Motorcycles Discussion Discussion forum for our two-wheeled friends

I don't post here often but looking for rec's on sport tires. I have VFR800 Interceptor. Riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I don't post here often but looking for rec's on sport tires. I have VFR800 Interceptor. Riding

style is aggressive street. No plans to go to the track.

I was leaning toward the Mich Pilot Sports but was wondering what others recommend.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:17 PM
RS9
Elder Member

I have the Dunlop Road Smart touring on my 5th Gen and love em
Old 03-08-2009, 12:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Running the Mich PR2's, love them
Old 03-08-2009, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default imho unless you're tracking or riding uber aggressive on the street it doesnt matter once...

you get them warmed up
Old 03-08-2009, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sport touring tires are all you need for street riding.

They grip perfectly fine for aggressive riding. They also last twice as long and warm up faster. I have been riding on a set of conti road attacks and they have worked great for me.

Not sure why everyone thinks they need supersport tires, do you put R-compounds on your daily driver car?
Old 03-08-2009, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

To clarify, I meant sport bike type tires. Not racing (i.e. R) tires. How are the Conti's in wet?
Old 03-08-2009, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default on my 6th gen VFR i ran and liked

Dunlop Road Smarts and Bridgestone 021s. Both are great tires, i wouldn't hesitate to buy another set of either. I have Pilot Road 2s on the K1200RS now, not enough miles on them for an opinion yet.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I haven't had any issues in the wet.

I can ride at a normal pace and not be nervous about losing traction. If you get too heavy with the throttle the rear will start to step out, but that is true with any tire.

What I like about them is their rounded profile. It gives the bike a linear feel while turning in. The more you want to lean, the more pressure you need to apply to the bars. Some sportier tires have a steeper profile that is good for quicker turn in, but can make the bike feel more nervous as less force is needed on the bars to increase your lean angle.

They have been available for a few years now so hopefully you would be able to find a set for less than the other major brands.<ul><li><a href="http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/tires/road-attack.php">http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews/tires/road-attack.php</a</li></ul>
Old 03-09-2009, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I actually have the exact smae feelings about my Pilot Powers.

I've got them on my bandit and im so far seeing good mileage and a LOT of confidence in the wet. I ride all year.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:41 PM

Default A little difficult to make a recommendation...

You have to be honest with yourself on how "agressive" your riding style really is. I've had people tell me they're really fast and ride very agressively so I'd let them lead a ride. Then, I almost always would run right up to their rear tire in every corner without even trying. IMO, riding agressively means you're touching footpegs/kneepucks to the pavement...which you really shouldn't be doing on the street. If you ARE, then touring tires are not going to cut it. Get a sticky sportbike tire like a Pilot Power or Power 2CT.

If you're NOT touching hard parts to the pavement regularly then a sport/touring tire will be absolutely fine. You mentioned the Pilot Sport...which I believe you're referring to the Sport HPX. It's a good tire, but the Pilot Road or Road 2 is a better tire, IMO. Plenty of traction for "spirited" riding and very decent tread life. The Pilot Road is also usually pretty affordable compared to the other models.

Quick Reply: I don't post here often but looking for rec's on sport tires. I have VFR800 Interceptor. Riding