A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-program key fob procedure for D2 THAT WORKS PLEASE

Old 09-22-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-program key fob procedure for D2 THAT WORKS PLEASE

Picked up a low-mileage '00 A8L this past Monday and love it, but after scouring the web (here, audiforums.com and quattroworld.com) I can't find a set of instructions that worked to re-program my single key/fob so I can use the stinkin' remote.

Obviously the two-key solution is out; The various one-key instruction sets (I think I found four?) haven't worked and there's no LED on my fob to even tell if it's alive or not. I cleared the remotes that were programmed per Ross-tech instructions using a vag-com cable I'm borrowing from a co-worker but still couldn't get it to synch up.

If anyone can offer a suggestion it would be much appreciated.

Raz
Old 09-22-2013, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I can only ask two obvious questions:

Are you sure the key fob battery is good?

Have you tried this (right out of my owner's manual, to "synchronize" the master key)? >>>

- Press the unlock or lock button on the fob just once.

- Then within a few seconds (under a minute) put the key in the driver's door and lock or unlock it once.

- Pull it out and try remote functions.

Last edited by silverd2; 09-22-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've got no problem with obvious questions.

Just put two brand new 1620's in the fob from Radio Shack (it had none when I got it). I hope those were the correct ones; my searches seemed to indicate they were.

Yep, tried that user manual solution to no avail - but I'll try it again. Also tried the one where you put the key in the car, turn it on, and then press/hold both unlock button on the door and fob at the same time, then do the same thing with the unlock buttons, still not good.

If any other ideas let me know; thanks for responding.

Raz
Old 09-23-2013, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Razman
I've got no problem with obvious questions.

Just put two brand new 1620's in the fob from Radio Shack (it had none when I got it). I hope those were the correct ones; my searches seemed to indicate they were.

Yep, tried that user manual solution to no avail - but I'll try it again. Also tried the one where you put the key in the car, turn it on, and then press/hold both unlock button on the door and fob at the same time, then do the same thing with the unlock buttons, still not good.

If any other ideas let me know; thanks for responding.

Raz
Hmmm...my key remote just has one CR2032 3 volt battery. I think 1620 are 3 volts each(?)...6 volts total with 2.

Just checked it...when I put the battery back in, had to go out and reset it by the method I mentioned:

Pushed unlock button once, let go...then put key in driver's door to unlock it...that's it...back to working normal.

Last edited by silverd2; 09-23-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
Hmmm...my key remote just has one CR2032 3 volt battery. I think 1620 are 3 volts each(?)...6 volts total with 2.

Just checked it...when I put the battery back in, had to go out and reset it by the method I mentioned:

Pushed unlock button once, let go...then put key in driver's door to unlock it...that's it...back to working normal.
Silver,

Tried it today - no luck. And the fob is made to hold two batteries; there is a picture imprinted in the plastic on the side where the batteries go. A cr2032 is too large to fit.

I can tell the fob used to work - the imprints of the lock, trunk and 'unlocked' lock are practically worn smooth.

Any other suggestions for one-key reprogramming?

Raz
Old 09-24-2013, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Apparently the key remote design changed the next year(?)

If the circuitry in the key fob itself has not failed, there's a chance the receiver in the central locking system has. I believe that can be checked through VagCom, but I'm not familiar with the procedure.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
Apparently the key remote design changed the next year(?)

If the circuitry in the key fob itself has not failed, there's a chance the receiver in the central locking system has. I believe that can be checked through VagCom, but I'm not familiar with the procedure.
Vag-com report didn't show any errors with it. Before going to the dealer I'll probably get one of the keys off EvilBay, have it cut, and then try the two-key solution. Using the vag-com gives me the ability to delete any keys that were added (which I did) but there doesn't seem to be any way to use it to detect another key. This is assuming that the fob is still functional.

One habit that's dying hard is how I open the trunk. I'll unlock it and then lift up where the plate it (my van had a handle there). I keep forgetting to push the key-hole button on the trunk lid and then lift. Lol...

Thanks for all your help so far...

Raz
Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Found a new link

Found this link, going to try this tonight: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...mming-with-VAG
Old 09-24-2013, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm thinking the fob may be dead but I have no idea how to confirm this (without coding it to another car, or attempting to do so).

In Vag-com, I can get into #35, central locking, go into Adaptation, but I can't access channel 11 or 21 - none of them give me anything, I just get the error message that the channel is not available.

When I go into the Coding section, for some modules I get documentation (it tells me what I am modifying, like the interior alarm monitor sensitivity, or the fuel consumption percentage adjustment) but nothing is displayed for the central locking.

I can go into the live monitoring mode (where you could see the bit numbers change when a remote key is pressed) and actually monitor the remote buttons but nothing happens when I press a button.

Arrgh!! Maybe I'll just buy another fob?? If any of this rings a bell please let me know.

Raz
Old 02-16-2014, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Key Fob

Did you fix your problem with the your Key Fob? I am having the same problem. Your than buying another blank fob and getting a key cut.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Re-program key fob procedure for D2 THAT WORKS PLEASE