A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

3.0 Starting Issues Possible Timing

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xdewaynex
I should have mentioned the crank lock pin is in place. I removed the cylinder 3 spark plug, inserted a long extension and watched it raise up as I rotated the crank. Watch for the timing mark on the dampener and looked for the hole in the crank for the pin and everything is lined up.

Here are 2 picks of kind of whats going on at the moment.

Here you can kind of see the window on the flex plate sitting right above the dowel for the trans...

Here it is from a side view.

Now if I were to remove the bolts and rotate the plate counter clockwise to where the bolt holes realign, the window would be below the crank sensor.

My dad was saying to him it seems it sitting right above the dowel would be fine, as when you try to crank, it would move right past the crank sensor as soon as you cranked it.
In your second pic I see a light blue dot of paint aligned with the plate window and correct me if I'm wrong but don't the sensor mount in the trans bell housing?
Old 04-18-2014, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That paint dot is nothing I done, and yes the sensor bolts to the bellhousing, and the sensor is located just under where the dowel rod on the block goes into the bellhousing as well.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That paint dot is nothing I done, and yes the sensor bolts to the bellhousing, and the sensor is located just under where the dowel rod on the block goes into the bellhousing as well.

So what you are saying is that based on the first pic that I see if you re-position the plate counter clock wise to the next bolt pattern the window is below the sensor?
Looks to me that it should be right on.

Last edited by jcman; 04-18-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Big ole correction
Old 04-18-2014, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ok after reviewing the crank lock and timing marks Yes it is in reference to #3 and for sure the crank sensor's reference is #1.

So based on this the repair manual states to mark the flywheel before its pulled off, makes sense but too late for that.

At this point what you need to do is find the dead center of #1 "compression stroke" not exhaust so the window window can line-up accordingly.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So top dead center of cylinder 1 and the window should line up with the crank sensor? Looks like I will be giving this a try tomorrow then. Its crazy I have not found any of this information online beforehand.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So top dead center of cylinder 1 and the window should line up with the crank sensor? Looks like I will be giving this a try tomorrow then. Its crazy I have not found any of this information online beforehand.
Yes.
According to the G28 crank sensor info pdf I've provided it does claim that it is what the crank sensor is looking for #1 TDC not #3, it only makes sense because your initial problem was that you did not mark the flex plate or flywheel when it was removed then re-installed.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

And just to add the dam manual does not specify timing on the flex plate to any specific detail outside of your situation, like factory marks to line-up with the crank locked.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ive been at it since 830 this morning, working on getting everything back together. Finally got the flex plate and crank sensor lined up with cylinder 1 tdc on compression, mated the trans to the motor and bolted up the starter and alternator. I then realized I forgot to install the torque convertor bolts, so 1 step forward 4 steps back, I finally got it all sorted out. Had a friend help me get everything back under the car and bolted up.

Cleared all the codes that were stored, and tried firing it up. I be dammed if my battery wasnt charged and my jump box is a piece of ****. I was getting an 18161 code for the tiptronic shifter, so I took the circuit board out, cleaned the magnets and slider, put it all back together, cleared the codes, and attempted to start it again, but of course it didnt have enough juice, but the tiptronic code is now gone.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

So how are you doing with getting it going?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Man I honestly havent touched it since my last post. Took a bit of a break from it to help a few others out with their cars. Hopefully get back to it this weekend.

Quick Reply: 3.0 Starting Issues Possible Timing