Grattan Raceway track day 7/19/06

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default must be a pretty boring day in Kansas....

for you to jump all over somebodies post like this.

From what I've read there seems nothing wrong with the post. Its a track day, open to all, with instructors. What do you think a ACNA event is?? I wouldn't feel at all shy about doing a private track day...in fact I have been to quite a few. Get off your high horse and let people post as they wish cause your doing the Audiworld forums no favor posting ignorantly.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Weeeee....Glad to see some activity on the Midwest forum.

To all...thanks for the clarifications. I probably should have asked before jumping and for that I apologize. For the comments, I only can garner information from what is writtin. There is no inflection, no history, no background.

Understand that I've been exposed to "track days" run outside of the ACNA, PCA and BMW clubs and they are scary. When I read the first post, I was reacting to that.

To others that think I'm on a high horse...there needs to be high standards set for track events...if not laws and insurance will force the elimination of this activity. So yes, I'll keep to the high ground. And again, sounds like your event will be fine.

Thanks all for trolling the midwest forum...nice to know you could stop in. We'll all go back to sleep now sucking on our grass stalks.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I can safely say that regular ole auto insurance won't cover anything at the track.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Insurance coverage

Actually they still could. This is not a timed event which is the criteria that most insurance companies try to hold against you. This is an educational day, not a timed event.

But it wouldn't hurt to still be on good terms with your insurance agent. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about people wrecking their car at a track day, having it towed off the track property, and then making a claim elsewhere saying that a deer jumped out in front of them or something. For the record, this kind of thing has not happened on any track day of mine. I usually see that kind of person coming, and I'll know simply not to invite him in the first place. But if someone gets out of hand during one of my track days, they are simply asked to leave.

On a day like this one that I'm putting on, you only need to drive as fast as you're comfortable doing. There is professional instruction available to help you with the basics, or to help you trim up your line.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Close reading of the exclusions in the insurance policy is in order.

The vast majority of major auto insurers specifically exclude damages done on closed circuits (timed or not). The major insurers might be willing to do the occassional rider policy, but I doubt it (Progressive, for example, won't). There are a few specialty insurers out there who will insure such activities, but I doubt most folks have such policies.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:59 AM

Default Its rare that is for sure

I've only heard a couple cases in which the regular street insurance actually covered the damage on the track. An associate of mine has special drivers education insurance added to his regular policy that covers track time driving with schools.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Rest In Peace

Default That's not an accurate statement. Many policies cover non-competitive/timed track stuff.

Read the policy and pay attention to the exclusions.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:45 AM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for organizing this and for posting it! I have put on plenty of track days myself, and know it is a lot of work, and sometimes seems like it is a thankless task. Sometimes I hear people whining about things and think "why the F*ck do I even bother to do this for people" Just know that for every whiner, there are plenty who appreciate your work.

Of course, the normal caveats about safty apply - includinig no idiot driving allowed, and instruction for newbies and people who demonstrate they need some help! I know you will do a good job!

Grattan is an awsome track. I love it!
Old 06-20-2006, 02:51 AM

Default Duh!

By definition it is not street racing. It is neither racing, nor is it on the street - Duh! Yes, there are cops - corner workers and flaggers who maintain track saftey and who will throw you off the track if you are unsafe. And, if you are driving well, you will find plenty of traffic to pass.

And yes, every driver needs to be aware (beware?) Ultimately you are responsible for your saftey. If the event is being run in an unsafe fashion, and/or people are allowed to drive like idiots - walk away.

Personally, I find these events much more useful than PCNA type events - although the PCNA events are great for beginners.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Typical policy language

in the Exclusions sections of common personal auto physical damage policies includes something similar to the following:

"We will not pay for:

Loss to your covered auto or any non-owned auto, located inside a facility designed for racing, for the purpose of:

a. competing in, or

b. practicing or preparing for;

any prearranged or organized racing or speed contest."

Additionally, some insurers include an exclusion that acts as a catch-all to include any operating of the auto off of public or private roads (and tracks and parking lots are not defined as "road"). Also notice that your car being HIT at such a facility can be denied claim.

Insurers that I know that have language similar to the above in their normal auto physical damage policies: Allstate, Farmers, Progressive, Safeco, State Farm, various St. Paul Travelers subsidiaries, American Family, Auto Club (aka AAA), GEICO, 21st Century, various White Mountain subsidiaries, National Interstate, USAA, Cincinnati Insurance Co., Bristol West, Infinity (IPCC), AIG and its subsidiaries, most mutual companies and the list can go on. I believe this list covers about 90% of all insurers in the state of Missouri and possibly some that don't operate in Missouri. There likely are exceptions and occassionally agents (independent only) for insurers may have binding authority to bypass the normal exclusions, but in my experience that is rare and it is always necessary to specifically request the coverage (for the agent to contact the underwriting staff at corporate HQ).

Please note that I'm not being a jerk -- I'm only pointing out the language that exists in policies so that *if* damages occur at a track event, then people should be aware of what the financial outcome will be. The point of insurance is to cover commonplace damages taking place during normal operating environments, not the extremes of track events or auto-x.

Quick Reply: Grattan Raceway track day 7/19/06