RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Hey all.....first post...

Old 03-01-2014, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey all.....first post...

I'm obviously new here but I've got a question or two....probably ones that have been asked ad naseum but here goes....

I'm not currently an RS4 owner but I'm looking at buying an '07 or preferably an '08 year model. My question is what should I look for in the way of maintenance or warning signs that should alert me to stay away from a particular car? I know that if the carbon cleaning on the valves it's a good thing but what else?

Also, what kinds of options are there that are rare or more desirable on the RS4? After doing a little research I believe some models had upgraded brakes that are quite a bit more expensive to replace. How about other options?

I don't want a convertible as I've already got one in my VW Eos.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

First - no matter where you buy the car from get it inspected by either a Audi dealer or a independent audi shop before you purchase it.

Carbon cleaning is not a big thing - if the car runs fine - you can go a while before it will need it. Mileage is a big thing. Over 120K miles you will need the tensioners replaced for the steel timing chain and this is expensive. First gear synchronizers can be bad.

OEM brakes are great and unless you track the car no reason to change - even then they are good for track use.

DRC will need to be looked at for leaks (a good shop will look at that.)
Old 03-02-2014, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The 8-pot Brembo brake system was the only braking system available and as Reggie said, it's excellent and good looking too. For "rare" options, check out the RS4 Registry in the link provided. At the bottom there's a tab for "Configuration and Option Summary" with total production of the various options. My favorite "option" is Sunroof Delete at a whopping 27 cars. I ordered mine that way and very nearly ordered "non-Premium" which accounts for only a single car. The car's Achilles heel is weight, so anything you can do to reduce the weight is worthwhile in my book. What a great car. I believe there will never be another car like these cars, as people nowadays are too damn lazy to shift.

http://www.stahmann-motorsports.com/...4_VIN_List.htm