bouncy throttle when transmission is in limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bouncy throttle when transmission is in limp mode

I guess that it's in limp mode. After 30+ minutes of driving OK the transmission will go into 3rd gear and stay there until I cycle the ignition. Before is gets stuck in 3rd gear the throttle gets touchy. I included a video of me holding the throttle at 2000 and how it refuses to and would rather bounce between 1200-1600. I can rev past it just fine. I replaced a 213 relay on the right side of the fuse panel to no avail. I couldn't get the fuel pump 213 relay off to swap in another relay, but that seems unrelated and a waste of time.

I'm confused because of how well the engine and transmission run until it just starts getting weird on me. Usually just the 3rd gear issue happens, but now this idle thing seems to occur about the same time (maybe i just started noticing it). Any suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYpJWIg53mc&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Old 03-05-2014, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check tranny fluid level. If you don't have the dipstick and you've never seen what the fluid is like in there, you can just drain pan and refill w/4 quarts of fluid(whole system holds around 10). If you just want to check level, it's 22-1/2" from top of dipstick(fill) tube to middle of marks on dipstick. If it still does it after verifying it's full of good fluid, you can blink out the tranny codes and see if it tells you something(like Multifunction Switch).....running issue could be unrelated...good luck, Tom
Old 03-06-2014, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'll be taking it to a mom n pop shop for the transmission flush... what kind of fluid should I recommend to them?

If I provide my own will they just need 10qt or will I need to buy more to flush?
Old 03-06-2014, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you drain the pan and the fluid is black/sludgy nasty and looks like it could be 20+ yrs old(totally possible), then the filter in the tranny should probably be changed also. However, if you are just low on fluid and that's causing limp mode, then the simple drain pan/4 quarts would be a cheap way to verify fluid level/get some fresh in there, and warranting spending more to do a full flush. Slacker method of flushing is drain/4quarts/drive/repeat 3-4 times. Fluid flush won't unplug a 20yo filter. So my point is, I wouldn't waste 12-13quarts doing a flush when you still might have limp mode because of plugged filter. If you are gonna do the flush, drop the pan and change the filter/clean out 20yrs worth of goo in there. If I was paying someone to do all this, I'd verify that I've got proper fluid level before doing anything. Every parts car I bought was because of tranny neglect(filled for life)....Tom

Here's a pic of a tranny pan "filled for life"....the "eyeballs" are the magnets covered in 20 yrs of metal, imagine the filter. This one slipped in all gears, but after filter/fluid flush, only slipped in 3rd/full throttle.....gonner.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...y/DSC03432.jpg

Last edited by toml99; 03-06-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

If just flushing, use whatever is the cheapest Dex fluid you can find. I've got Mobil 1 in my Lago car, but recently did my Duramax (5 gallons!) and got some International "Fleetrite" fluid approved for my Allison Tranny, and on the back said "meets or exceeds all ZF trannys"....so will be using that whenever I decide to replace Lago's fluid. It was $35/gallon at the big rig store. Full synthetic and after switching and doing the internal filter,(GM used Dex 3 in that tranny, but Allison now want's a TES-295 rated fluid in there), it shifts smoother, and runs cooler towing, and @ $35/gallon was "affordable". Really glad I did that.....Tom
Old 03-14-2014, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default tomorrow's the day

Tomorrow I'm draining the pan and putting 4 qts back in. Where is the plug located? I saw a hex bolt on the transmission underside, but could that have been a diff drain plug instead? I don't want to drain the wrong fluid.

I have a dipstick (drivers side behind the plastic intake towards the firewall, looks custom made, doesn't seal well, and I need to measure its length to see if it's useful at all since no fluid was on it) so can I refill through there?
Old 03-14-2014, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's a small triple square(12 sided torx) as I recall, but might be 4-5 allen. Most are buggered up and whatever seems to fit might be right....Ha. I had to pound a 4-5 allen in the parts cars to drain it recently as it was almost round inside. It's in the center of the tranny pan, not the larger one on the oil pan. Good for you so you can see what kind of fluid is in there. Love to see that handmade dipstick, if that's what it is.....Good luck, Tom
Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

and yes, you refill thru dipstick tube.
Old 03-15-2014, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 4qt down

I drained approx 3 qts and refilled 4. I drove 60 miles and it still dropped into limp mode after 50 miles. Power cycled the car and it was fine the rest of the way home. I bought 4 more qts and will swap it out tomorrow.

It was black like Odin's Raven. The fluid definitely needed replacing.

I also found an exhaust leak on the header, torn cv boot, and a valve cover gasket leak. Add in the timing belt with unknown mileage that needs changed, the fuel return line, new battery, and a mid-muffler that needs installed and I have myself $2000 worth of money pit action. Can't wait!

http://cdn.hsmemes.com/2012/10/4/da6...bba7251ddc.jpg
Old 03-16-2014, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

You mentioned needs battery, and low battery voltage can cause limp mode....I got my Lago car that had sat for 2 yrs because it went into limp mode after the tranny was replaced under extended warranty and my ex's dad just didn't want to mess with it. We thru a new battery in it, and all was fine, so he handed me the keys....and that was 12 yrs ago, and no limp mode since. Might want to borrow a battery just to check that...since I'd try not to throw any money into the pit till you figure out the limp mode....Good luck, Tom

Quick Reply: bouncy throttle when transmission is in limp mode