S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Stasis Rear Sway

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stasis Rear Sway

Trying to get a little more info on the Stasis rear sway before pulling the trigger. The car could definitely use a reduction in understeer and body roll (even in Dynamic). I had a H-Sport rear sway on my B8 S4 and thought it was one of the best bang-for-the-buck mods I had.

Just so I am clear--- there is no S6 rear sway, correct? People have been buying the Stasis Rear A6 sway bar? Also, where have people been buying from? Cost?

Any additional details & insight would be appreciated. Any increased road feedback into the steering wheel? Ride difference?
Old 04-08-2014, 10:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm also interested. How does the rear anti bar reduce understeer?
Old 04-09-2014, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Stasis A6 RSB is thicker than the stock S6 bar and offers a similar improvement to body roll reduction as it does on the B8S4. I think most people ordered directly from Stasis and I think it's in the neighborhood of $350 ish. That includes the bar, poly bushings, and silicone grease.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

When I called a few months ago, Stasis told me their Anti Roll Bars were only sold as part of their suspension kits. However, they were just starting to get calls for the bars alone so were willing to pull them out of the kits and sell them separately. He quoted me $360 back then. Not sure if they are now distributing stand-alone ARBs to other retailers so buying direct may still be the only option to obtain them.

Stasis did suggest for those with the A6 the sport package (which supposedly has the same suspension components as the S6) to get their suspension kit upgrade when using their ARB as it was possible to actually have a rear wheel lift off the ground in an aggressive turn if not careful. Not sure if this was true or just a wish on their part to sell the whole kit.

To the poster who asked how the ARB reduces understeer: by stiffening rear body roll with a thicker bar, there is less weight transfer of the chassis to the outside in a turn which reduces the tendency for the front of the car to "plow" or understeer if pushed too hard. Oversteer is the opposite condition where the rear end can break free sooner. Most passenger cars are designed from the factory with some understeer to reduce the risk of spinning out without little warning vs understeer which does provide warning and is more easily corrected by the driver. The trick for drivers who like to push the envelope (and most certainly with race cars), is to find the right neutral balance. A thicker ARB can help achieve that balance. Finally, for those reading this who maybe wondering, an ARB has no effect on ride comfort.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Finally, for those reading this who maybe wondering, an ARB has no effect on ride comfort.
Yes and no. An anti-roll bar has the effect of stiffening the spring rate of the axle it's attached to. If you hit a road undulation that affects both wheels on that axle equally, the bar will simply rotate in its bushings and will not add to the spring rate (i.e. no change in ride comfort). If, however, you hit a bump with only one wheel, it will feel harsher. It's still a more comfortable alternative to merely stiffening the springs, in which case the ride is stiffer in every situation.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ride caveat

If the poly bushings are less compliant (harder) than stock, that will affect ride. On previous cars of various sorts I had too thick ARBs made on occasion and the torque of body lean tore them right out the chassis mounts. I presume Stasis has found a compromise. Does anybody know the thickness or compliance of the Stasis bar compared to stock? I've actually never looked at the stock bar, since I no longer autocross. Choosing the right bar depends on having the right kind of sticky tires.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DD1546
If the poly bushings are less compliant (harder) than stock, that will affect ride. On previous cars of various sorts I had too thick ARBs made on occasion and the torque of body lean tore them right out the chassis mounts. I presume Stasis has found a compromise. Does anybody know the thickness or compliance of the Stasis bar compared to stock? I've actually never looked at the stock bar, since I no longer autocross. Choosing the right bar depends on having the right kind of sticky tires.
Good info on this thread...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...light=sway+bar
Old 04-09-2014, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As someone who has the sway bar, I can tell you that the car just feels tighter in a very good way. The ride isn't anything even remotely close to harsh. The overall turn-in response is improved and there is less body roll. It just gives the car that 10-15% sportier handling feel without any discernable harshness.

IMO, this is a no-brainer mod. Huge bang for the buck.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DD1546
If the poly bushings are less compliant (harder) than stock, that will affect ride. On previous cars of various sorts I had too thick ARBs made on occasion and the torque of body lean tore them right out the chassis mounts. I presume Stasis has found a compromise. Does anybody know the thickness or compliance of the Stasis bar compared to stock?
The stock bar is 20.7mm and the Stasis is 25.4mm.

Poly bushings are generally stiffer than rubber (stock). I agree that stiffer bushings in general suspension components as a whole will usually transmit vibrations and such into the chassis that you can feel. However with the sway bar there's not a lot of force on it until one tire lifts up or down a significant amount. So in my experience, ride quality in general is not affected.

The one exception is when you're going over a speedbump for example with only 1 wheel at slower speeds. The bar will tend to push the body to the side that's flat on the ground. And when that wheel comes off the bump, it immediately tries to pull the car back down. However I feel that this effect is minimal and well worth the positive improvement in cornering.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agreed

Agreed, I just wanted people to know that the poly bushings may have an effect. When I was younger and serious about SCCA, I would generally replace all of the suspension bushings with poly. Assuming the same tensile strength, the Stasis bar is much stiffer since you need to look at the cross sectional area and compare the two. I have never swapped sway bars on a car with air suspension. Think it makes a difference? From what I've read, the optional suspension package on the RS6 has a unique solution to the problem.

Originally Posted by RobC
The stock bar is 20.7mm and the Stasis is 25.4mm.

Poly bushings are generally stiffer than rubber (stock). I agree that stiffer bushings in general suspension components as a whole will usually transmit vibrations and such into the chassis that you can feel. However with the sway bar there's not a lot of force on it until one tire lifts up or down a significant amount. So in my experience, ride quality in general is not affected.

The one exception is when you're going over a speedbump for example with only 1 wheel at slower speeds. The bar will tend to push the body to the side that's flat on the ground. And when that wheel comes off the bump, it immediately tries to pull the car back down. However I feel that this effect is minimal and well worth the positive improvement in cornering.

Quick Reply: Stasis Rear Sway