A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Clutch master cylinder change issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch master cylinder change issue

Hi
I have a 1998 Audi A6 quattro avant and a little while ago my wife burned the clutch so i had to change it. That was no big problem but when we connected the hydraulics something snapped when i pushed down the clutch pedal and all the brakefluid poured out of the clutch slave cylinder.. We changed the slave cylinder but when we were to bleed the system nothing happens..

I asked a mechanic what could be the problem he thought it might be a problem in the master clutch cylinder so we took it out to check it without finding any problem so we wandted to try one more time bleeding the system.. Now the real problem started.. When i try to connect the metal hydraulic line to the master cylinder it won´t go all the way in so i can put back the metal clip holding it in place. We have tried everything from using a needlenoose plier to putting a piece of wood behind the brakebooster before tightening the screws trying to push the line back in place but nothing works... Any idea what my problem might be?? I hope someone here maybe have had this problem and might help me find a solution.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

About to take the clutch master out of my C5 A5 (NO fluid going in, tried suction and pressure).
Good instructions anywhere how to remove it?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default No fluid from clutch master

When installing the new clutch, before connecting the hard line to the clutch slave, I pushed the clutch pedal and fluid squirted out of the line (assumed this test as master is fine). Could bleed the slave. Finally took it out. Nothing going in or out (not even air). Installed new slave.

NOW, nothing is coming out of the hard line to the slave anymore. Suction (no), pressure (25 psi on reservoir): no. Gravity feed (line disconnected, reservoir full, over night): no.

Could it be that the some debris (dried up fluid, the master had been sitting empty for months) got dislodged and now blocked the master?

Want to take master cylinder out today, but the few DIY I find (mostly B5 A4) indicate quite a PITA and tricky, so good DIY would be appreciated.

New master is in the way.