Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Gorilla Wheel Locks..

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gorilla sells complete matching sets; 20 standard Lug bolts and 4 locks. However, if you're using a

wheel with a center cap, why pay for 20 bolts that you don't need. Just by four locks and take out four of the factory bolts. Much simpler.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh, and IMPORTANT advise everyone...

If you are using aftermarket wheels that require a different size bolt than standard, remember to carry at least one set of standard bolts in your car; remember that the spare is an OEM wheel. Should you get a flat, and not have a set of standard size bolts, you won't be able to properly install your spare tire, and you'll be screwed.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Look at page 13 of the catalogue. I don't believe what you are looking at will work with

our cars. They don't use lug nuts, they use lug bolts.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Most high end wheel shops carry both brands. Check one out. I found one right in my neighborhood.
Old 05-02-2002, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Would stink if you used different wheels for winter and summer which require different length bolts.

That's my situation, as is alot of others. Therefore, would never convert to studs.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Ted

Thanks. I've had the car for 4 years and never had to take the wheels off myself. Always had the dealer do it during visits and during tire changes. I never knew Audi's had wheel lug bolts that needed to be removed. Well, I should know by this afternoon what will work and won't. I am dissappointed that the ones I wanted won't work.

And believe me, the thought of buying 5 sets with 5 separate keys to maintain balance.....not an option really. I've got 16" with snows and then these 17" OZ with the S-03's or the rest of the year. Changing them twice a year would have been a headache.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't forget to keep a set of lugs that fit your spare in the car. If you don't have a place for it

rap them each in a paper towel, and then put them all in a zip lock down in your wheel well. You don't want to get stuck.
Old 05-02-2002, 09:07 AM

Very good reminder, yes!
Old 05-02-2002, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Good advice. Also, remember to keep a thin wall socket/wrench in the car if...

your rims require them. My SSR Integrals, for example, cannot be removed from the car with the factory wrench because it is too thick and does not fit into the bolt hole in the rims.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Final results

Went to the tire/wheel shop with the wheel and ended up with a bag of 20 Gorilla 14/1.5 lug/locks. One threaded piece with the keyed (external) head (page 13 of their catalog). When I asked about the type with the slip ring that covers the keyed portion (see photo in prior post), they remarked that they have corrosion problems and sometimes need to be drilled out. And that they have found them to be no better than the regular locks regarding security (who knows?)

Perfectly packaged and delivered wheels and tires from Larry at Tire Rack (got tired of getting Ed's voicemail, and I hate playing phone tag...sorry Ed, looks like you get enough business already).

So, hours later, I have 4 17x8 OZ Crono's each with 5 locking lugs installed. The enclosed socket fit fine, the lugs seated perfectly and they look great.

Total cost for the 20 lugs $49.00. Probably could have found them cheaper, but after $1800 for the Crono's and S-03's....who has time to bother.

Now for a sport suspension..........then brakes and PES???

Thanks for all the input.

mark

Quick Reply: Gorilla Wheel Locks..