S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Feeling of Stalling / Dying

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was playing around at traffic lights tonight with different accelerator input using all transmission modes. This hesitation occurs in all modes-D,S,and M. It occurs from idle around 600 rpm until about 1400 rpm and I suspect it is basically the result of the relatively low torque that the motor produces below 1400 rpm that rapidly increases above that point as the turbos spool up (i.e. the dreaded turbo lag). Not sure how an aftermarket tune can dramatically improve this.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I believe the delay is programmed in as a safety feature. I suspect anytime the wheel is turned from center, going from closed throttle to open will cause the delay. I think it's there to avoid lawsuits and accidents. You know, mom borrows S6 and hits the gas instead of the brake, or applies too much throttle in a turn...

It would also seem that the APR tune totally eliminates this delay based on other threads...
Old 12-25-2013, 05:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by birdyA6
I have a quick question for all of you guys (and girls?) before I take my car into my clueless dealership.

Recently, when I slow to a stop, or sometimes when I slow way down to take a sharp corner, once my S6 shifts all the way down, it feels like it wants to stall or die but will then jerk "back to life," if you know what I mean. This is not in M or S.

I think the power may even be momentarily shutting off, because I notice when this happens, sometimes my radar detector will shut off and immediately power back on. I just wondered if anyone has had any similar experiences. I'll definitely be taking the car in, but honestly I typically have to tell my dealership about known issues because they are clueless. They are still fighting me on the steering update which I know is out there. Sigh. Thanks in advance.
I have the same. Not only when turning, but also when I release the brake pedal and try to roll without pushing gas pedal.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the lag as well which feels like a dead spot. It almost caused me to clip a car while trying to pull out of a lane and pass another car I traffic. Now I know to expect the delay but I really wish it could be turned off without getting the APR tune.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Another observation is that the tranny is resistant to downshifting to 1st gear if the car is in motion even the slightest bit. If you don't come to a complete stop for at least half a second, it stays in 2nd gear. When you restart in 2nd, the rpms and torque are too low and you hesitate. If you don't slow to under around 5 mph when turning, you usually stay in 3rd gear and same problem exists when trying to accelerate out of the turn. RPM's are too low for the torque required.

A simple fix for this problem may be a tranny remap to get it to kick down to a lower gear more readily. Driving in manual mode and dropping to a lower gear than D/S usually does seems to alleviate the lag.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default From what I read..

I believe this is due to the DCT in the S6/S7. C&D noticed it as well and said it sometimes felt like the clutch was slipping. I'm reading enough on this issue here that it concerns me as a possible future buyer.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just wanted to add myself to the list of people who have experienced what this thread is talking about. I have a 2014 S6... have all the updates applied. I drive mostly in D mode (ADS set to Auto for engine/throttle and suspension, Dynamic for everything else). The feeling of death/stalling is annoying... I've had a few instances when I wasn't expecting it and got shoved forward in my seat. My car doesn't completely die or lose radio/electronics. I agree with others seems to be a torque/transmission gear shifting problem. Maybe they can address this with a software update if more of us complain about it and point the engineers to this forum
Old 12-26-2013, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ericiu
I've had a few instances when I wasn't expecting it and got shoved forward in my seat.
That is the feeling that I hate. Almost smashing into the steering wheel. Happened again to me today, but then I tried to drive around for 20 minutes and reproduce it but haven't been able to yet.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
I was playing around at traffic lights tonight with different accelerator input using all transmission modes. This hesitation occurs in all modes-D,S,and M. It occurs from idle around 600 rpm until about 1400 rpm and I suspect it is basically the result of the relatively low torque that the motor produces below 1400 rpm that rapidly increases above that point as the turbos spool up (i.e. the dreaded turbo lag). Not sure how an aftermarket tune can dramatically improve this.
I think this is the very thing a tune helps. Everyone who has a tune has reported either dramatic improvement in the lag or it disappearing probably due to the increase in torque.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also have the same issue.
In my experience it's a sort of a timing or gas valve problem that doesn't react the way it should.
The delay is maximum 2 seconds and is scarry at some moments.
in my opinion the car thinks it's going to stop and puts "something" in a sleep mode.
In fact you don't stop,but the car is still rolling, then if you have to drive away the car has the delay.
It could be a interaction with speed sensors from wheels/gearbox sensor etc.. Programmed wrongly.

My car is from 10-10-11 and have all the tsb's done but still the same problem.

Last edited by arjanh; 12-27-2013 at 12:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Feeling of Stalling / Dying