A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Battery? Alternator? or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery? Alternator? or something else?

I have done a few hours worth of researching and have come to the conclusion that my alternator is most likely done for but I would like to get a few opinions before I take on this crazy time consuming task of swapping it out.

I have a 2001 A6 2.7 auto with 120020 miles, I have owned the car for 4 years and as far as I know the alternator has never been replaced. The battery was replaced in December of 2012 with a Duralast 94R-DLG.

The car sat the entire month of September and had to be jumped to get it to start, I didnt think anything of it since I contributed the dead battery to it sitting for so long. The car ran fine and started up great up until now. I was sitting in a drive thru and the battery light came on along with and audible alarm and the voltmeter in the car was reading 10v. I turned the lights off and let the car run for about 5 min. and all that happened was that the light and alarm sounded again but the car continued to run fine. So I turned the lights on and drove it home, about 8 miles. I had no loss of power or anything concerning besides the battery light. I let the car sit for about 15 mins before trying to start it again and the starter did nothing, the interior lights were on and everything else seemed to work fine but the engine would not crank.

Please tell me this is a simple fix such as a fuse or similar, I really dont want to tear the front off my car just to replace the alternator. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2014, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Charge the battery overnight and then Load test the battery

Originally Posted by R1S3ND3V1L
I have done a few hours worth of researching and have come to the conclusion that my alternator is most likely done for but I would like to get a few opinions before I take on this crazy time consuming task of swapping it out.

I have a 2001 A6 2.7 auto with 120020 miles, I have owned the car for 4 years and as far as I know the alternator has never been replaced. The battery was replaced in December of 2012 with a Duralast 94R-DLG.

The car sat the entire month of September and had to be jumped to get it to start, I didnt think anything of it since I contributed the dead battery to it sitting for so long. The car ran fine and started up great up until now. I was sitting in a drive thru and the battery light came on along with and audible alarm and the voltmeter in the car was reading 10v. I turned the lights off and let the car run for about 5 min. and all that happened was that the light and alarm sounded again but the car continued to run fine. So I turned the lights on and drove it home, about 8 miles. I had no loss of power or anything concerning besides the battery light. I let the car sit for about 15 mins before trying to start it again and the starter did nothing, the interior lights were on and everything else seemed to work fine but the engine would not crank.

Please tell me this is a simple fix such as a fuse or similar, I really dont want to tear the front off my car just to replace the alternator. Thanks!
Load test the battery. The car should be capable of sitting a month without killing the battery. That being said, it's more likely the alternator needs a new VR with new brushes rather than a new alternator. You can pull the alt and install a new VR for maybe $100 or so. Look around, try ecstuning. VR for a Bosch is $40, VR for a valeo is $130.

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 12-01-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Basics checked? Cables, connections, grounds??
Old 12-04-2014, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Tighten/ Clean the battery posts. put a meter on it while running thr engine. report back . Chances are the alternator is toast.

Regardless wether its alternator or regulator its still a PITA to R and R