A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Partial start question... I REALLY need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Partial start question... I REALLY need help please!

Hello all,

As you can tell it is my first post. I am a long time Audi owner, well for me at least. I got a 2001 B5 when I started driving. I just upgraded to a 2005.5 B7 3.2 quattro, and I am having a few problems so I hope someone can help.

The car only has 23k. I had everything checked out before I bought it, and it looked fine. A few things have already gone wrong though: trunk latch, passenger window, and cam sensors. But those are the least of my worries...

When I start my car when it is cold it does some crazy things. It is VERY inconsistent. In the beginning sometimes it started right up, and other times it took a little a little longer. But it always started first try. Now it does not. At least every other time I try to start it when its cold it does not start. I do not even know how to describe what happens. Its not like the car won't turn over, it just has some weird troubles. It turns on, but the car is only "partially" started. It almost sounds like half of the cylinders are running. It will run like that for a while. I usually have to turn the key off for it to stop. One time I even got out and popped the hood. It was easy to tell that something is going on. The whole engine was moving, and maybe even vibrating more than when it is actually running. I have become very paranoid about it, and make sure the key is turned all the way every time and keep it there for a few seconds. Even when being this conscious the car will still do the same thing! One time it even kept running partially after the key was turned off and removed.

It has been to the dealer. They have never heard of anything like this, and did not act this way the day it was there. Go figure. There were 7 sporadic fault codes, all involving the main computer interacting with the other modules. Each one was different too. It would interact wrong with the powertrain, steering system, airbag etc. You name it and it pretty much happened. Any ideas as to what the problem could be.

The only thing I have changed are the visors, which I bought off eBay. I was removing the stickers and accidentally got alcohol on the Homelink buttons, so I bought new ones. I just thought of the chance of this being the problem, but I think its a long shot. I will try switching back to the old visors tomorrow.

Any other ideas you may have would be appreciated, the whole situation is really freaking me out.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just had the 'partial start' a couple days ago in my wife's 2006 2.0T Avant. I had just filled up and I could swear it seemed only half the engine was running. It sounded horrible and the couple other folks filling up at the station all turned their heads. I shut down, waited a few seconds and looked under the car for any fluids, didn't see any smoke etc. So I cranked it again and all was good. Have driven it a few times since with no problems.

I'd be keen to hear if there are more owners experiencing this or if anyone is able to get a diagnosis.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looking around the forum there was a coilpack TSB for some A4s but from the VIN search at Audi USA my car isn't affected. So far just the one rough start but I think I'll take the car in to have someone take a look at the ignition coils just to be safe.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this same issue. Dealer replaced coil packs free of charge, no questions asked at 110,000 miles!