Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

What VAGCOM Cable are you using ?

Old 02-05-2014, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What VAGCOM Cable are you using ?

Looking on advise if it is worth buying the Rosstech cable or if a cheap $10 cable off ebay will work the same.

What do you guys use ?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the real cable. From what I understand the software won't license with the ebay cables. Some functionality will be there, but not all of it. I haven't heard of anybody getting full function from the bargain cables. With that said, I can recommend the real deal. Ross-Tech has been great with updates, support, and even vehicle specific questions. I've had the official setup since 2002 and they have never let me down.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use the Rosstech cable, i paid $399 Canadian. with this i can do most of things the dealers do, the cheap one from ebay may only SRI reset & maybe some other simple things.
question is how long you plan to keep your Audi, if you want to keep it for couple years then buy Rosstech cable.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Besides a large lack of functionality, especially in recent model year cars:

Any function a knock-off cable might be capable of will become useless the first time Ross Tech does a firmware update (which they do frequently).

Knock off VCDS cables are no different than buying bootlegged software. It deprives the developer the revenue needed to continue to provide research, support and revisions to keep the software up to date for the latest electronics. In my mind it's no different than stealing.

Ross-Tech, is like the other sponsors of this website; without their financial support, AW would not be free to its members.

Finally, any discussion of "bootlegged" software, cables, etc. is not permitted in the AudiWorld forums.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Besides a large lack of functionality, especially in recent model year cars:

Any function a knock-off cable might be capable of will become useless the first time Ross Tech does a firmware update (which they do frequently).

Knock off VCDS cables are no different than buying bootlegged software. It deprives the developer the revenue needed to continue to provide research, support and revisions to keep the software up to date for the latest electronics. In my mind it's no different than stealing.

Ross-Tech, is like the other sponsors of this website; without their financial support, AW would not be free to its members.

Finally, any discussion of "bootlegged" software, cables, etc. is not permitted in the AudiWorld forums.
Respectfully, you should cut back on this type of tone as it's not particularly productive. This place isn't worth diddly squat without the likes of the OP asking questions and others responding productively, and this type of attitude turns people off and consequently doesn't help the sponsor.

Back to the cable issue, it's an interface between an OBD port and some computer port, e.g. USB. There's nothing bootlegged about that as neither OBD nor USB are RossTech intellectual property. Nobody mentioned hacking some authentication chip such that it presents itelf as genuine RossTech, rather the OP asked if the two offer the same functionality, which is a perfectly legitimate question. Whether the two cables work the same is entirely at RossTech's discretion.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

aqaqaq123, you have a PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by aqaqaq123
Respectfully, you should cut back on this type of tone as it's not particularly productive. This place isn't worth diddly squat without the likes of the OP asking questions and others responding productively, and this type of attitude turns people off and consequently doesn't help the sponsor.

Back to the cable issue, it's an interface between an OBD port and some computer port, e.g. USB. There's nothing bootlegged about that as neither OBD nor USB are RossTech intellectual property. Nobody mentioned hacking some authentication chip such that it presents itelf as genuine RossTech, rather the OP asked if the two offer the same functionality, which is a perfectly legitimate question. Whether the two cables work the same is entirely at RossTech's discretion.
I am glad I am not the only one who thought this. I was just thinking, "wow, I ask a simple question about cables, and its as if I suggested, Lets all go kill hookers!"

I am new to the forum and the whole Ross tech thing, so I asked a simple question about it. I did not imply that I am looking to screw the software developer or suggest doing anything illegal. The cables are available to buy on eBay and so it is fair to ask others on this forum about how they work.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I apologize if my post was taken the wrong way but there are often threads discussing the off-brand, knock-off VCDS cables as found for sale on eBay. These cables will claim to be compatible with the Ross-Tech software but they will not work properly (if at all) and do deprive the manufacturer of revenue allowing them to continue to develop the software. The Ross Tech model is to charge for the encrypted cable and provide their software at no charge for owners of their cables. Outside of various OBD readers on the market, which do not use the VCDS software and are comparatively limited in scope, any non-Ross Tech cable that purports to work with the VCDS/Vag-Com software is indeed a "counterfeit". That was the point of my post and was not directed specifically to the OP as a condemnation but done to provide information.

Last edited by snagitseven; 02-06-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Ross-Tech cable and a lower cost VAG Tacho which has its own software. The Ross-Tech is the reference being easier to work with. The Vag Tacho works but is a lot harder to understand. I bought it 80$ and its worth 80$, i use the Ross-Tech all the time if you want it make me an offer.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I totally agree.
I bought the genuine cable and I would again if I had to.

Using a copy cable with Ross-Tech software is like stealing.

Support the company and they support this site.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What VAGCOM Cable are you using ?