Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Any way to send address to nav from phone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to send address to nav from phone?

I see that I can send an address from Google Maps on my computer to my MMI. However, I am wondering if it's possible from the phone. Based on my searches I didn't find anything, but curious if anything has changed.

It appears that there is an MMI Connect app that may let you do this, but looks like it is only available in the UK.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mmi-...570608111?mt=8

Anyone have any luck trying this app here in the US?

My typical use case is I am in the car, search on Yelp on my iPhone, select a place to eat, then note the address, and finally enter it into the nav. If it's a short trip, I just use the phone.

Entering addresses on the nav directly simply sucks. The online search is super slow. The voice recognition isn't great. Compared to the user experience of searching on the phone, it's painful...

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-22-2013, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

That should be great!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

I use the app "send to car". Works great

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/send...623123860?mt=8
Old 12-22-2013, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I'm surprised people are having difficulty with the voice recognition. This is coming from somebody for whom English is a second language. As a non-native English speaker, I must say the voice recognition is pretty good once you optimized the system to your voice. I rarely have issues with it unless it involves foreign words or names, although it's amazingly accurate at understanding foreign names in my contacts and I'm constantly amazed at how unaffected it is by road noise. Maybe that has something to do with the B&O system and its ability to cancel out cabin noise.

I typically use my phone to find a place and once I know where I want to go, I either speak the address or do a quick online search while I start driving in the general direction. It could certainly be faster, but as I said, I typically start driving while it's doing its thing.

You can save quite a few steps if you use voice commands to do the online search in case you don't know. For example you can just say "Google search search term" as in "Google search Walgreens". If you want to search in another city, you can just say "Google search Walgreens in San Francisco". The search term is processed by Google, so whatever voice commands Google understands, you can use in the search term.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-22-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Or for an address you can speak: "Find address", then after she asks for it, "123 Smith Road, Bumpus Mills, Tennessee" all at once with very short pauses. If it's in the database, it will populate the address fields in the MMI and she will then ask if you want to navigate to it. Say "yes". Politely.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MichaelB_1969
It appears that there is an MMI Connect app that may let you do this, but looks like it is only available in the UK.
Yes, you can use MMI connect to search for a destination and send it to your car. There is a problem, though (aside from downloading the app, which is actually easy on Android, not sure about Apple).

The MMI Connect app interfaces with the INTERNATIONAL version (which is WAY better) of myAudi (my.audi.com), not the American one (my.audiusa.com). The two are NOT connected and, as such, you will get a different Audi Connect PIN from the international version. As far as I can tell, you cannot change the Audi Connect PIN in the MMI (factory resets don't work)...I've even asked AoA for help on it. There might be a way through the hidden menu or VAGCOM, but I haven't delved too deep into it. And, in the end, the US MMI probably won't recognize an international Audi Connect PIN anyway. If my assumption is correct, the US MMI queries my.audiusa.com directly. So it would never know about the PIN you have with my.audi.com.

Lame.

If you're still interested, here's how to get the app on Android...I'm sure there are ways to do it on Apple too. First, install the TunnelBear VPN app and register it. The free data limit of 500MB is way more than enough. Start the VPN to somewhere in Europe. Now here's the tricky part. For Android, I had to trick the "Play Store" into thinking it was on a different network even with the VPN running. To do that I used an app called MarketEnabler. With that I was able to find and download the MMI Connect app from the Play Store. This might work for you to trick your phone: http://osxdaily.com/2013/05/24/chang...nes-app-store/

Ninja edit: It looks like there are apps literally called "Send to Car" in the app store that says it's compatible with Audi...
Originally Posted by weth
I use the app "send to car". Works great

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/send...623123860?mt=8

Drew

Last edited by drdrewusaf; 12-23-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I use the Android version of Send to Car for few months, works good:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.sendtocar
Old 12-24-2013, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by weth
I use the app "send to car". Works great https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/send...623123860?mt=8
Perfect! I just downloaded it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Mike
Old 12-27-2013, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I downloaded the Audi Connect app from the Turkish Apple Store. I had to set up an account and password at Audi.com, not AudiUSA.com. Once that was done I could access it from the iPhone. Still working to figure out how to use it with MMI on my S5. Here are some pics:

Not sure why it says A3 on the screen.

Suggestions welcome.
Attached Images   
Old 12-28-2013, 02:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Audi Connect app is mend specifically for the Audi A3/S3 platform. This has different Connect/online architecture then the A4/A5 platform.

For the A4/A5, you can use Audi Music Stream (kind of TuneIN, but can be controlled from the MMI!) as well as the SendToCar feature via Google Maps (and/or via the herefore mentioned android/iOS SendToCar app).

Quick Reply: Any way to send address to nav from phone?