A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Proud new (2001) A6 owner

Old 12-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proud new (2001) A6 owner

Hey guys... Not my first Audi, but new to the forum. My wife and I picked up a 2001 A6 4.2 that just turned 92,ooo miles. Looking for a checklist I should be going through as I near the 100k mark. Briefly, brakes were done at 78k; spark plugs at 80k; timing belt at 85k; per the available service records. Any pre-emptive hints for us ?
Old 12-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Automatic? Change the tranny fluid.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rallymarty
Automatic? Change the tranny fluid.
Yep,, it's a Tip. I'll probably drain the diff fluids as well. Does it seem "odd" that the plugs and timing belt were changed already... I thought that those were 100,ooo items; not 80,ooo. Also, the service records are incomplete (for now; still digging); what's the chances that the Audi mechanic who did the timing belt caught the water pump as well? All of the discussions I've seen show these two items in a simultaneous service procedure.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TomThomas
Yep,, it's a Tip. I'll probably drain the diff fluids as well. Does it seem "odd" that the plugs and timing belt were changed already... I thought that those were 100,ooo items; not 80,ooo. Also, the service records are incomplete (for now; still digging); what's the chances that the Audi mechanic who did the timing belt caught the water pump as well? All of the discussions I've seen show these two items in a simultaneous service procedure.
80 K is when i would do it .. better 20K early than .1K too late in my mind. Pretty standard stuff when doing timing belt to replace water pump stat, tensioners and rollers, acc belt. .. but ya never know.

check your exhaust flex joints for leaking but at 100K yours might be fine.
I would inspect the rear brakes again .. you could easily wear them out on that car in 20K or so, and only takes a few minutes to check.

Other than that deal with it as it comes. The only think i would do pre-emptively is probably replace the coolant temp sensor . They are dirst cheap . go quite often and are relatively easy to change.
The can make for stranage running and starting issues.

You are going to have oil leaks sooner or later so just deal with those as they come up . tensioners . cam end caps, cam seals. VC gasgets.

your central display cluster will probably fade away when it gets warm but pretty common stuff, they can be repaired but getting the original red display is damn next to impossible.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
80 K is when i would do it .. better 20K early than .1K too late in my mind. Pretty standard stuff when doing timing belt to replace water pump stat, tensioners and rollers, acc belt. .. but ya never know.

check your exhaust flex joints for leaking but at 100K yours might be fine.
I would inspect the rear brakes again .. you could easily wear them out on that car in 20K or so, and only takes a few minutes to check.

Other than that deal with it as it comes. The only think i would do pre-emptively is probably replace the coolant temp sensor . They are dirst cheap . go quite often and are relatively easy to change.
The can make for stranage running and starting issues.

You are going to have oil leaks sooner or later so just deal with those as they come up . tensioners . cam end caps, cam seals. VC gasgets.

your central display cluster will probably fade away when it gets warm but pretty common stuff, they can be repaired but getting the original red display is damn next to impossible.
I'm on it. The coolant temp sensor is a great suggestion; gotta keep those COMPUTERS happy!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by TomThomas
Changing the tranny fluid involves dropping the pan and changing out the filter as well. Ensure that the filter gets changed.
Preemptively you might want to look at the coolant expansion tank…they die over 10 years or less. Also check the front motor mount.
At 92K you're also looking at new shocks in 10-15K miles….depending on your likes/wants/needs, new shocks make a world of difference.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Plugs are 40k

Timing belt (best wisdom) is 75k. Original spec 105k, later revised by TSB to 60k.
Interference engine - if it goes, you're out $6k

Grant