Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Unusual engine oil consumption

Old 01-09-2011, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KarenQ5
Wow, I can't believe they replaced your engine for oil consumption.

My VW 2.0T needs a quart every 1000 miles. Service advisors says that is normal for all VW and Audi 2.0Ts
Absolutely NOT true for any engine that I can think of except one that has WAY high miles or has been abused.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may be interested in this thread - https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2795885

I see posts about oil consumption in 211hp 2.0T regularly, looks like design problem Audi does not want to acknowledge and treats each case individually, trying to make the customer believe "this is normal".
Old 01-10-2011, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I was recently in for 5K service on my 3.2 and was discussing the water pump issues. The tech mentioned that with the 2.0T's, he has been seeing a lot of oil consumption. Said not as prominent as the water pumps, but a lot of oil issues with the 2.0T
Old 01-10-2011, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just read a post on Russian Audi Club forum where guy is saying that 2.0T 211hp burns oil because oil is getting mixed with the fuel when the driver releases gas pedal - ignition is off that time, but injectors leak some fuel and it is flows unburned into the oil sunk. Guy suggests to use 5W-40 oil instead of 5W-30 and change it in shorter intervals.

Looks realistic, but may be not true (or may be one reason of the problem, as we saw here, it may be pure mechanical problem). The guy is saying Audi is working on a fix, but it is not clear if the fix will be applied to old cars - the way they react on complaints suggests that maybe not.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DimaA6_ABC_Kiev
Looks realistic, but may be not true (or may be one reason of the problem, as we saw here, it may be pure mechanical problem). The guy is saying Audi is working on a fix, but it is not clear if the fix will be applied to old cars - the way they react on complaints suggests that maybe not.
Fuel dilution on a relatively new car is not so uncommon. Rings that are not completely broken in can allow fuel to enter the crankcase and dilute the fuel...but oil consumption(oil entering the combustion chamber) is far different. Either scenario is bad on a run-in engine.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Seeking comments from folks here regarding a scenario on this topic...I have 2011 Q5 2.0T with 2600 miles on it. I check the oil level via the MMI about every other day or so, and the level has always read at the MAX level since driving the Q new off of the lot. Yesterday, I went to check it, and the MMI kept saying all day long that 'the oil level is not available...'. Today, I went and checked it, and now it is showing about 1 bar from the MIN level.

Is this a sensor problem or truely an oil loss/level issue? There are no stains or marks in my garage or driveway, so it doesn't appear to be leaking oil. I do know some have complained of oil consumption on the 2.0T engines, but I have not seen any oil consumption at all based on the MMI read out since I have had it, so it seems weird to me it would have burned that much oil in a days time...
Old 02-06-2011, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Wilmurt
Just recently Audi did a partial engine repair to our 2009 A4 2.0T due to excessive oil consumption at 24k miles. Our car was using oil at the rate of 500-600 miles per quart. As explained by our dealer, there was a bad batch of piston rings installed at the factory within a specific VIN range and our car happened to fall into that range... This engine issue must be a big problem for Audi as the dealer service manager said we are the fourth car in as many weeks to have had the same engine rebuild for the same excessive oil consumption. Has anybody else experieinced this problem?
hi,
my 2009 A4 2.0T has been having engine problems, and the dealer finally told me that germany told them to change the pistons. they have done that, but it's still not working properly and they are waiting for new "engine PCV" valve(??) to arrive from germany.
i'm really unhappy abt a "repaired engine" of a brand new car (at 25K km milage).

do you have any leads or other info on the piston problem and VIN range that your dealer service manager told you about??
i'm trying to get audi to swap me with a new A4 (or new engine?) and want to know what to avoid and how to maximise my chances of them agreeing to it.

thank you
n
Old 02-07-2011, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nays
do you have any leads or other info on the piston problem and VIN range that your dealer service manager told you about??
i'm trying to get audi to swap me with a new A4 (or new engine?) and want to know what to avoid and how to maximise my chances of them agreeing to it.
AFAIK this is not a question of VIN range. Engine has too much power for its displacement, and mechanical tolerance of its parts (pistons/rings) is not enough to produce stable oil consumption results, while it was OK for older not so advanced engines. One engine can consume a lot, while another will not burn anything. As I have heard, Audi has the following rule for this issue - you need to complain individually, then they will measure your oil consumption during 1000km, and if it is more than 0.5l, they will replace pistons. This may not help though as we see...
Old 02-14-2011, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DimaA6_ABC_Kiev
AFAIK this is not a question of VIN range. Engine has too much power for its displacement, and mechanical tolerance of its parts (pistons/rings) is not enough to produce stable oil consumption results, while it was OK for older not so advanced engines. One engine can consume a lot, while another will not burn anything. As I have heard, Audi has the following rule for this issue - you need to complain individually, then they will measure your oil consumption during 1000km, and if it is more than 0.5l, they will replace pistons. This may not help though as we see...
thank you very much.
is replacing pistons and having to open up the engine a big issue or big deal for the engine, or is it an okay thing?? should i be concerned that my engine has been opened up, pistons changed, and put back together??
thank you
Old 02-15-2011, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nays
is replacing pistons and having to open up the engine a big issue or big deal for the engine, or is it an okay thing?? should i be concerned that my engine has been opened up, pistons changed, and put back together??
If done properly, it should not be an issue. People are reporting much less or no oil consumption after this procedure.