Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

m I being ripped off for this CPO 2016 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 01:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default m I being ripped off for this CPO 2016 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus?

I'm looking at a CPO 2016 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus with just under 6000 miles, fully loaded for the most part. I was able to negotiate the price to 39999k, but I cannot find any comparable cars in my area therefore I can't pit the dealership against anyone at the moment. I'm also in NH, so anywhere else = I don't get the tax break. I believe the KBB to be around 42k. However, here is the catch: in order to extend the bumper to bumper warranty, I would have to pay over 43k for the car in total. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of, as I'm buying a car on my own with no experience. Can someone offer any thoughts please? I'm contemplating walking away, my only hesitance is I really love the car.

My apologies in advance if this isn't the right thread to be posting in!
Old 04-11-2017, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I paid 34k for my 2016 Q5 2.0T Premium. And an extra 3500 to extend the warranty till 7 years. The car was at about 20,000kms when I picked it up. As for you being ripped off? Sounds like a good deal but not a great deal. But I know little when it comes to those matters. I just wanted to share what I paid.

Also everything was in CAD for me.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Depends on the extras. Is it fully loaded?
If you get drive select, with adjustable suspensions and sports differentials,TPMS (1AT), hill hold assist, hill descent, Bluetooth, S-Tronic 7 speed, paddle shift, navigation, WIFI, Xenon (or newer led) headlights, sunroof, leather interior, an attractive exter. colour, power tailgate, keyless entry, keyless start, lane assist, then it is worth it. Otherwise I could get a 2013-2014 Q5 that does for less.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

apoelistas-
A lot of what you list as "if you get" (presuming they are options in Cyprus?) is stock equipment on the Premium Plus model in the US.

The OP can use a number of web sites (cars.com, Kelly blue book, etc.) in the US to get market values for similar cars, and some or most of them will also take location into account.

When I picked up my last car, they were "on allocation" and damned hard to find. The local dealers all wanted well above sticker price. I wound up flying 900 miles away, making the overnight road trip home, and still saving nearly 10% on the purchase price. (Plus having a nice road trip to break it in on.)

If a dealer thinks he can command a premium because "its the only car around here"...well, maybe he can. If someone doesn't know how to get around.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Redd
apoelistas-
A lot of what you list as "if you get" (presuming they are options in Cyprus?) is stock equipment on the Premium Plus model in the US.

The OP can use a number of web sites (cars.com, Kelly blue book, etc.) in the US to get market values for similar cars, and some or most of them will also take location into account.

When I picked up my last car, they were "on allocation" and damned hard to find. The local dealers all wanted well above sticker price. I wound up flying 900 miles away, making the overnight road trip home, and still saving nearly 10% on the purchase price. (Plus having a nice road trip to break it in on.)

If a dealer thinks he can command a premium because "its the only car around here"...well, maybe he can. If someone doesn't know how to get around.
Also to clarify I am doing the 10 year extended bumper to bumper 100k warranty, and with that and prepaid maintainence the car is in the 43k range.

I did another search today, and I found some cars in various states that are at virtually the same price point, but they're not an alternative buy for me.

I wish I could find something else to provide for a match to the dealer's price. But there's only 2 Audi dealerships in my state, so maybe I need to start over elsewhere.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
apoelistas-

Cheers Red for explaining. I have to check what premium plus package consists of.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeluje
I'm looking at a CPO 2016 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus with just under 6000 miles, fully loaded for the most part. I was able to negotiate the price to 39999k, but I cannot find any comparable cars in my area therefore I can't pit the dealership against anyone at the moment. I'm also in NH, so anywhere else = I don't get the tax break. I believe the KBB to be around 42k. However, here is the catch: in order to extend the bumper to bumper warranty, I would have to pay over 43k for the car in total. I feel like I'm being taken advantage of, as I'm buying a car on my own with no experience. Can someone offer any thoughts please? I'm contemplating walking away, my only hesitance is I really love the car.

My apologies in advance if this isn't the right thread to be posting in!
Just to use as a reference, I only found one 2016 Q5 and it is a Premium Trim Level through a search on Craigslist in NH. This one is in South Boston. They're asking for $36,990 which I assume can be bargained down to probably around $35k.

That CPO '16 Q5 Premium Plus you found can probably be had for around $37k to $38k but since it is CPO, you'll have to pay that extra cost for the dealer extending the factory warranty for 2 years. Also, since used CPO '16 Q5's are rare in your area, it is a supply vs. demand reason why the Audi dealer is asking for a higher price for it. The price of extending the warranty to 10 years, which means adding another 4 years on top of the 2-year CPO warranty, will cost around $2.5k++ or around that range.

I believe, given your location and the scarcity of CPO '16 Q5's, that seems to be an OK price. Yes, you may be able to find a better priced non-CPO '16 Q5 Premium Plus out of state but how much will you be actually saving. Factor in your time and travel costs, would it make sense? Especially if KBB, Cars.com, says that the used price for a '16 Q5 in your area is around the $43k range.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Why are you limited to buying in NH? Buy in MA and register it in your home state.

Grey
Old 04-11-2017, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Z-
I know a dude who can help you smuggle an Audi from any point in the continental United States across the New Hampshire border. See, the trick is to fill the back seat with beer, cigarettes, and hard liquor, and then the border guards will be so distracted checking all that stuff, that they forget the car itself isn't supposed to be allowed in.
(VBG)

There is some value to having the local dealer's good will since presumably they will be servicing it, and the dealer has little to lose if he kinda shuns someone who brought a car in from many hours away. There is that to be said. Of course the dealer is also paying finance charges on that car every day that they own it. Maybe wait till the 28th of the month and then ask the sales manager "You really want this to be here after the end of the month?"
Everything is negotiable.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Greystoke
Why are you limited to buying in NH? Buy in MA and register it in your home state.

Grey
NH is my home state now, so buying anywhere else nearby means I'll pay at least 2k sales tax.

Quick Reply: m I being ripped off for this CPO 2016 Audi Q5 2.0T Premium Plus?