooking is a moot point since I enjoy dining out.

-J
Old 06-09-2006, 06:26 PM

Shifter in new GTI looks very good so just do not understand why TT's is so ugly.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

agreed! its the ugliest I have seen in a sports car