A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi addressing their "design language" across all models.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts
Default Audi addressing their "design language" across all models.

Found this on Autoblog this morning. They lifted it from an Edmunds.com report.

...while most of the vehicles wearing the Four Rings these days look slick enough, they all tend to look rather similar, and perhaps lack a certain amount of character. If the latest rumors are to be believed, Audi is working on just such a design overhaul.

The new design language being developed in the studios at Ingolstadt is said to differ from the current theme in two ways. For one, it's set to be dominated by a more horizontal approach, eschewing the tall vertical grille that dominates the noses of many of Audi's current models in favor of one that stretches more widely across the fascia.

For another, Edmunds projects that the new design language will emphasize the four-wheel-drive setup that has become Audi's hallmark. We understand that to mean more muscular wheel arches, with the rest of the design revolving around that element for an overall look that's more visually planted on the road. We'll have to wait to see how this theme develops, but the rumors at least indicate that Audi is aware of its design issues and is working to address it.

News Source: Edmunds
Old 01-22-2014, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ha! Reminds me of all the clowns who say 'A8 is just a big A4'
Personally like that they are all similar looking, but could use some additional differentiation beyond the LEDs.

Certainly sounds like it ties in with the Superbowl teaser from last night:

Old 01-22-2014, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see some pictures.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too would have to see some pictures in order to give a thumbs up to the ideas. I like the grill the way it is now. Not sure how a grill that goes from light to light would look.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember not being too fond of the big vertical grill when they expanded it down to the bottom of the bumper, but it has grown on me. Now they want to make it shorter and wider--go figure.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazydog
I too would have to see some pictures in order to give a thumbs up to the ideas. I like the grill the way it is now. Not sure how a grill that goes from light to light would look.
If you want to see what an Audi looks like with a grill that's horizontal and goes from light to light, pull up some photos of some Audi's from about 1990 (like the 100/200) and you'll see exactly how it looks...like a big step backwards.

I'm hoping Edmunds' information is on the inaccurate side. Can't believe they'd reverse course too much.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Good to read actually

Sounds like some decent ideas. Glad frankly to also see that as they basically said earlier, they realize the whole exterior DRL and other auxiliary lighting had kind of run its course, both since it has ended up on the proverbial Hyundai's and on closer examination Audi has been all over the map on it in terms of "design 'language'" from stars, to the lines, the squiggles and eyebrows to now tubular frames and deemphasis of individual light points.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-23-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Whoa, I'll dance w/ that one

As a prospective D4 buyer, I'll stand up and say it even louder. Yeah, it still honestly looks like a ginormous A4 to me from a lot of angles when seen from a distance on the road. And yes I know you from the D3 board, and of course respect your D3 to D4 cross over and positive experience too.

Having driven them for 35+ years...and as the A4 just keeps growing...I often have to get pretty close to them now or see the tail lights or some other (sometimes) delta to know its a D4 and not a C6 or 7 or a recent A4. Subtle pressures and trends underneath like the pedestrian standards driving higher hood heights, the MLB platform concepts, and fewer really long motors (think both V10s and V (not W) 12 diesels) used in bigger Audis shrinking the designed in front overhangs on the larger ones all can lead to a more common look. Throw into that a company now designing to the China market too using a world platform strategy, plus one where in both Europe and China (unlike the US), long body rides down into both A6's and even 5's complicate it yet more. Yet with a closer apparent "look" across the Audi range, there is/remains a 3x+ type price spread.

The seemingly similar look quandary is one of the big issues to me from the outside, and more generally the sense it's less special and has less uniqueness than the D3 relative to other "cheaper" Audis. Yes, the electronics are nice and now the motors are advancing and the 8 speed seems to be getting smoothed out and into its prime--I last drove a D4 4.2 a couple of years back--and seems like the MPGs may be advancing alongside. But owning a new Q5, a lot of the electronics and even some of the nice interior stuff is trickling further down, and certainly now with the C7. All this ignores that in markets like California where I am where nice Audis and "tech" type feel and appeal are highly correlated, frankly Teslas (with their kind of cheap and not quiet interiors by comparison) and somewhat slammed look are cleaning Audi's, BMW's and Mercedes big ride collective clocks, let alone mindshare and buzz.

Seeing some of the D4 refresh front end tweaks and even little changes like the rear quasi trapezoidal exhaust outlets--similar to the D3 W12 that was then widely quasi copied by many German big machines--are a plus to me. More real but sensible style differences and less DRL LED light baloney that looks hoo hum or sometimes even kind of weird a few years later, coupled to strong platforms and class leading interiors, get my interests up. The first several might get me into a D4 either new or recent CPO rather than let it slide to a D5 that might make another bolder break on the outside, move the interior and technology ahead another few notches, and presumably bury the hopefully long fired trunk designer (and his rear bulkhead electronics brain trust buddy) way deep.

The adage I grew up with with the C's were the odd numbered generations were the bigger breakthroughs and those often fired up the market more--at least early on. I sense that again w/ the C7 compared to the C6, and having owned the C5 for 13 years it didn't feel "old" against the C6 in a lot of ways either. Hopefully with the somewhat longer life cycles on the D bodies, each generation is more compelling more consistently on the whole package. Among these elements I think is better identity and uniqueness outside too. Got me into both my current D3, and my 2000 4.2 before that with the then aggressive stance and very nice interior for the era.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-22-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stealth and style

All fair points.

I must say Audi has done LED DRL right in comparison to some of the abominations on the road *cough* Porsche *cough* Range Rover *cough* etc....
It genuinely sets the D4 apart from 'traffic' and with all the amazed looks it gets is a bit of a safety feature in my mind.

The new leathers and tech package have definitely piqued my interest and should set the D apart a bit more.
The trunk doesn't bother me as I always travel light, even internationally, but understand how it could be a concern for some.

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yeah, it still honestly looks like a ginormous A4 to me from a lot of angles when seen from a distance on the road
Approaching 2 years in a D4 it is amazingly easy for me to spot the subtle differences.
Except for larger distances, but I blame my aging eyes and a growing cataract for that.
In a way it's nice that the A8 doesn't stand out like the older Merc high end models - less of a target ?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jakematic
Certainly sounds like it ties in with the Superbowl teaser from last night:
I've read that the Superbowl dog show ad will be to intro the new A3 and not some "revolutionary" new Audi design concept.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi addressing their "design language" across all models.