Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi to team up with Google Android

Old 01-01-2014, 04:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi to team up with Google Android

http://online.wsj.com/news/article_e...MDIwOTEyNDkyWj

Say it ain't so, Audi. iOS would be a much more logical choice, as Audi and Apple are both driven by an excellent user experience.

This news doesn't mean that you can't connect an iPhone, I'm sure you'll be able to use an Android or iPhone.

But it sounds like from the article that Android will be built into the car. Hopefully Audi will make it more beautiful and easier to use than stock Android.

And hopefully there will be free updates for the life of the car (10 years), but I'm not getting my hopes up on that one.

I'd be much more excited about Audi supporting iOS in the car, which uses your phone as the brains, since the iPhones OS gets updated for free every year, and I get a new phone every 2 years. That seems like a much better solution.

Don't disappoint us, Audi.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

a42000, which version of Android have you been using? I see it as a great new that Audi will be using Android and NOT iOS.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well we've known about Google and Audi for a few years now with the google maps navigation, but I wonder how Android is going to fit in. Audi has always worked directly with nVidia, the maker of the Tegra line of mobile graphics processors that are found in all Audi navigation systems since i believe 2005.

Also, with Audi's recent announcement that upcoming models will be utilizing nVidia's Tegra 4+1 GPU followed by nVidia's first APU built without intel processors, known as Project Denver and more recently as "Tegra K1". It's a beast of a mobile chip, with over 2x the CPU computational power as any Qualcomm or Samsung ARM based chip, and even more graphics power. This mobile chip has almost 400 fully enabled "kepler cores" more commonly found in their gaming graphics cards, and best of all, they're not cut down or limited in any way in respects to their latest graphics cards.

here is the fully digital and customizable gauge cluster on the 2015 Audi TT.

Here is a video from CES this year showing off new nVidia/Audi tech where the Tegra K1 processor has the power to do all the complex algorythems needed to drive a car on it's own. Then there is a spot showing off the latest in digital dashboard technology where nVidia/Audi designed a system which allows "skins" for your gauge cluster that are user configurable.

I believe that is very similar if not the same kind of setup in the 2015 Audi TT.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

And now Audi is conspicuous by its absence from Apple's CarPlay.

What are they thinking?
Old 04-18-2014, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by a42000
http://online.wsj.com/news/article_e...MDIwOTEyNDkyWj

Say it ain't so, Audi. iOS would be a much more logical choice, as Audi and Apple are both driven by an excellent user experience.

This news doesn't mean that you can't connect an iPhone, I'm sure you'll be able to use an Android or iPhone.

But it sounds like from the article that Android will be built into the car. Hopefully Audi will make it more beautiful and easier to use than stock Android.

And hopefully there will be free updates for the life of the car (10 years), but I'm not getting my hopes up on that one.

I'd be much more excited about Audi supporting iOS in the car, which uses your phone as the brains, since the iPhones OS gets updated for free every year, and I get a new phone every 2 years. That seems like a much better solution.

Don't disappoint us, Audi.
They may be making decisions based on actual statistics. There are more Android phones now in service than iOS phones and the gap is growing.