A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

What is a good lowering kit for 09 Audi A4's

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good lowering kit for 09 Audi A4's

Im looking for a lowering kit for my 09 Audi A4 Quattro P+. What is a good kind and what should I look for in a lowering kit?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Coilovers are the best solution because they come w/ mated springs and shocks and the ride height is adjustable (some even allow adjustment of rebound etc), but they are the most expensive (upwards of $1100).

Springs allow you to lower your car while using the stock shocks and while this setup may cause excessive wear on your shocks, springs can be had for under $300. The possible excessive wear of replacing just the springs may be less of an issue on a sports package equipped A4 because the existing shocks are designed for the lower sport suspension, tho many w/ a non-sport suspension A4 have had aftermarket lowering springs on for many miles w/out any issues.

KW, H&R, Bilstein, and Vogtland all make coilovers for the B8 A4. H&R have the most popular line of lowering springs for the B8s.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok here goes nothing. I've noticed that you talk alot on this form and you know what your talking about. So I ask you this, Here is my list that I'm about to do my car. Just let me know if its smart or not.

1. A.W.E. Tuning B8 Exhaust System
2. AUD-515-19-SLV 19in Wheels
3. 245/35ZR19 XL Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season Tires
4. APR Stage I ECU Upgrade 2.0T Valve-Lift
5. Audi A4 LED Tail Lights
6. Lowering Springs (to be determined)
Old 01-08-2010, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I talk a lot

That mod list looks pretty good for the most part but here are a few considerations:

Do you have a tiptronic or manual and what are you looking for in an exhaust? The AWE setup has the most aesthetic options but as w/ most (if not all) aftermarket exhaust systems currently out for the B8 A4, some droning issues have been reported on tiptronic cars which does eventually mellow out as carbon builds up in the system. It really depends on your threshold for noise both in and outside of the cabin. Without actually driving in an AWE exhaust-equipped B8 A4 to see if you like it or not, the next best thing would be to watch videos of the system posted on Youtube.

Can you post a pic of those 19"s you're interested in and what the specs are if you have them? I assume they're OEM Audi wheels and those should be fine if they are. Otherwise, I'd be interested in knowing the wheel width and offset.

I don't have any experience w/ the Goodyear tires you speak of but the size should be perfect.

The ECU upgrade will be the most well-spent of your money IMHO, and I have nothing bad to say about mine. In fact, why haven't you done this already?! APR tends to have a few sales a year, and I recommend waiting for one of these sales before getting your ECU done. $599 for a fully-loaded ECU upgrade has been the sale price if I remember correctly. Be sure to at least get the security lockout option w/ your upgrade if you don't get everything. I opted to get everything except anti-theft, fault-code erase, and the 100oct program.

Retrofitting LED tail lights is not simply a matter of replacing your current housings w/ LED housings from a MY2010. The voltages of the two lighting systems are different and some additional components are needed, which can be bought from Kufatec overseas I think. Many have considered adding LED tails to their '09s but have decided against it until an easier and less-expensive solution becomes available. I believe Audi has just released an LED tail light retrofit kit in EU so maybe there's hope for NA (not sure where you're from exactly). That being said, a company called BBC Technic apparently offers a LED tail light retrofit service for US-spec cars. They may be able to help you.

H&R lowering springs come in 3 flavors (at least for sedans) in order of least aggressive to most aggressive drop: OE Sport, Sport, and Super Sport. Eibach also makes lowering springs for B8 A4 applications but I don't know too much about them.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks alot for all of the information, If you don't mind I will talk to you more about the car. I just got the car two days ago so thats why I haven't done anything yet. Its all ways been my dream to own a audi and now I have one and I am going to make it the best I can. (well its already the best but better I should say)
Attached Images  
Old 01-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

oh yeah 19 x 8.5 I don't know the offset though.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

2009 Audi A4 Quattro Premium Plus Tiptronic
Old 01-08-2010, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kellerk23
Its all ways been my dream to own a audi and now I have one and I am going to make it the best I can. (well its already the best but better I should say)
This is exactly how I feel I've wanted an Audi since the B5 platform and finally got my B8 a little over a year ago.

Anyway w/ regards to the wheels, I don't think I've ever seen those on an A4. At 19x8.5, you should be OK as long as the centerbore is ~66mm (which is B8 fitment) and the offset is et32-et35 or higher depending on how low you want to go. Is there anyway you can find out from wherever you plan on buying these wheels what the offset and centerbore are?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://www.usarim.com/product_info.p...pbtbaa2q02sks7

This is the web site.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wanted something different, so I found these wheels which are awesome I think. I just got off the phone with the service men for the company and he told me they would fit just fine.

Quick Reply: What is a good lowering kit for 09 Audi A4's