A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Terrible Gas Mileage? New Member Help

Old 02-10-2014, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Start by checking your tire air pressure. Soft tires will drink gas.

What mode do you usually drive in?
I will check the tire pressure, that is a good idea. I'm usually driving in Auto mode, but I don't see a huge difference in any of the moods - its all the same.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by chicagoA6
What's your instant MPG? For me cruising at 60-70mph on a flat surface with cruise control (DCC) on my instant MPG is 29-33.

As previous post said check your tier pressures. With cold snaps around the country your pressure might be low. I run at 35 front and 33 rear. Always check this with cold tires.
I'm quoting off the "instant" MPG. I haven't been over 20 MPG at all since I've got it
Old 02-10-2014, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by in2dwww
I see more Teslas in Santa Monica than anything else these days. What were you driving prior to the A7? Perhaps you have some old habits to break or maybe you're not driving hard enough? I you've been doing nothing buy city since you bought it, you need to break it in properly and go for a drive on an open highway and put some miles on it.
Well said, thank you I will try this.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tjr132
I'm quoting off the "instant" MPG. I haven't been over 20 MPG at all since I've got it
Yikes, I would definitely bring it up to your dealer if you don't find the problem yourself. I'm not sure that even with low tire pressure and within the break in period, it would be that low.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Make sure you are in Auto mode on the MMI console (which I believe you said you were in), in addition if you have the sport, make sure you're not accidentally in D/S, just D. On a side note, you're in Santa Monica, quit complaining...if we were all that lucky!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MacA7
Make sure you are in Auto mode on the MMI console (which I believe you said you were in), in addition if you have the sport, make sure you're not accidentally in D/S, just D. On a side note, you're in Santa Monica, quit complaining...if we were all that lucky!
Same issue, 2013 with about 6k miles. If I do all city driving (Chicago suburbs) and no highway at all, I struggle to get to 270 - 280 without the fuel light going off. If I do highways as well I get about 325-330.
Mostly on comfort mode all the time.

Kinda annoying that I can't get to 300 some, maybe I'll blame it on the polar vortex for now
Old 02-12-2014, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would take your car to the dealer and insist that something needs tuning.

I live in Chicago with a 2012 prestige, 25K miles. In the city, I usually drive in sport mode and am fast off the start. I get 21-23 mpg in city driving. On the highway I set the ACC at 79 mph and get 29 mpg on winter tires and 32 mpg on summer tires. Last summer I drove from Chicago to KC MO (524 miles) on a single tank of gas. I love the range I can get with this car.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey guys - thanks so much for your help so far - I still haven't gotten this fuel efficiency problem resolved. I went in for a car wash and had Audi check the tire pressure. While waiting, I ran my problem by a tech and he said I should schedule a fuel-consumption test done by them the following week. After driving off with my car and realizing the problem wasn't fixed, I called to schedule an appointment and was told by a diff rep that they couldn't fix it. Instead, he told me the car takes 5,000 miles to break in, after which I would see improved fuel efficiency. I only have 500 miles on it so far, 90% city, so maybe he's right, but this still seems fishy. I would rather Audi tune it instead of me having to take a 300-mile trip just to break it in with some highway miles. Anyone out there with a similar story? Also, any tips on breaking it in futher? Maybe I just need to demand that Audi looks at it.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have about 5800 miles so far. I guess I'll wait for another 1000 to see if it gets any becomes better?
One other thing I'm trying this time is I pumped gas at a different gas station(not sure if this matters)and driving in Auto mode instead of Comfort. So far with 25 miles the range shows 340,lets see how it goes.If it hits close to 300 - 310 without the warning going off, I would be happy

I will go to the dealer when I get a chance and see if they can find something.

Guys, How much range does a full tank show? Mine is around 410-420 most of the time
Old 02-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jfourman
I would take your car to the dealer and insist that something needs tuning.

I live in Chicago with a 2012 prestige, 25K miles. In the city, I usually drive in sport mode and am fast off the start. I get 21-23 mpg in city driving. On the highway I set the ACC at 79 mph and get 29 mpg on winter tires and 32 mpg on summer tires. Last summer I drove from Chicago to KC MO (524 miles) on a single tank of gas. I love the range I can get with this car.
Do you let your car warm up at all in cold temperatures? My car usually sits outside all day at the train station and I start driving after a min or so. The engine heat guage is usually at 1 bar most of the time. Maybe this could be a reason as well?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Terrible Gas Mileage? New Member Help