A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

A6 2.7T Constantly burning out EGT sensors - HELP !

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tuccatucca
Hi Guys

Where to start - I've had this car for just over 2 years, put about 45,000km on (Imported to Canada,) and I have replaced both my EGT sensors now 3 times. Sometimes its short to plus, sometimes ground, here is the latest codes:

17862 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235): Short to Ground
P1454 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17865 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 2 (G236): Open or Short to Plus
P1457 - 35-00 - -

And they usually die about a month or 2 apart from each other, strangely enough. My car is stock, except for Piggie Pipes, 710N diverters, and APR chip, which I usually run in 91 oct mode. I have replaced the MAF, and the front O2 sensors when I first got the car.

My question is basically, what the f--- ? what is going on with this? How many miles do you guys typicall get out of a set of EGT sensors? The car is running perfectly, then the EGT's die and I have random misfires, and the worst part is they only seem to live for about a year then they fail.

I have seen videos of S4's online etc, do your tech's see this as a re-occuring problem with the 2.7T? Like, is this remotely normal at all? I dont even drive the car hard, so I don't believe my exhaust temps are hot. I have Piggie Pipes, so no cats in the front, so really I should be roughly 100C less then whatever the stock EGT's are, according to what I've read online, and honestly its my daily driver and I baby it and do mostly highway cruising 2-3k RPM.

One thing I have done with the new sensors is wrap them in a heat deflecting tape, because I know the underhood temps on these cars are fairly high compared to most vehicles.. my theory is that some part of the sensor wire melts through the jacket and shorts either to ground or +. I'm not sure if any of you have dissasebled them or not, if you do I imagine you know what causes them to fail, and man I would sure like to know what that is!

I dont know if the failure point is in the electronic board, the wire, or in the sensor probe tip. Does anyone have the answer to that question?

Below is a a pic of what I've done - this tape wrap is 3 coats thick and is good to insulate from heat up to 1500F - what do you think about this idea? Should I be using a piece of heat deflecting loom instead or in addition? Since there is no moving parts in these I assume that the factor that kills them is heat, but maybe not.

The other alternative is I read about tuning companies coding them out of the software... does anyone have any experience with that?

I'm desperate on this issue - I can't keep replacing these every years at $500 a set!

Thanks
I would take out the ecu with the APR chip and run a stock ECU to see if
the EGTs fail so quickly with the stock ecu.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Did you give FCP Groton a call? Sometimes they can get stuff if not have stuff that the website doesn't show.
I didn't, I put in the new EGT and the car is running perfectly again, driven few weeks and no codes at all.

I will call them though and find out, you have a really solid point on this one.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Clearly not common or Audi would be drowning in warranty work.
Something is not right.
Totally agreed man - here is is the thing, its a common part to replace when you buy a used car with the 2.7t, like O2 sensors or a MAF etc, theres countless stories online.

But a used 2.7T probably has about 100,000 miles on it, so thats kindof the kicker - basically these sensors do wear out, but they should last about a hundred thou before that.

I'm turning to you guys to see if anyone is seeing them fail much more prematurely. Where do you all get them from? I bought all of mine at JHMotorsports - every time I order new ones, its about a year later, and the part number has another letter of revision on it (the ones I took out of the car originally were xxx xxx xxx A and B, then I got to F and G, H etc. Now I'm at K, or M or something.

It's almost like Audi is still "revising" the part ?? maybe I'm reaching for straws on this one
Old 05-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just an update to this - I am constantly checking the car, which is running perfectly and no more codes on the EGT's, and I hope that they dont show up in the future.

2 things that are different than what I have done before, 1-heat insulated and wrapped these better than I have before, with 1500C tape and the head insulative "socks" and 2-I am no longer running the APR91 oct program, I have switched into the 93oct program. Not sure why this would make a difference, but I thought I would give it a try, I know more people are running 93 than 91, maybe there is something in the 91 map that is affecting things differently, not sure.

Anyway - So far, so good. Will keep updating the thread as things change, hopefully if anyone else has this problem and comes accross this thread it will help in some way or another.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious why were you running 91octane program when you have access to 93 fuel... or are you running 91 octane with 93 software?

Im about to change out my EGT for first time (150k miles on originals), and not looking forward to it...

Any more updates? Do you still have the A6 2.7t? EGT's still working?

Thanks for your thread!