S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Feeling of Stalling / Dying

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

My final turn into work is a left from a 2 lane divided road with 45 mph speed limit. There is a left-turn deceleration lane before making the final turn that must cross the 2 lanes of oncoming traffic. I can replicate the "stall" feeling perfectly almost every time on that turn each morning as I slow down from cruising speed and then try to accelerate across the street.

There have been a couple of times where the stall took me by surprise and nearly caused an accident due to my underestimating the time needed to cross in front of oncoming traffic.

I mentioned this issue to my service advisor at the 5000 mile service. They simply said could not replicate, and no software updates available.

I am going to take my car back to them next week because my passenger side view mirror is making a really loud noise when it is adjusted. I will point out the stall issue again, with further detail thanks to this thread.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
My final turn into work is a left from a 2 lane divided road with 45 mph speed limit. There is a left-turn deceleration lane before making the final turn that must cross the 2 lanes of oncoming traffic. I can replicate the "stall" feeling perfectly almost every time on that turn each morning as I slow down from cruising speed and then try to accelerate across the street.

There have been a couple of times where the stall took me by surprise and nearly caused an accident due to my underestimating the time needed to cross in front of oncoming traffic.

I mentioned this issue to my service advisor at the 5000 mile service. They simply said could not replicate, and no software updates available.

I am going to take my car back to them next week because my passenger side view mirror is making a really loud noise when it is adjusted. I will point out the stall issue again, with further detail thanks to this thread.

Try downshifting to a lower gear before making the turn next time. Please inform us if that makes any difference.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

subter--if you can reproduce it on your turn into work, offer to one meet one of the service managers there or drive them there to demo it. (hopefully you dont work toooo far away).

You dealing with audi north orlando?
Old 12-28-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yesterday I went in full manual mode on the transmission, and did not have any lag.

Today I was in normal D mode, and I got the lag.

Furthermore, I do believe the lag is tied to the steering wheel in some way, because as I held down the gas pedal and then straightened out the wheel that was when the power kicked in.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yesterday I went in full manual mode on the transmission, and did not have any lag.

Furthermore, I do believe the lag is tied to the steering wheel in some way, because as I held down the gas pedal and then straightened out the wheel that was when the power kicked in.
Let us know what Audi says. Doubt they'll figure anything out since they couldn't lower my S6. Atleast you have narrowed it down a little more.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Super weird that your radar detector loses power. Does it happen everytime your car does this?
I would say 90% of the time the radar detector will briefly power off and then back on when I experience this. I am due for my 5k so I'll talk to my dealership when I bring the car in, but given their track record, I'm worried they won't have a solution for me...
Old 12-28-2013, 10:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
I think this is the very thing a tune helps. Everyone who has a tune has reported either dramatic improvement in the lag or it disappearing probably due to the increase in torque.
I would have to wonder if I should take the plunge and get the APR tune to see if it helps my issue as well as the lag. The lag really doesn't bother me at all, to be honest; I have simply adjusted my driving habits and timing to accommodate. Shrug.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S4thrills
In my case, it is when I am slowing into a turn, then press on the accelerator as I start to exit the turn and the car just doesn't react then it kicks back in. I know what you are describing but that isn't the behavior that is causing the response from the car, it's the opposite. This is every day driving when it happens, not spirited driving in any way.

Perhaps it is the programmed response, but the parameters are off in some way.
I definitely understand what you are saying and have had the same experience, unfortunately; however, it doesn't sound like your car is actually momentarily losing power, right? That is what I am experiencing. It has always come right back, but I'm just nervous that perhaps someday it won't snap back and I'll be stuck right in front of oncoming traffic in a dead car.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting.... I will have to try to duplicate the steering wheel correlation when I'm back in town. I wonder -- do you have the recent steering update? My dealership steadfastly refuses to acknowledge its existence, and thus I don't have it personally.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I received the steering update already. I did not ask for it, either. They simply performed it while my car was in for the fuel line recall.

Quick Reply: Feeling of Stalling / Dying