Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Successfully installed AMI-CAN in a 2004 A6 C5 allroad

Old 10-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Successfully installed AMI-CAN in a 2004 A6 C5 allroad

"Audi Music Interface (AMI). Universal connection for use with stereo audio sources, USB and MP3 devices including Apple iPod generation 4 onwards (iPod, iPod classic, iPod mini, iPod nano, iPod photo, iPod video, iPod touch). Provides intuitive control through the audio system and multi-function steering wheel (where fitted). It also replicates the iPod display on the audio screen and DIS, including track titles. The interface provides charging function (dependent on device). (Includes 2 cables to connect your iPod or USB MP3 device). AUX-IN is deleted with this option"

So I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but if you've retrofitted a 193 RNS-E in an A6-C5 you can now also install AMI-CAN and BT music support.

The good news:
- FULL RNS-E integration - display, media menu, controls, yada yada. It's DA BOMB
- not cheap, but not outrageously priced for OEM.
- iPhone5 compatible with the lightning cable
- plug n play - supplied harness worked without changes to vehicle wiring!
- The Viseeo Tune2Air BT dongle is compatible. This is the last step - full function wireless music integration with the RNS-E.

The hopefully good news (not personally verified yet)
- Android music should work with the microUSB cable - not sure about track data though.
- AMI module is most likely installable in the console like in some newer Audis.

The not so good news:
- Definitely needs coding, and messing with RNS-E coding can get involved.

- You can't have aux and AMI together. The AMI has multiple cables available for aux, USB, microUSB and iPod/iPhone. Only one cable comes with the kit though, and while they're available on ebay they're not necessarily cheap.

- It's designed for glovebox fit/install. Dunno about you but my music's on my phone. I want my phone charged, and I want my phone reachable - so preferably the phone cable should be in the console. Depending on how you set things up, it might mean removing the AMI module from it's plastic frame. This will void the seller's warranty.

So here's some quick pics...

Here's what I'm after (a friend found this on audi.de - I ran it through google translate)

Media menu, AMI initialized, with no device connected

AMI initializing - when you plug something in like media device or the Viseeo dongle

Device initialized and ready to play (a BT connected device also looks like this)

Playing music

AMI info is also on the DIS - cool! so much for the Dension...

The interface works great when you manage it though the RNS-E. Also works fine if you use your device track controls to go forward or backward a track, pause, etc.

One issue though - selecting a random track right from the device
Not so great if you pick a random track off your phone directly. The interface doesn't appear to have the whole library cached. It literally doesn't know where you went and starts displaying track info from where you were before. So at least in my case random track access direct from the device doesn't work well.

INSTALLATION DETAILS
The AMI chassis is designed for glove box installation, is DIN width and very deep. It has a nice shelf in it for an ipod or hard drive, but it won't fit in an A6C5 glove box without cutting the back of the bin. It also needs to be on the left to clear the fan behind the glove box.

Here's the space behind the A6 C5 glove box in my 04 AR.

If you have dedicated media devices, or if you want to switch between AMI cables to various devices like iPods and harddrives, then the glove box location is fine. That's exactly the "pre-iPhone environment" that the AMI setup was designed for.

Console connectivity
If you're playing media off your phone then you probably need connectivity in the console - not just for music but for charging too. That means relocating the AMI connection there or extending one of the AMI device cables. A CableJive DocXtender is a bit pricey -
$26 discounted at amazon $26 discounted at amazon
- but high quality. DON'T put a cheap 30 pin extension cable. They *will* break. ask me how I know

Bluetooth Music
Then there's bluetooth which lets you install the AMI interface anywhere you want. If you go that route you can just put a USB charger in somewhere on the console for power. There are 2 bluetooth options (I've used both now in my AR):

(BT option 1) an "A2DP only" adapter gives you audio streaming - a wireless aux in. I made this powered bluetooth A2DP harness for my car. It's available for $45 shipped if someone wants it - just drop me a note.

(BT option 2) the Viseeo Tune2Air dongle gives you full RNSE Media functionality with an iPhone.

WHAT WE WENT WITH FOR NOW:
My family plays music off their phones and the RNS-E SD cards. That's it. So we'll only use the iPhone interface wirelessly via the Tune2Air. We have a separate USB power charger in the console. I will definitely route a 30 pin connector there, and haven't given up installing the AMI module there too.

I didn't want to modify our glovebox because it's not useful to me to have it installed there, and I'm only using the AMI as an iPhone interface anyway - I don't need access to the AMI connector, and I'll only use the AMI 30 pin cable. So I took the module out of it's plastic frame and velcro'd it to a bracket behind the glove box.

By the way taking the module out of the plastic chassis frame voids the sellers warranty. seems pretty ridiculous as it prevents this system from being installed in some cases.

As to the wiring, the kit came with an adapter harness, but those things are always too big for me. There's only 4 wires to the AMI (power ground and CAN+/- most likely). plus the L+R audio cables. So it was really easy to just splice them into my existing radio connector.

