Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Why SiriusXM Traffic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 02:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Why SiriusXM Traffic?

I have had Sirius/XM Traffic since 2005 and I let the subscription lapse because it was fairly useless compared to the other free options available. I now have my 2014 A6 which I think comes with 4 years of Sirius Traffic overlaid on the Google maps.
Why didn't they choose the Google Traffic overlay instead of the Sirius/XM option?
The last people to get informed of traffic issues are Sirius whereas the first people are Google. This morning I travelled my usual route and the whole freeway was closed so I had to take the diversion posted. The map in my A6 did not display any such closure nor did any traffic report show anything. I then got to work a few minutes later and checked Sigalert.com and that showed nothing either. Google, however, showed the closure in detail with text of what and where exactly.
It makes no sense that Audi chose the worst Traffic reporting agency available when the Audi already comes with Google maps.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

One reason might be that Sirius traffic doesn't need an Internet connection. They could have used TMC (via FM like in the RNS-E) but Sirius may have been the better service out of those two options.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Audi does not come with Google Maps; the underlying internal map data is provided by NavTeq. Audi's relationship with Google is for the optional Earth map overlay and online searches, both of which currently require a cel signal. As A4B6US stated, Sirius traffic is not dependent on an internet connection and there would be no traffic available with internet maps if one was outside of cel reception. Neither is a perfect solution.
Another factor: As of the 2013+ 3G MMI Nav Plus models, the free Sirius Traffic is subsidized by Audi for 4 years, likely negotiated as part of a Sirius Radio hardware agreement.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Audi does not come with Google Maps; the underlying internal map data is provided by NavTeq. Audi's relationship with Google is for the optional Earth map overlay and online searches, both of which currently require a cel signal. As A4B6US stated, Sirius traffic is not dependent on an internet connection and there would be no traffic available with internet maps if one was outside of cel reception. Neither is a perfect solution.
Another factor: As of the 2013+ 3G MMI Nav Plus models, the free Sirius Traffic is subsidized by Audi for 4 years, likely negotiated as part of a Sirius Radio hardware agreement.
Of course, if you are driving where you have no cell signal, you probably don't need traffic info! I think your last factor plays a bigger role.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
So I have to re-route by sign-posts and be late for work while an Audi exec and an Sirius exec laugh together on a beach in Waikiki?
Old 01-30-2014, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by weth
Of course, if you are driving where you have no cell signal, you probably don't need traffic info! I think your last factor plays a bigger role.
Good point but there are times when cel is unreliable or if I want to know the traffic situation ahead of time from a more remote location. Also, I've found that Audi Connect is not always the most reliable when you need it. It has a habit of occasionally going dark from time to time, even with a strong cel signal present.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
One reason might be that Sirius traffic doesn't need an Internet connection. They could have used TMC (via FM like in the RNS-E) but Sirius may have been the better service out of those two options.
I have used the FM system and the XM system and both are inferior to Google traffic.
If we chose to enable our SIM then the Google option instead of the Sirius option would be an added bonus for the $450/30mos investment.
My biggest question is how can Google be "Real Time Traffic" and most of the alternatives be "when we get around to it"? At least 60% of the issues are the agencies not reporting the problems but the other 40% of the problems are the encryptors expediency in getting the supplied data to your car.
I can understand that a lane closure may not be reported but a complete freeway was closed this morning and no indication was on my map. If this system was free then it would be too expensive which is why I dropped the service on my previous two cars. Four or five dollars per month for a system that is not quite as good as the free systems is a rip.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I think in a few years we will get exactly what we are wishing for when we will be able to just AirPlay or Chromecast the screen of our favorite smartphone to the built-in Nav screen. The car manufacturers may not like it because will be loosing money (who would by Navteq map updates if Google or Apple maps is free and better) but at the end that's were I hope it's all going.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
I think in a few years we will get exactly what we are wishing for when we will be able to just AirPlay or Chromecast the screen of our favorite smartphone to the built-in Nav screen. The car manufacturers may not like it because will be loosing money (who would by Navteq map updates if Google or Apple maps is free and better) but at the end that's were I hope it's all going.
why not just throw in a chromecast to your aux input.. thats what im thinking of doing then just casting from my phone....
Old 01-30-2014, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
So I have to re-route by sign-posts and be late for work while an Audi exec and an Sirius exec laugh together on a beach in Waikiki?
Out of curiosity, is there no detour function in the Audi Navigation system these days? My RNS-C had "tailback" which was painful but mostly effective...

Quick Reply: Why SiriusXM Traffic?