Auto Detailing Discussion Discussion forum for the in's and out's of properly detailing your ride

Aquapel, long term...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aquapel, long term...

So I've had Aquapel on for about 4 months now. Still going strong and holding up well.

We had a few inches of a slushy mix today with a good layer of ice. Nothing extreme, but enough.

So anyway, I get to the car from off the train and everyone begins the scraping ritual. Thing is (and maybe its my imagination), I didnt have to scrape quite like everyone else. Once the blade hit the glass the ice would "sheet" off in big pieces that slid off.

No repeating the same scraping motion over and over to get down to the glass, just a couple of quick "jabs" and they came loose in big pieces.

I watched others and they were having a noticeably harder time then I was. Aquapel is supposed to do all those rain-x type things and it does do that well, but it is also supposed to help with snow/ice not adhering to the glass surface and I really think the claim is valid.

Overall, I'm pleased with the product. It definately holds up well over time and does a good job keeping the windshield clear in the rain.

However It doesnt sheet off the back glass as I had hoped it would, and standing water on the sides and back is common unless you can manage to blow them off at high speeds.

I'd give it a thumbs-up, and I'll most likely reapply once I replace my cracked windshield this spring.

It can be found cheaply on ebay for about $6-$7 each (when buying 4 applications). 1 Application is enough for 1 windshield or 2 side windows.

I stretched 1 application for the windshield and front side glass and another application for the rear glass and 2 rear sides. It does run thin towards the end though.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

theres a good chance its your imagination..........Im glad it wasnt hard for your though.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What's the application like? Simple? Tedious? Any prep required?
Old 03-02-2006, 06:01 PM

Default no prep needed, except that you would need clean glass to begin with

then the applicator has this felt material center which fills with the product once you squeeze the applicator to break open the capsule inside.

Then you just wipe in even motions across the glass surface.. overlapping as well... as I recall no drying times is needed or a good idea.

Then you just buff it out till its gone. The instructions called for a paper towel to take it off, and I found removal to be a bit of a bear... a lot of rubbing. Next time I would go at with a MF cloth and see.

Only takes about 15 min to do the windshield. There are also temp requirements... something like it must be at least 50 deg. to apply.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Tony, thanks for the review......................

but the ice/snow came off my front and rear glass the same way as you described and my glass is untreated, nada, nothing.
Personally, I don't treat my glass with anything. I hate the wiper blade "chatter" and eventual streaking. Just clean the wiper blades off once a week, change them every 3-4 months (or as needed) and spike a gallon of basic blue w/w fluid with a pint of 91% isopropyl alcohol.
For those of you who will comment that the extra alcohol is bad for the paint, finish, etc., remember the good (yellow) w/w solvent that vw/audi discontinued? It had so much alcohol in it that it would burn if you put a match to it. VW/Audi stopped using and selling it because people complained about the smell when they used their windshield washers.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:29 AM

Default the chatter is the reason I stopped using rain-x years ago,

theres hardly anything worse than that. and 4+ months in and not a single skip thankfully.

all in all, I wouldnt say this is a "must-have" but it does provide some benefit of note in the rain (esp night), making visability markedly better.

It also has the benefit of not having to reapply it constantly.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It sounds cheap enough to be worth trying out. I'll give it a shot.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd that. i will give it a shot if it helps me to see better at night. I think I have myopia.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default " just a couple of quick "jabs" and they came loose in big pieces"..maybe that caused the scratches.

on the door?
Old 03-05-2006, 03:00 PM

Default it crossed my mind as well

I've been playing it over in my head and I dont recall the side windows having as much ice as the front and back windows.

I usually grimace when I see or hear something like that happen, but it would have been hard to hear with the wind howling and my earmuffs anyway. I also could have dragged a piece of ice across the door when cleaning

I do think both sceanrios are entirely possible.

Quick Reply: Aquapel, long term...