A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member - New S8 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KEPetersen
Chris:

Very interesting about the VCDS cable. I'll be doing an internet search to buy one and learn more about it. To be honest, I'm still sorting through the 400+ manual pages trying to master the many technical elements and systems instructions associated with the S8. I'm guessing in that regard its on par with the space shuttle.

KEP
Ross-tech sells the VCDS cable, free software download. A bit pricey, but worth every penny. I believe they come with 1 yr tech support with purchase.
Yes, those manuals kicked my butt. The first full day I had the car, I spent almost 5 hours sitting in it reading the books. I still have not fully utilized the voice command system yet. Take your time to learn the MMI functions. For example: My S8 is 20mm lower via VCDS so I know where there are speed bumps, I can hit "car" in the MMI and I leave set in the suspension section. Spin the **** to "lift" click the button and bingo, car is raised in about 7 seconds or so.
I found that I was starting to feel comfortable moving around in the MMI after about two weeks. Not as space shuttle intimidating as the new D4 stuff seems.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome to AudiWorld!!
Great forum and wealthy resource for info and sharing ideas. I think you'll enjoy driving this 10 cylinder for a while, absolutely love driving mine. VCDS is worth getting, the peace of mind you get from just knowing an issue is priceless, just adding my 2cents
Old 11-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KEPetersen
Ah, that explains the camo pattern – figured you had to be SASR or the 2nd. Careful dealing with SEALs; they're a nefarious lot and easily discombobulated when separated from water for too long. The wings are US HALO/MFF from my SF days on an ODA. Seems long ago but the memories are still vivid and much valued. I'm in the same boat trying to scare up overdue med pension. It was well worth it all the same.

I hear you about Sydney; expensive to be sure, but loads of offsetting benefits living down under. Super place for diving, sailing, surfing, and so much more. Cars, not so much.
True that on the seals! Did an exercis with them in 04 and it was a shambles to say the least. That said we had some rubbish we needed to remove internally as well. I missed the boat on MFF as havent been back to recon/snipers since 05. In a company we basically have 2 assault platoons, mortar section and recon/sniper section. We are constantly evolving/changing and we didnt have MFF only RAPSL for rec/snpr in 05! damn!

Never worked with you guys personally, though there are a lot of foreign engagements ongoing and in the ghan there have been many joint ops, I just never got to hang with you guys during my stints, bugger!

I miss the job terribly, the people though, not so, I'm sure your with me on that. Become quite tiring to put up with a lot of the personalities. A lot of big talkers, not so many big hitters. The day of the quiet achiever in the Aussie Army is long gone! Pity, used to be one of the things we were famous for!

SF brings out the best and worst in some people! I guess I just didnt have the tolerance to put up with the worst! Miss the good guys but, they were real characters!

In the process of catching up with some OLD mates from back in my infantry days, all good, these boys are the real salt of the earth! late 80's early 90's operators! Call a spade a spade guys, not showboaters!

Good to see we stomped some of the same dirt but bro! We done our time ! lol

As for your s8, noticed you said you looking for rs grill. I got one.

check my post Upgrade Update! It shouldnt be to far back. Thing is it is too small and requires a grill surround to fit large open mouth design of update D3's

I dont know of a a8 model specific rs grill out there.
I got mine from LLTek in canada, along with a RS front bumper, so far so good! Test fitted not painted yet!

Keep an eye on it, still more ongoing bro!

Good luck with your med ****, if you guys are anything like us, you gotta fight the whole bloody way! Hook in bro!