Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 cold temp shudder during slow full lock turn

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 12:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Very interested to see what they find. Mine is exceptionally loud, hence my concern.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, mine is loud, and sends a shudder right through the car. It feels a bit like you rolled over a brick sized object made of metal that then flicked up and hit the chassis.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sounds like the same exact issue. I also noticed it's more pronounced when the engine is cold.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, mine does this too. The shudder is usually only in the wheel though. I had the dealer look at it twice and they didn't find anything out the ordinary, but they also didn't tell me that it's 'normal' for an AWD car.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I also have something similar. It does not seem to be as severe as the noise and shudder described in the threads though. (My wife as never complained) I would agree that it is the AWD system, as my F150 (when in 4X4) makes a worst sound when turning on dry pavement. I was going to mention it when I brought the car in for its first service just to make sure.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As a long time Audi driver who's had to deal with more than one exploded Powersteering pump, I've learned to never put the steering into full lock.

I'm sure it's ok now, but IIRC, there was a reason for not doing it back in the "olden days"... something about the amount of hydraulic pressure increasing in orders of magnitude when the steering is at full lock.

Anyway, my point is that I have never experienced this because I never have my steering at full lock for any more than .5sec before backing it off full lock slightly.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JaXeN
As a long time Audi driver who's had to deal with more than one exploded Powersteering pump, I've learned to never put the steering into full lock. I'm sure it's ok now, but IIRC, there was a reason for not doing it back in the "olden days"... something about the amount of hydraulic pressure increasing in orders of magnitude when the steering is at full lock. Anyway, my point is that I have never experienced this because I never have my steering at full lock for any more than .5sec before backing it off full lock slightly.
This is true, to the point the revs would drop under the strain of holding the pump on against the end of the rack in many cars...
However with the electric PS I've not felt any of this issue of old, it's got to be drive train related rather than the steering mechanism. I'm picking the car up later today so will let you know what they say.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by josedebardi
This is true, to the point the revs would drop under the strain of holding the pump on against the end of the rack in many cars...
However with the electric PS I've not felt any of this issue of old, it's got to be drive train related rather than the steering mechanism. I'm picking the car up later today so will let you know what they say.
Any updates?
Old 12-11-2013, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by koobah
Any updates?
Yep - it was an exhaust heat shield, they have adjusted it and clunk is gone now. I have heard many SQ5 owners have had the same issue/fix across the various forums.

They still have my car until Sunday looking at a few other issues I raised though.
Got a poxy FWD TT Coupe Stronic for now - driving me mad - 200+bhp should be illegal in FWD cars! It's pointless. Rant over!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by josedebardi
Yep - it was an exhaust heat shield, they have adjusted it and clunk is gone now. I have heard many SQ5 owners have had the same issue/fix across the various forums.

They still have my car until Sunday looking at a few other issues I raised though.
Got a poxy FWD TT Coupe Stronic for now - driving me mad - 200+bhp should be illegal in FWD cars! It's pointless. Rant over!
Hmm, exhaust heat shield causing the tires to shudder? Not sure I understand.

Quick Reply: SQ5 cold temp shudder during slow full lock turn