AMI Glove Box Install Details:
Here's what a glove box bin for AMI looks like - basically a shelf and a DIN sized slot. There's no such beast for an A6C5 afaik.

Here's a super cool DUAL DIN setup with glovebox cd changer and AMI, I think from an A8. No way to do this in our gloveboxes unfortunately.

To clone the single DIN setup you'll need some sort of DIN cage/basket that you can attach to the bin. You will also have to carefully cut out the back of the bin for clearance. Glove boxes are cheap and plenty on ebay so if that's what floats your boat have at it.

There's a glovebox cd changer retrofit in a B6 S4 here. Same principle.

so if you're hell bent on installing this beast in the glove box I think it can be done.
def not a project for the light of heart though. and in the end you still don't have access from the console!

What I REALLY want - AMI right in the console!
As I mentioned earlier my 04 AR came with OnStar and tethered cell phone prep. There's a connector on the console that looks just like the AMI connector.

There's also a couple of plugs in the armrest, so it would be easy to fit cables up to it. Plenty of room inside for all the AMI cables and devices.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default RNS-E Installation

Hey,
I just ordered a 193G version of the RNS-E for my 02 A6. Did you by any chance recode a euro model for the US? Was the installation the same as installing a 192 RNS-E? Also, did you have to do any extra programming via VCDS? I heard that there were 2 versions of the 193 RNS-E, and the newer ones weren't compatible with the C5 platform.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by xspiritdannyx
Hey,
I just ordered a 193G version of the RNS-E for my 02 A6. Did you by any chance recode a euro model for the US? Was the installation the same as installing a 192 RNS-E? Also, did you have to do any extra programming via VCDS? I heard that there were 2 versions of the 193 RNS-E, and the newer ones weren't compatible with the C5 platform.
You need to make sure your unit can support CAN vehicles, not the MOST fiber optic stuff in later Audis. Hit up zawa over at quattroworld allroad forum. He can give you the details. Yes VCDS coding of the RNS-E and MFSW controls is most definitely required.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

bradnic, xspiritdannyx,

Thanks for your really excellent postings. AllroadPeter here, just signed up and new to the RNS-E / AMI retrofit game as well as to Audiworld. I drive a 2004 A6 Allroad (UK 53 plate) that had the newer double DIN dash with an RNS-E 192 and Kufatech Bluetooth fitted in 2008 by the previous owner. (Still has a standard steering wheel with no buttons though, so all control is from the RNS-E - which is OK). I'm thinking about fitting an RNS-E 193 and 8P0 057 785 AMI to get proper iPod / MP3 / Bluetooth connectivity with album and track listings and control of the music from the RNS-E. I'm not bothered about CD multichanger at all. I have a bunch of questions:

1. I presume I DO need to upgrade the RNS-E to a 193? Or can I get the (track listing and iPod / USB / Bluetooth interface) functions I'm looking for using an older (8T0?) AMI with my existing RNS-E 192?
2. By the sound of it (from various forums – not VCDS website though) my car has (early) CAN - is that likely? Is there a way to confirm this? You do see (SD card) track titles in the DIS - does that mean the car is CAN? I understand that the RNS-E doesn't get a speed signal from the CAN (if the car has it) – the previous owner said something about this and there is a hard wire patch into the loom to work around it. RNS-E engineering mode confirms the speed signal IS present in the RNS-E and although the RNS-E successfully uses the speed signal for nav, GALA DOESN’T work (on any of the settings) for some reason – which whilst not a show stopper is somewhat irritating. (I have VCDS and have played with it a bit, mainly to reset the service indicator and carefully avoiding doing any 'output tests'.)
3. New RNS-E and AMI are pretty expensive. I'm happy to buy 2nd hand but only if I can be sure that what I'm buying is a genuine upgrade sell-on and isn't nicked. (Where do those on sale in Eastern Europe come from, I wonder?) Any suggestions? (This forum maybe? Sorry, I've only just joined and haven't searched yet.)
4. I know the AMI uses the RNS-E rear connector that would otherwise be used for an AUX input (as you note above bradnic). I presume you can connect a stereo jack AUX to the AMI though? (I think bradnic you are saying that you can.) That would be handy as a catch-all for connection of any music device.
5. Does the AMI Bluetooth interface give full control of the (iPhone) on the RNS-E or does it just provide an audio stream and nothing more? How many Bluetooth devices can be paired? Is it easy to switch? Do you get album / directory structure on the RNS-E or just a long list of track titles?
6. How good is the AMI's USB interface? How big a drive can you connect? Do you get full album / directory structure on the RNS-E or just a long list of track titles?
7. Generally, based on my questions above, if I go with the RNS-E 193 / 8P0 057 785 AMI set up do you think I'll be highly impressed, happy with it or deeply disappointed?

Sorry this is a long reply and thanks for reading if you’ve got this far. Any thoughts on any of the above would be very much appreciated and I'll be sure to update this thread with whatever I decide to do.

Regards, AllroadPeter